Regional operator Shizuoka Railway has announced that it has ordered new rolling stock for the first time in 40 years.  Delivery will begin in Spring 2016 and extend over eight years, and totals 24 units organized in 12 sets of two units each.  Carbodies will be stainless steel, VVVF inverter equipped, AC motors.  Service speed will be 70km/h, the same as current units. Energy consumption will be 50% of current units.

http://response.jp/article/2014/11/28/238503.html

http://train.shizutetsu.co.jp/shingata-syaryou.html

• Like 1
Mudkip Orange

Wow, it looks like every other Kanto-area rolling stock from the last 10 years.

I hope they preserve a couple of the current gangstamobiles for fan trips etc.

• Like 2

Yeah... almost every new commuter/local rolling stock in Japan seems to have the same base nowadays, even more than before. I'm more of the obscure looking trains rather than these one-in-a-dozen trains with only a changed front. Not that this isn't happening in Europe, it's the same and it is as boring as this.

Edited by Densha
  • Like 1

Yeah... almost every new commuter/local rolling stock in Japan seems to have the same base nowadays, even more than before. I'm more of the obscure looking trains rather than these one-in-a-dozen trains with only a changed front. Not that this isn't happening in Europe, it's the same and it is as boring as this.

In short, many of the new EMU's are based the design pioneered by the E231/E233 Series? That may not be such a bad thing given it saves a lot of money on development costs, since it is a well-proven design.

After all, the E233 will become the basis for the E129, which will replace the 115's in the Niigata area and (in my opinion) eventually replace all the 115's running on the Chūō Main Line west of Takao Station and possibly even the Shinano Railway, since these lines experience substantial winter weather.

Tokyu Railcar (now J-TREC) has been the traditional supplier for Shizutetsu, so yes, it's pretty much a given you're going to get a stainless product more or less a clone of a Tokyu Dentetsu railcar.  Fortunately, the craze for stainless steel cars pretty much ends at the cultural divide at Sekigahara/Ibigawa (with the exception of Nankai), so if you want to see proper painted rolling stock, go west, young man.

Edited by bikkuri bahn
  • Like 1
Mudkip Orange

Stainless isn't the problem, boredom is the problem. The current Shizu trains are stainless, but they've got fluted sides, slant front ends, and those two big-ass round headlights mounted low and wide, which gives it a "stance" not dissimilar to the land yachts of the 1970s.

• Like 1

Oh, you mean this?

640px-Shizutetsu1007.jpg

I wonder will train riders in the Shizuoka area recognize just how much the trainset will be so different with the new model.

Mudkip Orange

I wonder will train riders in the Shizuoka area recognize just how much the trainset will be so different with the new model.

The current-gen Tokyu 7000 series looks remarkably like an updated Shizutetsu 1000. I don't see why they couldn't manufacture a 2-car version.

Oh, you mean this?

640px-Shizutetsu1007.jpg

Will they even care for the difference?  They are trying to get to and from work, not train watching.

December 2014 news item about this on Tetsudou Fan News: http://railf.jp/news/2014/12/01/150000.html

and one from today: http://railf.jp/news/2015/06/19/180000.html

These will be the A3000 series, A standing for activate, amuse, and axis.  The first set will be a 2-car formation (won't they all?) of powered car A3001 and trailer A3501.  There will be 12 sets total; 7 will be a color of the (t)rainbow each, the remaining 5 will be silver.  The first set will go into service in spring 2016, and the railbow ( :)) colored sets will be complete by 2019, the railway's 100th anniversary.

Dang. When these trains pop up, I want to visit Shizuoka (it shouldn't be too expensive) and snap the old ones before they're gone. The express service also needs to be had.

Dang. When these trains pop up, I want to visit Shizuoka (it shouldn't be too expensive) and snap the old ones before they're gone. The express service also needs to be had.

You know there will be lot of railfans in the Shizuoka area when the new trainsets arrive in 2016.

You know there will be lot of railfans in the Shizuoka area when the new trainsets arrive in 2016.

Yes. I'll be there when there aren't. Because I can. XD

bikkuri bahn

New promotion videos from Shizutetsu. Hat tip to Sr.Horn at SSC

Edited by bikkuri bahn
  • Like 1

Excellent find! I can't decide which video I like best, since the first one shows a quick CAD glimpse of the design and the 2nd one is very cute.

Also, I've been talking to my wife to visit Shizuoka on a Seishun 18 kippu this summer for a day. Leave early from Machida, go to Yokohama, transfer to the Tokaido line, change twice and return in the afternoon. It should take under three and a half hours to get to Shizuoka, so it's doable in a day's time and leaves some respectable time to watch Shizutetsu. Hmmm....

IMHO, although the same style model will be released.. but it won't be too boring to wait for something new... I compared this to the racing vehicles like F1 cars which always release new model every year and not always in good look, but still it is interesting to wait for...

Very lucky Japanese people that their train companies always regularly releasing new models to modernize their fleet.. rather than keep using the same trains and have to wait to receive new models after 40 years or more, that will be more boring IMO..

Excellent find! I can't decide which video I like best, since the first one shows a quick CAD glimpse of the design and the 2nd one is very cute.

Also, I've been talking to my wife to visit Shizuoka on a Seishun 18 kippu this summer for a day. Leave early from Machida, go to Yokohama, transfer to the Tokaido line, change twice and return in the afternoon. It should take under three and a half hours to get to Shizuoka, so it's doable in a day's time and leaves some respectable time to watch Shizutetsu. Hmmm....

I believe from Yokohama Station, you only need to change trains once--at Atami, the division point between JR East and JR Central--to reach Shizuoka. I do know that JR Central runs a local train from Atami all the way to Shimada Station, which is well west of Shizuoka.

Machida-Yokohama-Atami-Skizuoka using locals/rapids or Machida-ShinYokohama-Shizuoka using locals/Hikari/Kodama cost the same.

And reason for not doing the quicker route?  Or you have other plans for the Seishun 18 ticket?

Sorry, not trying to prove a point.  Just was curious of the decision making process.

Edited by katoftw

Can't use Seishun 18 for shinkansen.

True. That's why I mentioned the Yokohama to Atami (JR East) and Atami to Shizuoka (JR Central) two train service. Yes, it takes a long time, but it is very scenic (for the most part).

Or limited express.

But I made a mistake anyway.  The 2 options are priced differently by 2000ish yen.

Edited by katoftw

I know very well the Seishun 18 ticket is valid only on local and rapid trains (not sure why this was even brought up). These services, do not cost the same as Shinkansen or Ltd. Exp. as well... Shinkansen is about 3000 more than local trains, which means +6000 more that can be spent much better otherwise. IMO that is a very good reason NOT to do the quicker route.

There are also through trains to Numazu in the morning, so no real need to change in Atami.

Sorry Toni.  What I meant was why the 5 day keppu for this trip?  But guessing you are doing more than just this Shizuoka trip if getting the 5 day keppu?  Which is why I questioned the purchasing of a 5 day keppu.

Edited by katoftw

Sorry Toni.  What I meant was why the 5 day keppu for this trip?  But guessing you are doing more than just this Shizuoka trip if getting the 5 day keppu?

There are other uses for this ticket, plus I won't be going alone. It's not a 5-day ticket, but a 5-slot ticket, which means a slot can be used for one person, for one day, meaning it can also be used for 5 persons in one day or in another algorithm.