JR East makes initial announcement thru-running on Ueno-Tokyo Line

bikkuri bahn

This Thursday JR East announcened preliminary plans for through services on the Ueno-Tokyo Line which is scheduled to open this March.  Summary as follows:

1. Utsunomiya and Takasaki Line trains will run through on the Tokaido Line south of Shinagawa.

2. Joban Line trains will terminate at Shinagawa.

3. During the 8~9am peak, 5 up trains from each of the three lines will operate over the line.

*however, the Joban Line through trains will only be rapid services originating at Toride.

4. All off-peak ltd express services from the Joban Line will terminate/originate at Shinagawa.  Likewise a portion of services will do so in the evening peak period.

5. Off-peak a portion of Joban Line local services originating in Tsuchiura will terminate/originate at Shinagawa, and in the evening peak, rapid services for points south of/to Toride will terminate/originate at Shinagawa.

6. Two limited express services will be introduced on the Joban line, the Hitachi will be configured as a limited stop service, while the new Tokiwa service will have more stops. These services will introduce a simpler limited express tariff system, as well as existing ticketless service using smart/mobile phones.

http://www.jreast.co.jp/press/2014/20141022.pdf

*in the TV news report, it was stated that almost all up direction Tokaido Line trains will continue on to Ueno (and beyond?), presumably as either Utsunomiya or Takasaki Line services.

Edited by bikkuri bahn
  • Like 1

I'm confused.  :icon_scratch: I thought the new Ueno-Tokyo Line services allow primarily trains coming in on the Takasaki Line, Utsunomiya (neé Tōhoku) Line and Jōban Line to essentially go geographic south past Ueno and end at either Shinagawa and eventually Yokohama Stations.

to essentially go geographic south past Ueno and end at either Shinagawa and eventually Yokohama Stations.

Yes, that's what the press release says, no confusion. The trains other than those from the Joban Line will go beyond Yokohama though, as they are Tokaido Line trains and likely are existing services extended from the current services that terminate at Tokyo Sta.

Considering that all 3 lines have their peak hours at the same time and have very similar train configurations and schedules, is it possible that in the future, they will be handled as a single line and most services will run between current end stations and with a single line name and color?

Edited by kvp

All conjecture, but I think the trains will continue to keep their individual identities, especially the Joban Line trains.  The Ueno-Tokyo line is a relatively short connecting line, unlike say the cobbled together but longer Shonan Shinjuku Line routing, so I think the Tokaido Line trains will keep their identity even though almost all the services will be converted to through running past Tokyo.  If the Toyoko Line trains running through the Fukutoshin Line is a hint, perhaps the announcements will say something like (for an up direction train) "this is a Tokaido Line service with through running on the Ueno-Tokyo and Utsunomiya Lines, bound for Utsunomiya".

Mudkip Orange

I don't understand why they'd stop the Joban trains at Shinagawa. What they need to do is run the E531s through from Tsuchiura onto the Tsurumi Line. Then my layout would be accurate.

• Like 1

I don't understand why they'd stop the Joban trains at Shinagawa. What they need to do is run the E531s through from Tsuchiura onto the Tsurumi Line. Then my layout would be accurate.

10 cars, right? At Umi-Shibaura the passengers could walk inside the train back to Shin-Shibaura :)

Speaking of Umi-Shibaura Station, the security guard wouldn't let me take a photo of the station name sign from the outside. Very security conscious. Wonder how Wiki got their photo?

How would the E531s get on the Tsurumi Line?

Grant

Umi-Shibaura is located inside Toshiba property, so only Toshiba employees and authorized visitors are allowed past the station exit, which also serves as a gate to the facility.  The note accompanying the wikipedia photo says the photo was taken with permission.

I personally think in the end, the trains using the Ueno-Tokyo Line will operate like this:

From the Tokaidō Line--trains will continue to Omiya Station and turn around there.

From the Takasaki Line--trains will continue to Yokohama Station and turn around there.

From the Utsunomiya Line (neé Tōhoku Main Line)--trains will continue to Yokohama Station and turn around there.

From the Jōban Line--some trains will continue to Yokohama Station and turn around there. Limited express trains from Iwaki will continue to Shinagawa Station and turn around there.