Seeking advice, suggestions for train watching spots Switzerland

bikkuri bahn

I am planning a short, post-Christmas, New Years holiday in central/southern Europe and will be in the Zurich area for a couple of days.  I have allocated a full day for full-on trainwatching (no sightseeing), and am seeking some suggestions.  My parameters for train watching spots:

1. locations within approx. 1 train hour of Zurich Central Station

2. mainline with heavy passenger traffic, preferably with freight traffic too, say 15~20tph ea. direction

3. good trackside vantage points with few obstructions like signs, overpasses, fencing.  Station platforms are OK. 

*Background scenery not necessary, though existence of such is a plus

4. preferably some loco-hauled passenger trains, such as Re4/4 pulling older coaching stock, if it still exists

I am thinking of visiting two or three spots for around 90min each, depending on the time needed to get to them as well as availability of daylight.  I have already some places in mind:

A. Olten- not so much for photography, but to observe SBB railway operations at this node.

B. Some point on the approaches to the Gotthard Line (Zug?, Schwyz?), heavy pax and freight trafffic.

Your thoughts appreciated.

A couple of friends and I will be spending three nights at Erstfeld next month as our base for exploring Gotthard Pass, about 90 minutes from Zurich so might be a bit outside your area.  I stayed there a few nights in 2008 and it is a quite busy location where the banking engines are added to freight trains over the pass.

• Like 1

Thanks westfalen.  I looked at Erstfeld, a bit beyond my range and wonder if the freights would be some distance away from the platforms given they likely stop there. I even considered Wassen near the loop tunnels, though I'm worried about the shadows in mid winter at that location.  My preliminary plan is first to Fluelen to see through trains with the church spire in the background, then work my way back to Steinen, then Arth Goldau to change trains, then to Immensee for an hour sojourn, depending on light conditions. Onward to Olten, where I will have dinner at the station buffet restaurant, after which take a train back to Zurich.

The freight trains stop at the platforms at Erstfeld, at least they did in 2008.  We are planning on starting at Goschenen in the morning and working our way back down the pass to Wassen and onwards.  There is a walking track that follows the line for several kilometres but in 2008 I made the mistake of walking up hill, should be an easier walk down hill.  Our plans are to spend a day on each side of the pass, weather permitting.

Edited by westfalen

I went to Zurich last year as a family holiday rather then train, so I can't help much.

Renaissance hotel room provide a good of all main line in to Zurich station but its rather far from the tracks.

Thalwil is a place I went which has lots of train stop and passing through frequently.

Hope it helps

Thanks Jensen, I will at least pass through Thalwil on my way to the Gotthard Line.  Another place that seems to have potential is Killwangen-Spreitenbach, which is on the Zurich-Olten main line and seems to have a lot of freight traffic in addition to passenger, perhaps due to a marshalling yard nearby (Limmental goods yard?).