Japan travel tip V2

katoftw

So recently my first choice to airline is offering 2 for 1 deals to Narita. So Japan Trip V2 may come quicker than expected. And there is lots of things to catch up on.

So I have a few more questions about some places?

The missus really was dissapointed about not viewing Mt Fuji. We saw it from the Shinkansen though. She has nil interest in climb up it. And with kids, whom would be crazy enough to attempt it.

So the questions about Mt Fuji is that the 5 lakes regions seems the most consistent point to view Mt Fuji from. Could to do the 5 Lake region in a day if you left early from Toyko say around 7am, arriving at 9ish @ Kawaguchiko. Bonus is riding a private railway. Using trains to and from.

Also Hakone region. If you were to say in a hotel for 2 nights in Odawarra, could the Hakone region/loop be achieved without too much rushing? Again kids wake up early, so can begin day early.

Osaka somehow hasn't made it on the list to visit? Am I doing an injustice be not including the city again?

Can Miyajima and Hiroshima city centre be done in single day?

Edited by katoftw
  • Like 1

Will also attempt to get to Enoshima/Kamakura again. Last time we were there, by the time you have done the island and the 5 billion steps it has, we where too tire to do much else. So good to go back for a slower day and hit the beach, travel on the Enoden more than last time, and do all the other tourist stuff in the local area.

The missus really was dissapointed about not viewing Mt Fuji. We saw it from the Shinkansen though. She has nil interest in climb up it. And with kids, whom would be crazy enough to attempt it.

So the questions about Mt Fuji is that the 5 lakes regions seems the most consistent point to view Mt Fuji from. Could to do the 5 Lake region in a day if you left early from Toyko say around 7am, arriving at 9ish @ Kawaguchiko. Bonus is riding a private railway. Using trains to and from.

From Tokyo, a very easy day trip is Odakyu Line to Hakone-Yumoto, Hakone Tozan Tetsudo to the end station Gora (nice ride), then a couple of cable cars up and over the (infamous) Owakudani and down to the lake, cheesy pirate ship (!) ferry across the lake then bus back to Hakone-Yumoto. All very integrated and there are day passes available. Kids would like it. You might be able to get a bus from Hakone-ko (where the ferries go to) to Kawaguchi-ko and return via Fujikyu. Kawaguchi-ko (both town and lake) are not particularly interesting apart from the views of Mt. Fuji and the nearby Fujikyu theme park.

Great to hear V2 is coming soon! Did I miss the post where you posted the days? How many days are you looking at this time?

Yes Hakone should be in, it's one of the landmark! I have one in my V2 but it's only for 1 day, and to enjoy a good traditional onsen with good food and a private bath, with a good view of Mt. Fuji. Odakyu has a day pass for travel in Hakone: http://www.odakyu.jp/english/deels/freepass/hakone/

What? No Osaka? I can hear many people protesting! It's the 2nd largest city of Japan! The Dotonburi Bashi is to be visited with the huge crowds at night and the famous 'Glico' man running LED board and moving Crab... Also, I often use Osaka (or rather Shin-Osaka) as the base for Kansai area as the hotels are cheaper than as compared with Kyoto, and it's only a few minutes away via Shinkansen.

I recall seeing a couple of days in Kyushu right? I think you've covered quite a fair bit (except Ibusuki and Kagoshima-Chuo if I recall) the last time right, so perhaps you can accommodate more time for the other regions.     

Great counter point to the pirate ship is the Hakone open air art museum. Really a wonderful sculpture garden/museum. Beautiful even in the rain. Very well curated and settings are wonderful in the garden setting. Well worth a couple of hours detour up the hill!

Jeff

Also a great sense of whimsy with this piece in the lawn... He moves around the place.

http://authorcycle.lolipop.jp/diaries/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/falling-prone-on-the-lawn.jpg

Kawaguchi-ko (both town and lake) are not particularly interesting apart from the views of Mt. Fuji and the nearby Fujikyu theme park.

you bring up a good point, and something I though of but didn't type. Is there a other better option for viewing Mt Fuji.

Yes Hakone should be in, it's one of the landmark! I have one in my V2 but it's only for 1 day, and to enjoy a good traditional onsen with good food and a private bath, with a good view of Mt. Fuji. Odakyu has a day pass for travel in Hakone: http://www.odakyu.jp/english/deels/freepass/hakone/

Thanks for the link. Well aware of what can be done in and for Hakone. If it can be done is a day ie the loop, rail, cable car, lifts, ships, bus return, then great. Saves a day extra for Osaka.

What? No Osaka? I can hear many people protesting! It's the 2nd largest city of Japan! The Dotonburi Bashi is to be visited with the huge crowds at night and the famous 'Glico' man running LED board and moving Crab... Also, I often use Osaka (or rather Shin-Osaka) as the base for Kansai area as the hotels are cheaper than as compared with Kyoto, and it's only a few minutes away via Shinkansen.

Good food for thought. Especially the cheaper hotels. And Kyoto is only 30 mins away even on the slowest local service. Minoo Park would be great to see. And the missus does wanna see the Harry Potter world at Universal Studios.

I recall seeing a couple of days in Kyushu right? I think you've covered quite a fair bit (except Ibusuki and Kagoshima-Chuo if I recall) the last time right, so perhaps you can accommodate more time for the other regions.

Only did 1/2 of Fukuoka, 1/2 of Kumamoto and not much else.

I'm actually thinking of splitting the Tokyo stay between Tokyo and Yokohama. Yokohama has some sights I wanna see, and is closer to Enoshima and Hakone. And still has a transport means to Kyoto afterwards. And if for some reason Toyko visits are still required, then Tokyo is only 30 mins away by local train.

So thinking:-

Tokyo 5N, Kato + Akihabara, Mt Fuji, Omiya JRE Museum, Skytree + Asakusa

Yokohama 2N, Yokohama, Hakone

Osaka 4N, Universal studios, JRW Museum, Otsu region

Hiroshima 3N, Hiroshima, Miyajima

Kagoshima 3N, Itusuki, Sukurajima

Fukuoka 4N, Fukuoka, Beppu, Yufuin, Nagasaki

That is 3 weeks. And most like due to cost and time, will need to be condensed to 14 days. So Kyushu might just be dropped all together this trip.

Edited by katoftw

Yum Jeff!

I do have another question about Yufuin/Beppu. Could the 2 be combined in the one day, if not doing hot springs?

Edited by katoftw

Yum Jeff!

I do have another question about Yufuin/Beppu. Could the 2 be combined in the one day, if not doing hot springs?

I believe so. My plan was to do Beppu only in one day, add in a Sand bath at Takegawara Onsen off Beppu station. Start in the morning at Hakata, taking the Yufuin No Mori No.3 depart Hakata 10:25 and arrive Beppu 13:35. Then walk to take the sand bath, and then perhaps join the land by Kamenoi bus company provides 2.5-hour tours (in Japanese) of all eight hells for ¥3,600. Then return to Beppu station to take the blue Sonic back to Hakata from Beppu.

This way I get a unique sand bath, the scenic and interesting train ride on the Yufuin No Mori, view all 8 hells and finally ride the Blue Sonic back to Hakata. Heard the Green car of the Sonic is really cool and would love to try it.

As for Yufuin, if you're not thinking of doing onsens, (or maybe just 1?) you can take the Yufuin no mori No.1 (since the kids awake early) depart Hakata at 09:24 and arrive Yufuin at 11:34. Enjoy Yufuin and then take the Ltd. Express Yufu 3 depart Yufuin at 14:44 arrive Beppu 15:43. Then highly recommended to take the Sonic back to Hakata. This way you can enjoy all 3 nice trains in two nice locations!  :)

Osaka somehow hasn't made it on the list to visit? Am I doing an injustice be not including the city again?

Can Miyajima and Hiroshima city centre be done in single day?

I'm sure there's more stuff to do in Osaka than I did when I was there, but my wife and I covered everything we wanted to (which was mostly food-related) in less than a day. I'd rather just go to Kyoto, even if it's not the first time...

As for Hiroshima and Miyajima, yes, you can do it in a day if you rush through it. IIRC, I did it in two days and that seemed reasonable, but it was about a half a day each in terms of actual walking around. That said, Miyajima takes a little while to get to. It's about an hour total, if I remember right (more if you take the streetcar), so figure 2 hours out of your day just going back and forth. And you might want to time it so you're at Miyajima at high tide, which means scheduling around other things.

Go to Miyajima after doing the city center, though. The city center itself is a big downer, to be honest. I went there as the last thing I did on a longer trip and it's kind of like going to a funeral after a hard night of partying. It leaves you with a really weird hangover, and almost feeling guilty for everything you did previous to that. Miyajima will restore a little sense of normality.

If I would put down a list of 100 places to visit / enjoy in Japan and I was forced to put Osaka somewhere on the list, Osaka would get #99. Nagoya would get #100. Osaka is just a big city with nothing special to offer. Castle - go to Himeji. Denki town - go to Akihabara. Universal Studios could be a reason to visit Osaka. The Osaka/Umeda station maze could be an experience, it's the only place in the world that I have visited more than three times and still get lost everytime I'm there.

Edited by Kitayama

Yes as space cadet noted the museum and peace park can be a downer, very sobering, but both are very well done and an important life events. Best if you have some time after the museum to sit outside in the park and reflect and see life again and not rush off to the next thing. Hiroshima has little of the old world bits that the rest of Japan, but has its own charms, I found it enjoyable each time I've visited and returning to the museum valuable. You can also schedule a talk with a survivor at the museum (although I expect there are very few still doing this anymore due to age). Not sure how it will work with your kids and the museum, it's a pretty dramatic thing to behold as an adult there, hard to imagine.

Tram riding in Hiroshima is fun. Some of the stops though are very narrow, thought I would loose my toes off the size 14 feet a few times. Lots of bus service as well last time I was there, Hiroshima also prides itself for its okonomiyaki. There are buildings with many small okonomiyaki shops all with their own twist and clientele! All tiny and made right in front of you. Huge and usually an awesome deal.

Miyajima is fun, but if you want the best shots of the torii you do need the high tide and so just have to check the tide tables at your visit date (not quite as dramatic in a tidal flat...). Main trails and features do get filled during the mid day if higher tourist time. I was there closer to sunset one time and it was very empty and peaceful (but careful the ferries stop pretty early!). Tram ride is fun to get over from city center to ferry but takes about an hour. Time there depends if you want to just do the dash or take your time and kick back some. Some very pretty spots to chill out at on the island. Rope way is also nice if it's clear, good views from the peak. The hike down is nice (I love going down hill with my long legs!) but hard on those with bad knees.

The aquarium is decent as well, not huge, I can't remember if it was very crowded when I went, but Japanese aquariums can get very crowded at times on weekends (they tend to allow densities higher than other places in the world).

I think if you are not doing the museum you could do city center and Miyajima in a day, but it would be a longer one. Miyajima is a lot of walking and inclines.

Jeff

Edited by cteno4

Will also attempt to get to Enoshima/Kamakura again. Last time we were there, by the time you have done the island and the 5 billion steps it has, we where too tire to do much else. So good to go back for a slower day and hit the beach, travel on the Enoden more than last time, and do all the other tourist stuff in the local area.

If you're in Enoshima you could give the Shonan Monorail a ride. Well worth a trip.

Thanks for the info.

I think 3 nights in Hiroshima with a full day for Miyajima alone is the go. I don't wanna rush it if it is quite a physical place. And another full day allow for a slower day of trams and the city.

I understand any war museum will be a sobering affair. And yes they can be a downer. I have been to a few.

Many things to think about Osaka. As I said, I really couldn't find a reason to go. Nothing on paper/interent 100% appealled. Maybe back to the Kyoto idea (since JRW museum and Ostu region are closer) and I'll train it to Uni Studios for the day.

Already rode the Shonan monorail. And would do it again.

Edited by katoftw

As for Yufuin, if you're not thinking of doing onsens, (or maybe just 1?) you can take the Yufuin no mori No.1 (since the kids awake early) depart Hakata at 09:24 and arrive Yufuin at 11:34. Enjoy Yufuin and then take the Ltd. Express Yufu 3 depart Yufuin at 14:44 arrive Beppu 15:43. Then highly recommended to take the Sonic back to Hakata. This way you can enjoy all 3 nice trains in two nice locations!

Yes thanks for the plan. Was thinking something along these lines. Would probably re jig it a bit as waiting to 9:24am means I've lost up to 2 hours of the day.

Hakata - Kokrua 0717-0734 Kodama 732

Kokura - Beppu 0800-0922 Sonic 3

Beppu - Yufuin 1312-1413 Yufu 4

Yufuin - Hakata 1707-1917 Yufuin No Mori 6

4 trains! :)

Edited by katoftw

Maybe?

Tokyo 7N, Fly in, Kato + Akihabara, Skytree + Asakusa, Hakone, Yokohama, Mt Fuji, Omiya JRE Museum,
Kyoto 4N, To Kyoto, Universal studios, JRW Museum, Otsu region,

Hiroshima 2N - To Hiroshima + Hiroshima city centre, Miyajima,

Kagoshima 2N - To Kagoshima + Itusuki, Sakurajima,

Fukuoka 3N - To Hakata + Fukuoka city centre, Beppu + Yufuin, Nagasaki, fly out.

14 day rail pass will start on the Yokohama day, finish on the Nagasaki day. First 3 days are using subway and private railways so no need for railpass.  Fly out day doesn't require railpass as Fukuoka subway to airport will be used.

I switched 2 days Yokohama to extra days in Toyko.  Staying at Yokohama saves little travel time to Hakone.  Easier just to stay put in single hotel than move around to new hotel 25-30 mins away.

The Hiroshima, Kagoshima and Fukuoka stays are all 1 day less.  Since they are only 2 hours travel time apart, we can arrive early, 9-11am and still get stuff done.  Although does look busy busy.  Could be too much go-go-go.  but there is a couple of half days there like Omiya JRE, Kyoto JRW museum days,  and the first 2 days should be slowish also. 

Edited by katoftw

The Hiroshima, Kagoshima and Fukuoka stays are all 1 day less.  Since they are only 2 hours travel time apart, we can arrive early, 9-11am and still get stuff done.  Although does look busy busy.  Could be too much go-go-go.  

Honestly I think 2 nights in Hiroshima is about right and it's good that you're going elsewhere after. I was going to suggest doing 2 nights instead of 3, if those two things (city center plus Miyajima) are all you really want to do there. It's not a city that you really get the feeling of wanting to linger in, or at least I didn't. Maybe if you live there and can ignore all the a-bomb stuff, but as a tourist that's a big part of what you're going to be dealing with; it's the main draw of the city and the city fully embraces that role. It gives the whole city a very quiet, reflective and somber feel, and that seems to be by design. It's also just a quiet city compared to a place like Tokyo or Osaka; even if not for the bomb, I think it'd still just be a more laid back place.

I'm glad I went there and it's important that people do, but once you've seen it and Miyajima, I don't feel like there's a lot of reason to want to stick around. There *is* a Book*Off Super Bazaar right in the middle of the city, though...

Be sure to get a deep fried momiji manju at Miyajima! I'm pretty sure that's the only place you can get them like that. So much better than the baked kind.

Edited by spacecadet

If I would put down a list of 100 places to visit / enjoy in Japan and I was forced to put Osaka somewhere on the list, Osaka would get #99. Nagoya would get #100. Osaka is just a big city with nothing special to offer. Castle - go to Himeji. Denki town - go to Akihabara. Universal Studios could be a reason to visit Osaka. The Osaka/Umeda station maze could be an experience, it's the only place in the world that I have visited more than three times and still get lost everytime I'm there.

Osaka - would visit again if the opportunity presented itself, but no particular urge to go there especially.

Nagoya - I arrived at 6am fresh (not) off the overnight Seishin 18 Kippu train (I was a student), pottered around the place for an hour or two, had a desultory breakfast in a fly-blown McDonalds (the only place which was open at the time), and decided there must be nicer places in all directions. I found an open bookstore and found out about Hikone Castle from a guide book, which is one of the Four Ultra-Genuine Surviving Japanese castles (along with Himeji, Matsumoto and Kumamoto) but less well-known. Nice place to potter around without being mown down by tourist groups, and nice views over Biwako. I have taken people there since and they enjoyed it.

Many of the places that are not so great from a tourist point of view have more to offer the railfan who is more interested in seeing things like freight trains running on commuter train frequencies and more railroading generally thanyou can shake a stick at than he is in seeing castles and temples.

• Like 2

I pretty much spend more time (80/20?) in the train station area and lineside at the various cities I visit than actually going into town to see the tourist traps. I figure, that temple or castle will be here 30, 100, or 500 years from now, but that train type or old wooden station building will likely be gone, if not five years from now, definitely in 15 years. 

Other than the trains, I usually sample the local food specialities rather than the sights.   It helps this can be easily done by picking up a bento at the train station or at night at a local restaurant after picture taking time is over.    Of course, this is when I am alone.  With the partner, moderate to much compromise is required.

• Like 1

I'm probably not what you would call a train nerd.  While I like trains.  I work with them every day.  So the trackside stuff isn't greatly appealling as I see it every day.  But being in a new country, things can be new and interesting.  But I do love trains, but they ain't my only love.  And would sit down at a platform amd people and train watch for 30-60 minutes.  Take a few photos and move on.

Japan has appeal to me for many reasons.  Performance cars/mechanics.  Alot of my engine performance parts come from a tuner in Shizuoka.  Suspension tuning comes from Fukushima.  Way before Japanese model trains interested me, there is other reasons for interest in Japan.  And whom as a make child didn't like ninjas and samurai?

Oh and then the wife and kids come along, and they want their slice of the pie also in the trip.  So Japan offers a broad spectum of stuff to see and do.  And our interests also cover a broad spectum.  Yay for Japan.

When last in Tokyo near the Tokyo Tower.  Some older people were playing croquet in the park.  I sat down and watched.  They allowed me to join in for a few hits.  They all wanted to hold the pale skin, blonde haired baby.  Enjoyed a new experience, then moved on to other stuff.

Edited by katoftw
  • Like 3

Indeed. Yah for Japan!

Being a Japan nerd for almost 22 years now, Japan still doesn't fail to entertain and earn my respect. Not only for trains, but almost for everything else. Their culture, food, places to visit and most honourable 'attitude to work'. Generally, they get things done professionally to their best whenever they work, and not just out to earn a quick buck.

Train watching at platforms is definitely fun for the train fan, but can get very boring for the non. Luckily, it seems JR East and JR West has now come up with 'Free Wifi' service inside stations. This is particularly good for the train fan husband with his camera at the platform and the non-train fan wife with her mobile phone on the platform seats, facebooking/ gaming away   :)

Indeed. Yah for Japan!

Being a Japan nerd for almost 22 years now, Japan still doesn't fail to entertain and earn my respect. Not only for trains, but almost for everything else. Their culture, food, places to visit and most honourable 'attitude to work'. Generally, they get things done professionally to their best whenever they work, and not just out to earn a quick buck.

Agreed.  I really enjoyed the people.  The amount of happiness and smiles just brightens up your own attitude.  What prevents me from hanging around with the more and enjoying more of their happiness and smiles is the language barrier.  Time to learn more Japanese.

Many of the places that are not so great from a tourist point of view have more to offer the railfan who is more interested in seeing things like freight trains running on commuter train frequencies and more railroading generally thanyou can shake a stick at than he is in seeing castles and temples.

Yes, but this thread is more about general tourism. If I did go to Nagoya again, it would be to go to the train museum (but probably wouldny't waste any time looking at the city itself, as I like to do when in places I don't usually go to).