Tomix Twilight Express questions

spacecadet

I've had the Tomix 92240/41/42 Twilight Express set for a while now. I noticed they've released an updated set with model numbers 92459/60/61. I can't seem to figure out what the differences are - does anyone have any idea? I'm obsessed with the rapido couplers on my current set, so I'm wondering if they've done anything with making the TN couplers optional or anything. I think on mine all I can do is install dummy couplers on the end cars. But I'm wondering if there are any other improvements too.

Same with the EF81 that's part of the set. Shortly after I bought mine, I went to Tam Tam in Akihabara and the guy there gave me a set of JC6351 couplers that he said would work, but I have never been able to figure out how to install them and they've been sitting on a shelf for literally about 4 years now. I'm sure there's gotta be some dumb trick to taking everything apart - how do you actually do it? That rapido coupler sticking out the front makes me want to commit seppuku.

Thanks for any help.

Edited by spacecadet
Davo Dentetsu

I think a local club member has an alternative Twilight Express to me, because there are subtle differences between the two (mine feature the JR logos prominently, therefore I have the latter three codes you mentioned)  But apart from that... I'm not too sure.  I think technically for the most part they are the same, but happy to be corrected on that.

(mine feature the JR logos prominently, therefore I have the latter three codes you mentioned)  But apart from that... I'm not too sure. 

Does yours have anything in the instructions about installing TN couplers anywhere but the end cars? The older set shows clearly that you can just install "dummy couplers" on the end cars only (it actually says it in the text, but you can see it in the pictures as well). And it doesn't list TN couplers as an option in the optional accessories chart.

Edited by spacecadet
Davo Dentetsu

Oh, I've done something odd.  I appear to have 92459/92241/92242.    That must be because the Twilight stock in the local shop was never complete, so I got the first basic set I can find.  So to answer that question, seems I only have end car capability according to the instructions.

Edited by Azumanga Davo

Does yours have anything in the instructions about installing TN couplers anywhere but the end cars? The older set shows clearly that you can just install "dummy couplers" on the end cars only (it actually says it in the text, but you can see it in the pictures as well). And it doesn't list TN couplers as an option in the optional accessories chart.

just buy an additional part called 'body mounted TN coupler (knuckle type)' and install it like how you install the dummy coupler.

edit: my bad, i misread it. for non-end cars buy a part numbered 0391 and replace the rapido with it.

Edited by HantuBlauLOL

edit: my bad, i misread it. for non-end cars buy a part numbered 0391 and replace the rapido with it.

Thanks, that helps. Just so I'm clear, are these drop-in truck-mounted TN couplers?

Do you have any tips on replacing the EF81 couplers? I am just not sure how to actually take the stock couplers apart. And would these take the same 0391's?

Not really a drop-in though..

This article shows how to install it

http://akihabara.artificial-science.org/2010/02/02/installing-truck-mount-tn-couplers/

For the EF81 you need 0392, which already included in the box usually.

To install it, first you need to open the cowhanger from the chassis. Then open the snowplow from it. After that you will see the rapido releases itself from there. Then put the 0392 in there and put all of them back into one piece.

Edited by HantuBlauLOL