The new, the old and the double-decker

disturbman

On the left a very old suburban train (called lovingly by its users the "little grays") and right next to him the new set that is going to remplace him in the next few years. The difference between those two is allmost shocking, I kind of like the old sets (stain body, door that can be opened during rolling and orange sits from outer-time) but the new one totally rocks.

post-156-13569922796327_thumb.jpg

bikkuri bahn

Disturbman, which Paris stations other than Gare du Nord do the "little grays" operate services out of? Any other regions in France they operate in?  I'd like to take a ride on them before they are gone.  The new units, are of course very sleek, but they could be a train in any country, while the old ones really say "SNCF suburban".  The doors that can opened while still rolling<wonderful!> remind me of some of the Paris Metro trains (and would be inconceivable in Japan- it would be considered "abunai"[dangerous])

The doors that can opened while still rolling<wonderful!> remind me of some of the Paris Metro trains (and would be inconceivable in Japan- it would be considered "abunai"[dangerous])

Which trains, or maybe we don't speak about the same thing. In Paris some Metropolitain drivers decide to give the possibility to the passenger to open the door before the complete stop of the train.

In the "ptits gris" (or "little grays" in english) this is possible allmost whenever and is a construction default.

As for your other question I've looked a bit around and I can give you some preliminary answers. Anyway you should keep in mind that could change a lot since these train are really considered the worst of SNCF rolling stock and are planed to disapear in the near futur. They will still run on some lines but most of them will definately be scrapped or sold to Romania. They are also too old and more and more failures are happening. Replacement on some line swill start at the ot this year (with the new rolling-stock featuring here) and will go on until 2015. The replacement will start first by Paris-Gare du Nord

Anyway as 2009 the Z5300 version run on:

- Banlieue Sud-Est, RER D : Paris-Gare de Lyon - Melun via Combs-la-Ville-Quincy (missions ZYCK-ZUCK/DICA-DECA), Paris-Gare de Lyon - La Ferté-Alais (1 mission TYPE/DIPA per day), Paris-Gare de Lyon - Corbeil-Essonnes (missions RIPE/DIPA)

- Banlieue Sud-Est : Paris-Gare de Lyon - Montargis/Montereau (via Moret), Juvisy - Melun, Melun - Montereau (via Héricy), Moret-Veneux-les-Sablons - Montargis.

- Banlieue Ouest : Paris-Montparnasse - Sèvres - Rive Gauche, Paris - Rambouillet/Plaisir - Grignon

- CIC : navettes St Pierre-des-Corps - Tours et Les Aubrais - Orléans

- TER Aquitaine : Bordeaux - Le Verdon, Bordeaux - Libourne, Bordeaux - Langon

Anyway as 2009 the Z6100 version run on:

- Banlieue : Paris-Gare du Nord, I didn't find the lines but I guess they run allmost everywhere over there. Anyway you will just need to go inside the surface station and will be able to spot them.

Anyway as 2009 the Z6300 version run on:

- somewhere in Romania

edit: if you want I can try to spot more website showing photos of these trains.

bikkuri bahn

Thanks disturb.  I see about the broken doors...Yes, the Metro trains were the ones with the door latch which you opened a few seconds before stopping, I was surprised to see that at first, then did it myself- very convenient for a fast walker like me who doesn't like to get stuck in the crowd!

Good information there- don't bother about finding the pics on my account, thanks anyway!

Your welcome.

I see about the broken doors...

They are not really broken either, they were kind of designed like that.  ;D I remember taking such a train when I was quite young and seing a guy open the door to be able to smoke is cigarette. All that when the train was at full speed, around 100kph.

Yes, the Metro trains were the ones with the door latch which you opened a few seconds before stopping, I was surprised to see that at first, then did it myself- very convenient for a fast walker like me who doesn't like to get stuck in the crowd!

I liked it too and the feeling of coming down a train still runing is quite nice, you feel a bit adventurous.  :)

I will add one or two things.

The new units, are of course very sleek, but they could be a train in any country, while the old ones really say "SNCF suburban".

True, they wear the normal Bombardier design but they also one or unusual niceties:

- Like any TGV the elements of the train are supported by only two half bogies.

- The doors are really wide and there is only one by elements (7 elements for 100m long)

- The train is extra wide, its width is 3m06.

As to speak about really french train design, I'm myslef totally in love with this beautie. But that's for another topic.

bikkuri bahn
As to speak about really french train design, I'm myslef totally in love with this beautie. But that's for another topic.

Oh yes!  I am of the same thought!  Also, I like the 72000 diesel locos- very smokily wonderful until re-engined- though I'm sure the environment (and nearby Paris residents) were thankful for that :D

Also, I like the 72000 diesel locos- very smokily wonderful until re-engined- though I'm sure the environment (and nearby Paris residents) were thankful for that :D

They still are, they still are. In fact the CC 72000 are still rolling as we speak. They are having some hard time right know (some have burned I think and they encounter a lot of technical problems) but they roll even if everybody wishes to see them go away and replaced by some DMU or Bi-modal EMU/DMU sets.

That reminds me that I've seen some in N scale by Minitrix in Paris' Model Shops. Had I the money I will have buy one... Hum.  ::)