Kato Viaduct Set

Sascha

I am wondering what the difference between the older (Kato 20-840) and the newer (Kato 20-872)Viaduct Set is other than the price.

Live long and prosper.

Hi Sascha

I have the newer set and haven't physically seen the older set. I don't think there is much, if any, difference with the track itself. The older 20-840 set seems to come with 6x 248 double viaduct straight track pieces whereas the newer 20-872 comes with 8. The catenary supports on the older set looks like it takes the standard width catenary whereas the newer set has the wide catenary holders. I assume this mean you get a couple of extra supports and catenary holders in the new box too.

The only thing I'm not sure of is whether the curves are banked on the old version.

Kamome

Edited by Kamome
  • Like 1

Stop an think for a little second what you are attempting to achieve in your layout.  I for one didn't know there was non super elevated curved viaduct stuff out there.

With the new viaduct stuff, because you need a transition piece for the curves, it makes is very difficult to put a s-bend in a small place.  So the viaduct stuff might be better for this application.

If you are just doing a simple loop for a Shinkansen track layout, then the above will not apply as the transition piece will not effect the final outcome.

I will be now spending a little time investigating the older viaduct sets to see if possible to create a commuter viaduct setup like the Yamanote Line etc.

• Like 1

I decide to do a 10 foot(305 cm ) by 4 (122 cm) layout, so I have plenty of space. My Shnkansen will run mostly at the outside of my layout, in a loop. All my other trains will be occupying the inside of my layout.

Doing a S in the double viaduct is not advisable. It requires a good spacer (186 min) to not cause issues.

Jeff

What means'A good spacer' 186 min?.

more than the length of a car. so a S186/186mm or longer.

So that means that you have to put a S 186 between any curved track? I guess you only have to do it with the tighter curves and not with the 414/381 mm?

Live long and prosper.

Krackel Hopper

I would add a spacer between curves even with 414/381 track. With the super elevated curves (banked curves) this becomes even more important. If you do not add a spacer, your train car will have one wheel banked inside and the other banked outside while the car is going two different directions. This will lead to derailments and frustration.

Anytime using super elevated curves, do not make an "S" curve.

I would only consider an "S" curve if I had flat track and at least 20" radius curves. Otherwise, avoid frustration and derailments by adding a spacer.. at least 186mm and if possible a full 248mm..

This suggestion is based on Shinkansen and any long length cars. Shorter passenger/freight will have less issues.. but probably best to avoid if at all possible. Running trains should be fun. I've seen & heard about too many people frustrated and giving up the hobby because poor track planning led to derailments and frustration.