Japan travel tip V2

katoftw

bikkuri bahn

Ochanomizu 20 minutes tops. Then go to Ecute Kanda Manseibashi and enjoy the cafe located between the Chuo Line tracks. Akihabara is a short walk away if that area interests you. By the way, the Tokyo Metro museum in Kasai has a nice model of the Ochanomizu station complex.

post-133-0-27815700-1470119950_thumb.jpg

post-133-0-84599400-1470119877_thumb.jpg

Edited by bikkuri bahn

That reminds me, in the arcade in the viaducts underneath the cafe there's a small N-scale model of Manseibashi station as it used to be, and a cabinet with models of most/all of the (commuter) trains which run/ran on the Chuo line.

So we arrive in Japan next Thursday. :)

14THU - Arrive at Narita on pm flight, travel to Chuo-Ku Tokyo
15FRI* - Travel to Higashiyama-Ku Kyoto + ???
163SAT* - Arashiyama half day itinerary + Randen + Kinkajuki
17SUN* - Osaka Castle + Namba + Dotonbori/Shinsekai (dinner)
18MON* - Otsu
19TUE* - JRW Museum + Kyoto Aquarium + Kyoto Tower + Kyoto Station
20WED* - ??? + travel to Hakata-Ku Fukuoka + Yatai stalls (dinner)
21THU* - Kagoshima + Sakurajima
22FRI* - Nagasaki
23SAT* - Fukuoka + Yatai stalls (dinner)
24SUN* - ?Beppu/Kita-Kyushu/Karastsu/Kumamoto/Itusuki?
25MON* - Travel to Chuo-Ku Tokyo (rest day on train) + Akihabara (dinner)
26TUE* - Mt Fuji 5 Lakes
27WED* - JRE Museum + Tomix World + Modeltrainplus + ?Akihabara (dinner)?
28THU* - Hakone
29FRI - Studio Ghibli + Nakano Boardway + Shibuya
30SAT - Ofuna Kannon + Kamakura + Enoden + Beaches
01SUN - Ikebukuro/SunCity + late pm train to Narita for flight
* = 14D JR PASS

• Like 5

Trip ended up looking like this.  First 9-10 days were pretty short due to rain and/or family illness.  I'll pop up some photos soonish. :)

2nd Japan trip... SEP 2017
14THU - Arrive at Narita on pm flight, travel to Chuo-Ku Tokyo
15FRI* - Travel to Higashiyama-Ku Kyoto + ???
163SAT* - Arashiyama Monkey Park
17SUN* - Osaka Castle + Umeda
18MON* - Train rides - Tofujuki to Sanjo to Hamaotsu to Ishiyama to Kyoto to Tofujuki
19TUE* - JRW Museum
20WED* - Travel to Hakata-Ku Fukuoka
21THU* - Kagoshima Aquarium
22FRI* - Nagasaki
23SAT* - Sakurajima
24SUN* - Nanzoin temple + canal city + ohori park
25MON* - Travel to Chuo-Ku Tokyo (rest day on train)
26TUE* - Kawaguichiko + surrounds
27WED* - JRE Museum + Modeltrainplus
28THU* - Ikebukuro + SunCity + Aquarium
29FRI - Harajuku + Studio Ghibli
30SAT - Ofuna Kannon + Kamakura + Enoden + Beaches
01SUN - Nakano boardway + Akihabara + late pm train to Narita for flight
* = 14D JR PASS

Wow you visited Sakurajima! How was it?

Interesting choice of lodging there! It seems pretty interesting to be caught in between 2 railway lines!

I really enjoyed Sakurajima.  I wish I had more time there.  I felt I was rushing.

I'd post up more photos, but I'm getting a 4Mb warning although my 1.63Mb clearly is smaller than 4Mb.

Saw this station from one of Westfalen's previous trips.  Had to go and investigate.  The rest of Nagasaki was pretty underwhelming.

IMG_0067sml.thumb.JPG.3e397f16d9de453a0745c28484551686.JPG

• Like 4

Interesting station on Nagasaki, the house on the right is basically looking at the station platform....

What a lovely family sitting there waiting for the next train!

Kidonanzoin mae Station.  About 25 minutes out of Hakata on the Sasaguri Line.  Access for Nanzoin Buddist Temple.  It has a nice old skool vibe about it.

IMG_0085sml.thumb.JPG.86a2fd5386ff8a14644ba204775b1f03.JPG

Fujikyu Line - this train was an wooden interior with a bookshelf full of railway related books.  I was reading a Eiji Mitooka book about his designs.  Well, really looking at the pictures.

IMG_0109sml.thumb.JPG.c8f176e845c592c30a1b17980b9a9957.JPGIMG_0110sml.thumb.JPG.69fd67b4e8c0d9817165f77bda250a76.JPG

• Like 2

Beautiful train! Lovely to see it in real life pictures! I have the model and always wondered how the real train looks like, esp on the inside!

20140318_152048.jpg

Edited by JR 500系
  • Like 1

Sorry to hear nagasaki was a let down, did you do any of the tours in the area?  Great photos, thanks for sharing!  

31 minutes ago, JR 500系 said:

Beautiful train! Lovely to see it in real life pictures! I have the model and always wondered how the real train looks like, esp on the inside!

20140318_152048.jpg

The little round window at the front there.  The floor had a raised box like section so kids could peer through the higher window.

It had polished wood floorboards.  I love wood floors on trains.

22 minutes ago, Kiha66 said:

Sorry to hear nagasaki was a let down, did you do any of the tours in the area?  Great photos, thanks for sharing!  

Didn't do any of the tours.  Went to one temple Shofuku-ji and it was seriously run down to a disappointing state.  Cost 300 yen to get in to view.  We lasted 15 minutes in there as it was small and run down.  Chinatown and the shopping districts and area near the fancy stone bridges was just dirty.  I guess if I could sum up Nagasaki.  It that is more about history of foreigners than it is about Japan.  And the whole city seems to be in some form of neglect. Maybe I just have a weird outlook on it.

The train ride there and back from Hakata on a 787 and 885 series trains was wonderful.  The views around Saga farmlands and along the coastline of Ariake Sea were great though.

Edited by katoftw
12 minutes ago, katoftw said:

Didn't do any of the tours.  Went to one temple Shofuku-ji and it was seriously run down to a disappointing state.  Cost 300 yen to get in to view.  We lasted 15 minutes in there as it was small and run down.  Chinatown and the shopping districts and area near the fancy stone bridges was just dirty.  I guess if I could sum up Nagasaki.  It that is more about history of foreigners than it is about Japan.  And the whole city seems to be in some form of neglect. Maybe I just have a weird outlook on it.

The train ride there and back from Hakata on a 787 and 885 series trains was wonderful.  The views around Saga farmlands and along the coastline of Ariake Sea were great though.

Sorry to hear that, northern Nagasaki prefecture was very scenic, I was only int he city proper for a few hours.  There are some amazing islands (over 300) just over the hill from Sasebo, and the omura line was very pretty too.  I do agree that the rail lines along the water are some of the best parts about that part of Japan.

Yes I would have loved to do the surrounding prefectural areas like Shimabara/Unzen and the Omura Line up to Sasebo.  But I only had one day assigned for Nagasaki.  Maybe next time.

On 8/1/2016 at 3:36 PM, railsquid said:

I suspect the cosplay scene there isn't what it once was. Not that I pass through there on a Sunday very much anyway.

As far as Ochanomizu bridges goes, this is the Hijiri-bashi as of last weekend:

28075111423_8ec9df7a71_c.jpg

Hijiri Bridge renovation work by Rail Squid, on Flickr

No idea how long that will last.

Until December 2017, state as of Sunday:

hijiribashi-2017-12.jpg

On 10/03/2017 at 9:59 PM, katoftw said:

Saw this station from one of Westfalen's previous trips.  Had to go and investigate.  The rest of Nagasaki was pretty underwhelming.

IMG_0067sml.thumb.JPG.3e397f16d9de453a0745c28484551686.JPG

I love this scene so much. It screams "model me".

• Like 3