Other Hobbies? Well, maybe...

disturbman

I'm not really sure I have really more than model railroading since my life is actually divided between learning german, renovating my appartment.

I use to write for myself and to have a little photography practice. I was then publishing myself on blogs, but after a while I just dried up. I still do somethings but I don't really have the time to go further anymore. It's bit frustrating and I really have plan to go back on these tracks when I will be finished with the renovations.

I also used to play a lot to video games, mostly to manager games such as Transport Tycoon or A-Train and to strategy game like Civilization, Colonization and the Europa Universalis series. I even wrote some AARs. I don't know if anyone of you knows about this practice, if not I will then explain it to you and maybe even gave you some links.

In fact, now my hobbies have kind of become my actual work:

- I still edit photos but mostly only for the purpose of flyer making. You can see some of them here: http://disturbsdesigns.blogspot.com/

And I'm open to business proposals or just proposal, I really like making those.  ;D

- I do write articles from time to time on a french webzine dedicated to Paris public transports: http://www.metro-pole.net/

Except that I like to travel (to japan and everywhere else), eat (japanese food and everything else), cook, party and listen to music (that I desperately tried to play but to no avail). But, since I define myself mostly in my actual creative work, my only hobby is model railroading.

Cooking, wine tasting, beer tasting, house renovating, slot cars (because  I have a 2 1/2 year old), radio controlled nitro cars (because  I have a 2 1/2 year old), restoring antique French clocks (becasue I have TIME ON MY HANDS).

The trains is a recent thing (last 18 months), but I really like the way kato put the Japanese trains in "books", means I can collect as many as I like, have them on a book case, and take out which ever ones I want at the time to display. Can't do that with my HO and G scale. Pity Kato don't put the American N scale trains into books instead of the cimbersome giant foam boxes. Japanese N scale is very well suited for inner city living where space is a premium. All the other hobbies take up too much valuable real estate, or can make the house look cluttered. Even wine collecting can become a problem due to space constraints (450 bottles) . I find the beer good though, don't have to store it for ageing, so it's less of a space problem, just drink it.

I guess my other larger hobby is woodworking. pretty good shop in the garage, but an allergy to wood dust is making it harder to do that... learning to cope with it and maybe medicate for it.

still dabble a lot in electronics, tinkering and fixing things.

I use to do a lot of stamp and coin collecting, but only small stuff these days.

Also collected Pacific North West coastal native and inuit art, mainly wood, stone and bone carvings. I use to work in Alaska a lot so started collecting on trips up there with the good prodding from a friend who is a professional sales person (she can sell snow to an inuit and make sure they wanted it!) as i started doing it when in grad school and was broke. Luckily she did that and got me to spend what little money i could scrape together as many of those pieces are horribly expensive these days. about 7 or 8 years back apparently this stuff got popular in hollywood and everyone had to have houses decorated with it and its caused the market to shoot up dramatically in prices. now its a real hunt to find something interesting at an affordable price. Love that the artist at least can make some more $$ but most of the extra money has gone in to the middle level and dealers unfortunately. I went into one of my favorite galleries in seattle a few years back and there was only two pieces there. i asked if they were going out of business and they said no that a designer from la came in and wanted it all for a movie stars house. got a good deal for buying the whole store except two of the pieces already sold...

still read a fair bit of sci fi and have a good collection of books.

computers use to be hobby but became a big part of my own business so they dont have much charm anymore than a tool there.

I did lots of photography when younger and some professional but i think burned out on it as its gotten less and less of an interest over the years and not totally sure why. maybe someday it will pop back up.

Want to get back into doing metal sculpture. Something i did a lot when i was young and made ok money at it. Hopefully something i can do in retirement.

I guess I have always had several hobbies and they evolve and come and go. japanese rr modeling i guess is the main one in this phase of my life.

cheers

jeff

Davo Dentetsu

Usually, you will either find me...

PIC_1439.jpg

PIC_1670.jpg

Playing with the bigger OO stock

McSweeney.png

Mucking about with Photoshop every now and again

PIC_0340.jpg

PIC_0785-1.jpg

PIC_0762.jpg

PIC_1128.jpg

Slot drag cars (notice the third '41 Willys picture where the car finally got a fuel tank?  Yes, that was a cut down 4 wheeled tank wagon.  Sorry.)

PIC_1129.jpg

RC car racing

1285498862299-1.png

Just getting into the anime/manga collecting spirit.  Also maintain a fair amount of the older BBC comedies from the '60s, '70s and '80s (they truly were the best television of all time I reckon)

167908_500227319841_657024841_6435419_4600164_n.jpg

Local race team posters all over the place

307196_278286958869811_193427124022462_959521_390348152_n.jpg

I'm the chap on the right, always chasing cars about

Amongst all that random hodge podge of things, I also maintain all sorts of social platforms to expand the outreach of the sports I follow, the hobbies I do and... whatever the heck amuses me in general.  Which turns out quite a lot. :D

Also not forgetting my online adventures playing OpenTTD (the Transport Tycoon continuation), BVE simulations, rFactor and DragFactor racing, things along them lines.

Japanese N-Scale model railroading is my current primary hobby/obsession.

But of late I've been doing a bit of landscape photography too, which is both fun and excuse to go for walks out doors (there's this "sun" thing, have you seen it?  Wow! :grin ).

If you're going to count reading as a hobby, I guess that's one of mine (SF/Fantasy/Mystery), but I just read it, I don't go online to write about it, or join reading groups or anything. I think I'd class my practice of it as simple entertainment (like watching TV, or going to the theater).

Computer programming has been a sporadic hobby, but I'm somewhat burned out on it these days.  Perhaps it will come back.

I dont do much, even railroading. All I have a small loop of track.

I play games, occasionally make maps for my favorite ones, write stories that I get sick of after a little while. I got into anime maybe 2 years ago, right now im watching Initial D and I have a small collection of Azumanga and other anime related figures. Not much interesting happens to me.

Davo - Is slot car racing big where you are? It used to be a while ago in Eastern US where I'm from but has slowly died down :(

Davo Dentetsu

Davo - Is slot car racing big where you are? It used to be a while ago in Eastern US where I'm from but has slowly died down :(

Unfortunately the slot car track is now reduced to circuit duties, as the chances of a drag racing revival are remote.  Rather leaves me in limbo, as I had two new bodies being prepared.  Oh well, they can be shelf filler now.

I've a feeling that it may just close altogether real soon, thanks to the lovely economy.  That would leave a track situated at an AMF bowling alley almost 80kms away.  Whether I could use that anyway is another matter...

Olympic-style (ISSF) Air Rifle shooting. Did that for 4 years before having to quit it because of my new job assignment. Plus any other firearm shooting which came my way (I never owned a firearm, just airguns), usually with equipment (and sometimes ammo... :grin) borrowed from friends. Unsure if I'll take it up again when my contract finishes as it requires quite a commitment in terms of training time (it's not just a question of pulling the trigger - it needs mental and physical training too). Rifle is Anschütz 9003 4.5mm caliber. Rather fierce-looking (as my mother would say) but it only goes 180m/s.

Before that did 10 years of fencing, had to quit because of damage to the meniscus on both knees. Also like horse riding, but normally living in the middle of of 22 million inhabitants means that the nearest riding stable is a looong way off from home. Also, it's expensive - a stable here will charge you about US$100,00/hour for lessons. I still would like to know to ride properly, though.

A long time ago I did a spot of archery. Never went far with it because of lack of a range.

Motorcycles - I have an Yamaha 250cc trail bike (which I don't use on the mud, just in town as it is just perfect to cope with urban traffic mayhem) and would like something different - and larger, like a Harley Davidson Sportster 883 Iron or a Suzuki Bandit.

Sailing - never sailed myself but wouldn't mind learning. Have to learn hom to swim before, though!

Eating - yummy! :grin

Reading - things other than rail subjects.

Travelling - preferably foreign.

Computer games - mainly older 3D action games (Duke Nukem is a favourite), RPGs and manager games.

Cheers NB

post-321-135699312548_thumb.jpg

post-321-13569931255586_thumb.jpg