JR Hokkaido H5s leave Kawasaki factory

And the first H5 Shinkansen has passed through the Seikan Tunnel:

Interesting footage, it's nice to finally see a shinkansen pass through the tunnel, almost 27 years after construction. Though a 200系 or even an E2would've been preferable of course (if only this happened 20 years earlier) -_-. thanks for the clip!

Does all of this go back to the nationwide shinkansen network plan from decades ago?

More or less, it's actually related to the 1973 revision of the original 1970 nationwide shinkansen development law (Zenkoku shinkansen testsudo seibi-ho often abbreviated to Zenmiki-ho).

The 1970 law provided the framework for a large number of planned new shinkansen routes (17 new shinkansen in total) which, when completed, would provide access to shinkansen services and benefits across the country. In 1971 construction of the first two shinkansen, the Tōhoku and Jōetsu shinkansen, commenced. While the third line, the Narita shinkansen, received the go-ahead for further planning and development.

However with the 1973 oil shocks, rising construction costs and worsening finances at J.N.R. the law was revised again. In order to get construction costs down, a selection was made and the planned shinkansen where divided among the following line:

Under construction or in advanced planning stage (November 1973):

- Tōhoku shinkansen (between Ōmiya and Morioka, though the extension to Ueno was already part of the planned route) Under construction

- Jōetsu shinkansen (between Ōmiya and Niigata, though originally planned to start at Shinjuku) Under construction

- Narita Shinkansen ( Between Tōkyō station and Narita Int Airport) Advanced planning, construction would start in 1974 but due to citizen movements around Narita, problems with land acquisition and disruptions, construction was halted in 1983. The plan was dissolved after the J.N.R. split in April 1987, unfortunately.

New lines to be constructed:

- Tōhoku shinkansen (between Morioka and Aomori)

- Hokkaido shinkansen (between Aomori and Sapporo)

- Hokuriku shinkansen (between Tōkyō and Ōsaka (excluding the shared Jōetsu/Tōhoku section)

- Kyūshū shinkansen (between Fukuoka (Hakata) and Kagoshima)

- Kyūshū shinkansen (between Fukuoka (Hakata) and Nagasaki)

All other planned shinkansen where either shelved or placed on indefinite hold. The five remaining lines where designated as 'Seibi shinkansen' or new shinkansen, which, in the end, became the synonym for the new law. It was actually with this revision that the 260km/h speed limit was introduced, supposedly to keep construction costs down.

Now whether this is a hard limit in terms of specifications (i.e. limiting curve radii for a max of 260km/h) or if there's some (limited) wiggling room available I'm not sure. I've read that JR East is planning on a few high speed tests among the Morioka - Aomori section sometime soon (the first test may have already taken place, I'm not 100% sure though) in order to test the effect in terms of noise levels and other factors. So that would suggest that the infrastructure is, in theory capable, of higher service speeds, at least as far as the Tōhoku/Hokkaido shinkansen is concerned. Increasing the service speed above 260km/h though, would only be possible after the current law has been amended, as the law doesn't allow the JR companies them self to increase the service speed beyond what's stated in the law.

Yes, that's the gist of it. These are not "core" lines, so I reckon the specs were not bleeding edge.  Of course, back when the plan was made, max service speeds were 210km/h, the idea of 320km/h running was yet to come.

I'm not entirely sure if that's the entire story. While it's true that service speeds where limited to 210km/h at that point, the Tōkaidō shinkansen it's self had been built as for a service speed of 250km/h but was marketed as a 200km/h line in order to maintain enough funds for the project (within both J.N.R. and the Diet), which was necessary as the shinkansen project was far from popular at that point in time, as I'm sure you're aware off.

To further this point, the 0系 was originally meant to be a temporary solution. It was designed to be replaced by a new 250km/h capable series, which would arrive somewhere in the early to mid 1970's. This plan, however, didn't materialize due to both the success of the shinkansen (and therefore the need for additional capacity) as well as the worsening finances of J.N.R.

However J.N.R. and the RTRI did continue their research into such a train, which resulted in the delivery of the first test train, designated 951形 test train in 1969. This train captured the Japanese speed record in February 1972 with a recorded speed of 285km/h. Testing continued with the delivery of a new test train in 1973, which was designated as 961形 and was designed to be as close to a production ready system as possible. It was this train that captured the world speed record by reaching a speed of 319km/h in December 1978. In the end the technology designed to replace the 0系 was used in the 200系, with the Tōkaidō and Sanyō shinkansen only reaching their true capability with the arrival of the 300 in 1992.

Anyway, my point is, seeing that J.N.R. at that time was actively pursuing an increase in service speed on the shinkansen, I have a hard time believing the 260km/h limit has anything to do with the capabilities at that time (which where at that point encroaching or even exceeding the limit at that point in time). The trouble is though, that there is awfully little information available on this part of the law, other then the stated construction costs reasoning.

Interesting to note, the Narita shinkansen was supposed to be the first shinkansen designed for 260km/h service speeds, though this of course was specified because of the short distance it covered. So perhaps this specification was used as a basis for the new revision? (just speculating).

By the way, if I remember correctly, the speed of the Tōhoku Shinkansen between Morioka and Shin-Aomori is only 260 km/h anyway. It's only between Utsunomiya and Morioka that the 320 km/h top speed applies

That's correct, that section was a part of the Seibi shinkansen after all.

Raising max speed from 260 kph to 320 kph won't make that much of a difference anyway. It may give you a few minutes advantage, but it will only really benefit of such a speed increase if it's a very long distance.

Considering we're talking about a 50 km/h speed difference the distance doesn't have to be as much as say between 260km/h and 275km/h before it would make sense. And with the distance between Shin-Aomori and Shin-Hakodate alone at ~150km (though to be fair, almost 54km is spend in the Seikan tunnel) while the section between Morioka and Shin-Aomori clocking in a respectable 178km, an increase in service speed would certainly make sense, especially taking the entire run from Tōkyō into account.

-Sander

edit: sorry for the add on, but this was posted after I finished my original post.

I dont believe the tunnel was built with Shinkansen in mind.  But it was modified with Shinkansen in mind.

It actually was built with Shinkansen operations in mind, just finished with 1067mm track as supposed to the planned 1435mm track to allow operations after the tunnel was finished (at that time the Tōhoku Shinkansen only went as far as Morioka). The 140km/h restriction for example, is only because of the mixed usage, the tunnel was built for much higher service speeds (it's a Shinkansen tunnel in terms of cross section after all). 

Edited by 200系
  • Like 1

The 260 km/h limit is nice since it allows cheaper trains with more simple noses, running gear and pressurisation. The noise levels are also lower, so less dampening is needed around tunnel portals, so the lines can be built closer to residential areas. It's also possible to cut a few corners to make the lines less straight. The question is how many of these corners were actually cut during construction. If the lines were built to higher standards or at least upgradable, then there is no problem, since the current rolling stock can be changed quickly.

Also, i think the Seikan tunnel could be retrofitted with steel pressure barriers between the two tracks, that would allow high speed mixed running. Also i think if the shinkansen sets supported 15/25 kV mixed operation, then it would be possible to fix the tunnel voltage at the lower value and send in various trains at the same time, with a slight decrease in shinkansen top speed. This would allow a cape gauge freight train to be sent in right after a shinkansen with the assumption that it will emerge much later, but still in time before the next shinkansen enters the tunnel behind it. The current limitations (lower top speed, no mixed running) is mostly due to the operator trying to use current equipment and not spend too much extra on upgrading the tunnel. (besides laying the extra set of rails on the already present dual gauge sleepers)

Actually, I believe the Tōhoku Shinkansen between Morioka and Shin-Aomori is currently limited to 260 km/h due to the large amount of long tunnels and the relatively low number of passengers on this part of the line. I do think once the Hokkaido Shinkansen line opens to Shin-Hakodate-Hokuto Station in 2016, we'll see the following changes:

1. We might see the Tōhoku Shinkansen top speed between Morioka and Shin-Aomori bumped up to 300 km/h. From Shin-Aomori to Shin-Hakodate-Hokuto, the speed limit I mentioned earlier applies.

2. The Hokuto and Super Hokuto limited express trains will now stop at Shin-Hakodate-Hokuto after leaving Hakodate. It's even possible some of these trains will now originate and terminate at Shin-Hakodate-Hokuto.

A ground breaking moment when the first shinkansen rolls out of the Seiken tunnel! But at that speed?

The cheers of 'Bansai' when the H5 rolls over is really nice. Any idea how many cars will the H5 consist?

I stand by my opinion that the E/H5 &E6 as ugly as all all hell. I'm glad that the E/W7 took the good looking end of the Fasttech 360 where the 5/6 took its ass end. Still nice to see the H5 or rather the Hokkaido shinkansen running. All that's left now i Shikoku to get one (and I'm not talking about the industrial abortion excuse of the DMU with a fiberglass 100-series nose either)

Any idea how many cars will the H5 consist?

Each train will be a ten car consist, with one each of green car and gran class. Four trainsets have been ordered.

Each train will be a ten car consist, with one each of green car and gran class. Four trainsets have been ordered.

Reserved for old ladies only then? A logical consequence of the demographic shift.

(If you're wondering what I'm on about - in the country which gave the world the English language, "Gran" is a diminutive form of "Grandmother", and it cracks me up each time I see something in Japan named "Gran + some English word").

Shashinka, so you... don't like them then? :)

Let me just reiterate and please excuse the crude language here by saying the nose looks like a cheap dildo purchased secondhand at a thrift store and painted with left over Estes' model rocket paint. The rest of the body and livery more closely resembles the TOMIX model than the model replicates the actual train itself. Now, the E/W7, there's a train that scream power, and speed; unlike the 5/6 that look like they belong in an Enzyte commercial with Smiling Bob. Once the E5 and was released in to the wild, I completely forgave the duck billed platypus meets Puma shoe design of the 700-series, and am pretty damn close but not yet really to cave in to the N700/A yet which I find marginally less grotesques.

I think that nicely sums up my opinion on the E/H 5/6 models. All hail bob!

Edited by Shashinka
typo
  • Like 1

Do agree to a certain extend that the nose of the E5 is certainly... unique.

However, it's daring design and unique green still manages to win me over. I still like the E5, but the shorter nose and sharper features of the E6 is even nicer! Can't say much about the newest E7 though...

All in all, the E5 is still a proud machine of the Japanese. When they came to Sillypore to exhibit, they were very proud of the E5 and it's max top speed of 320km/h, along with it's grand class, so much so they call it Hayabusa all the time even though it's really name is series E5....

The best bit about the JRE Shinkansens is the colours.  I'm pretty sure they used colour to hide the shape of the trainsets.

The E7/W7 is the spawn of a 500 and 800 getting together.  What isn't there to love?

I think the reasons why the extreme duckbill nose on the E5 and E6 trainsets are:

1. Improved aerodynamics. After all, the E5 and E6 trainsets could be running as fast as 360 km/h between Utsunomiya and Morioka by 2020.

2. The nose design reduces the "piston effect" noise of the trainset as it comes out of tunnels at full speed.

In contrast, the E7/W7 trainsets are limited to a top speed of 260 km/h. As such, it doesn't need the side fences around the pantographs to reduce aerodynamie drag, and the nose design is quite bit more blunt, more like 800 Series trainset that run exclusively in Kyushu.