Calling all experienced model makers- Large Japanese Diorama

GetNewDesign

My company has been commissioned to create a large Japanese temple and house diorama for a video project to shoot in February 2015.

We are looking for any experienced modellers based in London who would like to help us create the diorama. 

- The dioramas need to be aged/weathered in order to give it as much reality as possible. 

-It is very important that the buildings are surrounded with dense foliage or the background is blocked by a rock face etc. in order to make it easier for us to film more angles.

-We are looking to achieve something like the below images on a 1:150 scale or 1:100

If you are interested, please PM me and I will send you a more detailed outline of the project.

-I apologise if this is not the right forum board to add this message but thought it may be a fun (non-train) project that you could get involved in.

post-2780-0-72050600-1418825801_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the link and advice. One of our options is to build from scratch and the other is to buy the model kits and age/weather them. However, the most important thing for us is the scenery around the building. it has to be dense vegetation and/or rock faces. Thats why i thought maybe the train modellers would be the best people to ask for advice as you guys are probably the most experienced scenery builders out of all hobbyists!

Definitely for the buildings, buy, don't build.

Here's a little bit from my layout.  The temple is a Tomytec set.  The only modification to the Tomytec set from what you get out of the box is the use of architectural modelling powders bought in Japan (the bright white and brown "stone ground cover" in the temple grounds).

The vegetation that you see on the mountainside is just regular Kato/Woodland Scenics packet stuff.  A mix of medium and dark green.

P1040689s.jpg

• Like 2

Here's a little bit from my layout.  The temple is a Tomytec set.  The only modification to the Tomytec set from what you get out of the box is the use of architectural modelling powders bought in Japan (the bright white and brown "stone ground cover" in the temple grounds).

The vegetation that you see on the mountainside is just regular Kato/Woodland Scenics packet stuff.  A mix of medium and dark green.

P1040689s.jpg

Hi VJM,

That looks fantastic. Would you be interested in working working with us on this project?

Your woodland areas look really great!

Get,

There are quite a few 1/150 scale temple kits out there to start with and woody joe has a few laser cut wood kits at 1/100 as well. I think you could kitbash just about what you want from these.

There is an excellent architectural modeling shop in London that I also believe builds models as well, but sell a wide range of scenery bits you may need.

In 1/150 there are quite a few tonytec scenery bits and figure sets for temples/shrines as well to help.

I think you are right in that you could find a few experienced train Modelers to build and modify the kits then weather them and apply the surrounding landscaping. They would not have to be Japanese oriented Modelers to do this if you supplied them with lots of reference photos and the appropriate recompense.

It is amazing what effects you can get with the right scenery, weathering and spot details. It's the little things that trick the mind's eye into believing the model is real and the good modeler can find these and not have to get into the loop of everything having to be absolutely perfect as this always takes you down the rabbit hole as the bits not quite perfect tend to stand out and scream at you. Also using a good model photographer helps as they know the lighting tricks, angles and lenses to use to make things look very real. I did a lot of scale exhibit design modeling when I was younger and it was amazing what we could do with photographing very simply made models, many times folks thought they were real exhibits! Lots of

Cheers

Jeff

Get,

There are quite a few 1/150 scale temple kits out there to start with and woody joe has a few laser cut wood kits at 1/100 as well. I think you could kitbash just about what you want from these.

There is an excellent architectural modeling shop in London that I also believe builds models as well, but sell a wide range of scenery bits you may need.

In 1/150 there are quite a few tonytec scenery bits and figure sets for temples/shrines as well to help.

I think you are right in that you could find a few experienced train Modelers to build and modify the kits then weather them and apply the surrounding landscaping. They would not have to be Japanese oriented Modelers to do this if you supplied them with lots of reference photos and the appropriate recompense.

It is amazing what effects you can get with the right scenery, weathering and spot details. It's the little things that trick the mind's eye into believing the model is real and the good modeler can find these and not have to get into the loop of everything having to be absolutely perfect as this always takes you down the rabbit hole as the bits not quite perfect tend to stand out and scream at you. Also using a good model photographer helps as they know the lighting tricks, angles and lenses to use to make things look very real. I did a lot of scale exhibit design modeling when I was younger and it was amazing what we could do with photographing very simply made models, many times folks thought they were real exhibits! Lots of

Cheers

Jeff

Hi jeff,

Thanks for your feedback. I will definitely take your advice and try kitbashing Woody Joe, Tomytec and scratch built stuff to see what happens. 

I am now looking for a decent model photographer to see if they know anything about film or if they know anyone who may be able to help us.

Once again, thanks, you have all been very helpful!

P1040689s.jpg

Have you ever shared pics of your layout on the forums? If not, could you? The layout looks very nice!

... the most important thing for us is the scenery around the building. it has to be dense vegetation and/or rock faces. ...

I know a guy who does great Fiords !!! ;)

• Like 1

I know a guy who does great Fiords !!! ;)

Let me guess - his name is Slartibartfast. :)

Cheers,

Mark.

Edited by marknewton