Train-Train exhibition Vol.7

Kabutoni

Hello all,

this is a bit of a cross-over of my work and hobbies. Well, my work is also my hobby, but that's a bit of another branch than trains usually. Most of the things I produce can't see the light of day (because, oh the children!), but this time, I have an exhibition in Yokohama that has trains as a theme. It's a series of exhibitions called Train-Train展 (ten) and attracts photographers and digital/traditional artists alike.

The place the exhibition is held in, is called AAA Gallery and can be found right next to Motomachi-Chūkagai station on the Minato Mirai 21 line (through service on the Tōkyū Tōyoko line and beyond). The exhibition will be held from the 18th to the 24th of October and all are invited to come and visit! Entrance is free, the staff is friendly and they sell drinks as well (one of which is the excellent Kirin Heartland beer).

For this exhibition I'm preparing a combination piece of a fictional railway company, which is a continuation of a previous Sagami Electric Railway related project. The work in progress can be seen here: http://fav.me/d7zleym The idea is to have this piece up with complementary 2D works (map, company logo) and if time and finances permit, a model of the train (a modified Tōbu 8000 type) in the illustration and a T-Trak module (finished or unfinished) to display the model on.

If you happen to be around or have the time to visit, please don't hesitate and drop by for a bit! The surrounding area is also very worthwhile visiting! Chinatown offers the food, Motomachi the style and the Yokohama harbour area your modern and maritime needs.

Toni,

Wow, this sounds great! Lots of fun crossover and hopefully good exposure for you in a lot of angles for work in the future! Looking forward to what you create.

Cheers,

Jeff

We will have an opening 'party' the 18th, so if you'd like to join, please let me know. It's a very small venue, but I'm sure they welcome everybody. IIRC it has an attendance fee.

post-188-0-65249800-1412295433_thumb.png

The WIP poster for the exhibition. Yes, I will have a model of the train displayed on the illustration:

post-188-0-76383400-1412295415_thumb.jpg

Created in the mid-eighties as a new series to cope with the increasing passenger numbers on the Sagamihara Development Railway (相模原開発鉄道, Sagamihara Kaihatsu Tetsudō). The plan is to extend this train to six or eight cars in length.

More information about this type of train will follow later.

Model made from a mishmash of Greenmax kits and a mediocre paintjob. N-gauge 9mm, scale 1/150. Runs originally on 1,067mm gauge tracks with through-running on the Sotetsu network to Yokohama.

Edited by Toni Babelony
  • Like 1
post-188-0-68791500-1413270182_thumb.jpg

Illustrated in Manga Studio, coloured in Photoshop, printed at the 7-11 around the corner, and then cut and glued on foam board. I'm thinking of adding some more details like electricity poles for the train line, just to enhance depth a bit.

The model is a modified Keio 6000 model from Greenmax and the box used to contain some high-end sōmen (noodles) from Shimabara.

• Like 5

Very fun Toni! Well done! More! More!

Please post some Picts from the show.

It was certainly fun to make, but I'm not sure if I can apply these techniques to a more serious T-Trak module. Well, at least the printing and pasting on paper I can do. Seven eleven certainly does some excellent quality prints for only 50~80 yen! I could make a few buildings like this...

And pics will be made and posted!

Hello all,

It's been a while and I've been out all weekend, with just returning home for a quick sleep and a hug from the wife and kid.

Saturday, I installed the exhibition in Yokohama and had a good chat with all the other artists there. It was a lot of fun again and a totally different crowd from my previous exhibition -which I will not talk about on this forum, since it's not very 'family-friendly', whatever that may be.

Anyway, it was a good and varied mix of photographers, illustrators and collectors. Both professional and amateurs and all from different regions (Nagano, Hiroshima, Kansai, Kantō). It was fun to talk about trains in more artistic terms, rather than about the technological aspects of them.

Here are the photos of the exhibition. I have skipped two exhibitors as one prohibited taking pictures of her works: http://www.pixiv.net/member.php?id=1843980 (Humanified-Shinkansen).

post-188-0-26934100-1413763332_thumb.jpg

En-route, taken at Nishi-Yokohama with a Sōtetsu 7000 and 11000 in the background, the oldest and newest rolling stock. Completely in the theme! :D Some people even believed this to be a real railroad under construction. AFAIK, I was the only one promoting a fictional railway company.

Other exhibitors:

post-188-0-71429200-1413763344_thumb.jpgpost-188-0-00954400-1413763348_thumb.jpgpost-188-0-35187100-1413763360_thumb.jpgpost-188-0-98797900-1413763362_thumb.jpgpost-188-0-11390700-1413763379_thumb.jpgpost-188-0-06521000-1413763382_thumb.jpgpost-188-0-86236100-1413763384_thumb.jpgpost-188-0-60357500-1413763387_thumb.jpg

- Kurumi Takafuji: http://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/puupoo110 (A photographer who uses trains as an atmosphere element);

- Yota Tsukino: http://www.pixiv.net/member.php?id=581788 (A very talented Illustrator!).

My little space:

post-188-0-63850400-1413763392_thumb.jpgpost-188-0-11431800-1413763395_thumb.jpgpost-188-0-45836200-1413763365_thumb.jpgpost-188-0-51313100-1413763368_thumb.jpg

I hope you like the pictures!

Edited by Toni Babelony
  • Like 4

Looks like you had fun! :D

I really love that way (Kurumi Takafuji's) of photographing. I regularly see it with other Japanese photographers as well. That kind of photos are really inspirational to me; I try to make such pictures myself as well.

• Like 1

Looks like you had fun! :D

I really love that way (Kurumi Takafuji's) of photographing. I regularly see it with other Japanese photographers as well. That kind of photos are really inspirational to me; I try to make such pictures myself as well.

Yes, there is a movement that wants to step away from the trains as a main focus in their works. There are already so many people snapping shots of trains in the 'boring' way and there are so many interesting landscapes a train can run through. I can only applaud this as well.

This looks really nice Toni! Very well done! I liked the picture in front of the two parked trains, sweet looking! The cartoon character and the Mascot (is that a racoon?) looks very cute too!  :)

This looks really nice Toni! Very well done! I liked the picture in front of the two parked trains, sweet looking! The cartoon character and the Mascot (is that a racoon?) looks very cute too!  :)

Thank you! The mascot is indeed a Tanuki. I've intended to make that the mascot of the Sagamihara Development Railway (I really should shorten the name... SDR? SKT?) The cartoon character should represent the railfan in me. She doesn't have a name yet. :P