Kato number plates

Irish Padre

Just plucking up the courage to start cutting up a few plastic frets...do the plates just clip in or is glue required. I'm just a bit wary of covering my model with stringy bits of glue!!

Thanks

David

Claude_Dreyfus

I always* use a tiny bit of superglue (on the end of a cocktail stick) when adding number plates.

* Always is relative - about 60% of my loco fleet has had these fitted.

Using thicker ca glue also can help control how much and where it goes.

These little micro applicators also work very well with regular, thinner, super glue.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/100pcs-Disposable-Swab-Micro-Brush-Eyelashes-Extension-Applicator-Mascara-Tools-/261494547871?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&var=&hash=item3ce24a259f

Problem with cocktail sticks is that it's hard to control how much thin super glue is on them (they don't hold much). To help get more on the tip and a but more control on transfer I will use the hobby knife to split the tip of the toothpick into a little fork. This holds a little drop of glue you can better control the transfer.

You can also use a sewing needle and stick the sharp end into the end of a small stick (to use as a handle) then snip the end of the needle eye off to turn it into a fork. You can then clean dried glue off with some acetone. But once I started to use the micro applicators I now use them almost exclusively.

Cheers

Jeff

Hi David, and everyone else!

In my experience, it depends on the model, the newer ones (with higher detailed body shells) usually come with number plates that are designed to easily be clipped into place, without using glue. You can tell easily by taking a look at the frets that hold the plates, if the sprues are really huge, they are the newer clip-fit ones. The ones requiring glue are usually much smaller, the sprues are about the same thickness as the plates! My Hokutosei and Cassiopeia EF 510-500's and JRF DE10 are supplied with clip-fit plates, and the models also have more separately fitted details like grab and handrails, and rooftop equipment.

Ewan

Also, if you are gluing the plates on, Kato suggests putting glue on a scrap of paper or card, then pressing the plates' locating stubs into the glue. They also suggest putting double sided tape onto your fingers to hold the plate when gluing. I only have an EF 81 with these style plates, and I haven't tried fitting them yet!

Ewan