Freight yard configuration - 1970s

whiteoak

I'm following two themes (after catching the Japanese Railway Bug), one of which is winter operations in Hokkaido in the steam era.I have aspirations of a winter layout of a small through station at the bottom of a grade where helper engines  (a 9600) are added to trains. So there will be a short spur complete with turntable.

Other parts of the emerging design are a single platform with a bay for a branch train operated by a  Kiha, a through line and a goods siding. 

For the goods siding would this be a loop siding - ie a point at each end, or a stub ended spur.?

Were goods sidings located on the same side as the passenger station buildings, or opposite with separate road access? 

Is there is an online source of authentic prototype track plans? 

Thanks

Kelvin White

Ashendon

• Like 1

I've seen examples of all the arrangements you describe, but the most common seems to have been a single point leading to a spur, and the goods shed on the same side as the station platform and building. It also seems to have been fairly commonn for the goods shed to be on a bay or dock platform to the rear of the station platform.

If you're planning to include a turntable, there's good photographic coverage of typical JNR examples on the website that Darklighter has linked. The turnatble pages start here:

http://senrohaisenzu.cocolog-nifty.com/blog/2010/03/post-7f29.html

1979071933.jpg#_ga=1.201668308.433803204

Look closely at this photo, it has everything you need - station platform, goods shed located close to the station building on a bay platfrom, a turntable and even a water tank! :)

Cheers,

Mark.

Edited by marknewton
  • Like 1