Hello from Ottawa, Canada

gerryo

I have been modelling almost all gauges at one time or another.  I started with N Scale along with the Ottawa N-Track Club.  Moved to Z scale for many years, and had a few layouts which I used to display at different model shows all over eastern Canada.  All of my Z gauge was Marklin.

As I got older, ( I'm now 73,) I found that I was unable to manipulate the Z gauge trains, so am now a member of a British outline OO layout which we travel over eastern Ontario.

Last year we moved to an apartment so have been trying to come up with a layout for a small bedroom.  Spent all last winter and spring designing a layout for British N scale, but ran into problems getting the items that I needed.  So almost decided to give up on model railroading.

That's when I saw an ad in a mag. for the Kato Unitram set.  I had built a small layout using Kato Unitrack and found it to be a very good system, so decided to look further into the Unitram line.  On finding out that I could combine the Unitrack and the Unitram systems, I knew that I had found my new railroad.

My new design will be built 10 feet long by 4 feet 4 inches wide.  (For no other reason than I already have the tables built that work out tto those dimensions.)

More on the new layout to come later.

Welcome Gerry,

We had a couple of members from the Ottawa area. One was doing trams but I don't think has been around for a while.

Keep us posted on your progress, start a layout thread, will be interesting to see what you do. You have a good bit of space for your layout! Are you planning on going Japanese for the layout?

Cheers,

Jeff

Ps love the Canadian History Museum there!

Hi Jeff.

I will be doing everything Japanese as long as I can get the items I need. Right now I have one Japanese train made by Tomix. I have had it for years and still don't know it's designation. Maybe I'll take a picture and see if anyone here knows what it is.

I guess I should start a build thread to keep up with what I'm doing and with what I have ordered. It seems that some things take much longer than others.

Anyway, it is good to find like minded people on here. Keep up the good work

Gerry.

Gerry,

Great! No problems getting Japanese n scale items. Several great sources, check out the supplier forum.

Sal shipping takes around 2 weeks, Ems 3-5 days. Of course the holidays probably shows the post some on the Canada end.

Cheers

Jeff

Welcome from me too! Ottawa is the only place in Canada I've ever visited (twice!), didn't get to see much rail action there apart from the construction site of the new light rail tunnel, which helped keep me awake many a jet-lagged night as I was staying right opposite one end of it.

Sorry about that, but we need some progress in this town. We've been waiting many years for light rail and this is a start on that system. We hate to see it all go to Japan. lol

Have a good Christmas Holiday.

Gerry