1:1 scale Gundam

Martijn Meerts

My 1/144 model of the rx-78 should be here next week! want to do a ttrak module of the statue being assembled. have some scaffolding to use to have the arms dangling in. maybe having one being lifted in place with a crane. hardest thing is the cherry pickers, ill have to scratch build that. the maruka vol2 were going to have some cherry pickers that would be perfect, but their revised set nixed them!

anyhow should be fun and great use for losts of the chinese architectural figures to make a crowd in the surrounding park watching the construction!

maybe ill put a couple of red leds in the eyes that could flash now and then!

cheers,

jeff

Pft, fan girls, maybe. Jeff, next trip to Bethesda, I have some strawberry Pocky for you, and maybe I can loan ya my sister's old pink tutu. Here's an RX-78 for ya    :laugh:

deco_gundam_1.jpg

PinkTenticle.Com

Yeah, yeah, I know, I'm a gundam nut. Give me a Zaku II any day.

so thats the gundam you have been talking about you want to put on your layout!

i didnt know pink was your color!

cheers

jeff

hey you started it!

actually the pink powder puff version would probably get a whole lot more eyeballs than the prototypical one in the park!

i was amazed at how many detailing sets there were out there for these gundams down to getting every variation right down to every exhaust port! talk about rivet counting!

actually i have to admit im a gundam dodo. only watched them here and there over the years and never got into the collecting. now its just to do the park scene...

so now you can really make fun of the dodo and i wont be able to have a snappy comeback!

cheers

jeff  :sad2:

Those were just HG kits, you should should see the parts with the MG and the PG. the Perfect Grades can run up to 500 bucks, and have thousands of parts on dozens of sprus.

I found a lot of those while trying to track down my HG model and kept hoping i would find a nice and simple HG kit, which i finally did! some of the links i hit made me gulp when i saw the prices!

jeff

Martijn Meerts

Even the HG models are very well done.. I have 4 of those in 1:144, all from Seed Destiny.. Gaia, Chaos, Abyss and Force Impulse. I also have a MG 1:100 Wing Gundam Zero.

I have yet to build any of them, but all the parts look like real good quality. Have to get me a PG one at some point too ;)

the multi color injection on a single sprue looks to be really impressive! cant wait for mine to show up (its a SAL Surprise Arriving Later shipment). it looks like its going to be easy to have it partially assembled in the park scene the way the kit looks to go together. the new platz crane should be great for lifting the arm on. just have to build a cherry picker and scissor lift for workers.

im thinking of putting red leds in the head to make the eyes light up as well. could do the smoke out the vents, but that might get a bit much to attempt! they do have those little smoker units for lionel and ho, but it would probably end up melting the model down or catching it on fire and i have become pretty sick of that smell. our lions club show here has a big lionel turn out down the hall from us and we spend two days whiffing that smoke!

cheers

jeff

Martijn Meerts

There's odorless smoke oil as well, so that's not a problem. And with a bit of care nothing on the model will melt or catch fire. There are N-scale locomotives that have a smoke unit in the chimneys.

You could use putty to place those smoke units inside the vents, the problem is just that they don't generate much smoke, and it'll look more like cigarette smoke.. Not like steam or something coming out a vent ;)

And depending on how detailed you want the thing to be, it should go together real nice. You have the basic colours already because of the multi-colour sprues, but they do look quite plastic. Of course, a flat or satin clear coat would fix that. There are also special gundam markers, pretty much like felt tip pens, but instead of ink they have paint in them. They're used to draw panel lines. I can highly recommend getting a marker and doing the panel lines, it adds a LOT of detail, and is easy to do.

http://www.dannychoo.com/adp/eng/213/Gundam+Modeling+Tutorial.html is a great tutorial on various techniques. The guy is incredibly good at building Gundam kits. Some of the pictures also show the amount of parts that go into the models and how detailed they really are ;)

Martijn,

cool thanks for the detailing tips. thats a wonderful gundam detailing site. ill see how crazy i want to get with it once i have it and look at it at a few feet away. the lifesize one has lots of small detailed colored panels, decals, and other small instructions (some look rather humorous). ill see how insane i want to get with the detailing! may start off simple and i can always come back on it and add more details with time. sounds like there is a whole gundam detailing subculture out there! the markers look like an easy way to color the etch lines, but not sure how many there are on the HG version i got. also hope mine comes with some transfers!

a good coat of dullcoat should help knock off that plastic look and also allow a tad of dusting up to give it just a tad of weathering.

yeah dont think those smoke units would look like the exhaust streams they have on the life size one. not sure the odorless is really odorless!

real one

http://www.odditycentral.com/pics/tokyos-real-life-rx78-gundam.html

HG model i got

http://www.hlj.com/product/BAN902407

cheers

jeff

ps you know you are a real gundam geek when you have one of these in your living room!

http://www.ne.jp/asahi/robot/kingkizer/rx78.html

http://www.dannychoo.com/adp/eng/213/Gundam+Modeling+Tutorial.html is a great tutorial on various techniques. The guy is incredibly good at building Gundam kits. Some of the pictures also show the amount of parts that go into the models and how detailed they really are ;)

[/quote

It's funny ya ref Danny, cause I never really thoguht of Danny as being the definitive Gunpla master. I tend to think of him as more the doll otaku than the glunpla otaku. For those who don't know Danny, he is most well known for his "Dancing Stormtrooper Act He was a former Microsoft then later amazon engineer. He's gone on to be the defacto man on the streets of Japan and has even starred in several Nikon commercials. I met him once or twice, nice guy even though he's a Mac man now.

I met him once or twice, nice guy even though he's a Mac man now.

Brilliant! and he is especially brilliant as he has left the dark side behind him!

cheers,

jeff

His armor is updated. He has kanji on his left chest now.

I'll note Ganny was who got me turned on to K-On! Best freaking anime of the spring season too.

Martijn Meerts

As far as I know, he started out mainly with Gundam models, then tried some female figurines/busts, and ended up liking those more.. It went downhill from then on =)

He used to have a LOT of Gundam pictures and reports on his pages, but they're near impossible to find now.

Ok the kit came and it quite nice. does not have a lot of the fine detailing lines of the MG series so not sure how much detailing i can do. the only stickers are for the face, no decals included. bummer. been looking around an have not found 1/144 scale decals for the original 78. the only things that could be at all legible would be the EFSF and the WB on the shoulders and those would be at about 3mm high. rest of the tiny instruction labels would be tiny tiny tiny. maybe as a rub off it might look like something, but not sure if it would just look like bird droppings at any distance!

anyhow im going to start construction to see what the full size looks like before worrying about the decals. if anyone has any ideas for 1/144 scale decals for the 78 let me know. there are some basic dry transfers, but those look to be too big for the 1/144, probably meant for the 1/100 or larger scales. i can also make the EFSF and WB labels on the inkjet printer. couldnt do the white ones though.

cheers

jeff

Yeah, you're not going to get a lot of detail out of an HG kit, silly, that's why they are HG and not MG, LOL

They make rub-transfers for the HG kit, but finding custom parts for the HG kits are tougher to come by in the states becasue the MG kits are more popular. I may have an MG 1/144 RX on the shelf that hasn't had it's decal sheets used. I inherited all my buddy's HG stuff  for a photographic dojinshi project we're working on. (Don't ask) Grr... you all know my secret otaku-secret.

well for the 1/144 they all appear to be water decals and none for the original 78 unit specifically. the dry transfers looked to be for the larger scales.

unfortunately no MG stuff in 1/144 for the original 78 like the full scale one. i thin the HG will have plenty or detail for a ttrak module as it will be viewed from a few feet usually.

cheers

jeff