EMS & USPS how do they work together?

bc6

Im curious how EMS and the USPS work together if indeed that is the case. The reason I ask is because I have a package that was shipped from Japan that is currently in JFK airport. So what happens now, does the package get shipped to USPS and on to me. I don't know how this all works and need a bit of clarity thanks. USPS is the abbreviation for United States Postal Service which delivers mail in the United States.

Correct, EMS shipments are transported via cargo and will arrive at LAX where they are transferred to USPS. Once the handoff is complete and they go through customs and inspection though the CMI system before being dropped into the mail stream, at which point they are accepted and transferred directly to USPS Class EME for next day noon delivery. (Express Mail)

EMS works in a similar fashion as the former DHL and FedEX/USPS integration and exchange services. USPS EME class mail can leave the US and arrive in other member nations wearing EMS decals as well.

Note, contrary to popular belief, EMS is not a Japanese company, but a network of dozens of express mail services provided by many national postal services that share common database tracking information.

(I'm an ex-postal carrier)