UniTram track-bash

velotrain

I have no plans to build this, but here is another interesting example of an unusual track arrangement.  Gauntlet tracks were sometimes used on class 1 railroads, particularly to reduce the cost of major bridges.

post-941-0-41373100-1410980657_thumb.jpg

You can see the signalman's hut just to the left of the tram.

And here he is chatting with a guy from the neighborhood - or maybe his boss.

post-941-0-99430800-1410980745_thumb.png

Another Lisbon scene, here done to avoid tight radius vs. clearance per se.

post-941-0-47499300-1410982756_thumb.jpg

Here's an example in Prague, obviously built to fit between historic buildings.

post-941-0-85439100-1410980806_thumb.jpg

This Linz, Austria scene, with a little (maybe a lot) imagination could be in Japan.

post-941-0-16338900-1410982909_thumb.jpg

And another in Amsterdam, although I'm guessing that it is the normal situation here, and the separated stretch is used as passing tracks.  Note the extreme minimal separation between the cars.

post-941-0-36889800-1410981578_thumb.jpg

I realize this has nothing to do with Japanese trams, but felt it was more appropriate here than in Worldwide Rail.

Wikipedia has a good article, with other photos of tram gauntlet tracks - no examples in Japan.

Martijn Meerts

I'm quite certain that I've never suggested how you or anyone else should build their layouts.  I have no problem with folks not liking what I'm doing, but need to follow what interests me.

Martijn - it may be true, but I'm just tired of hearing it.  I'll use Kato or Tomix for street track based on which is more appropriate for each location, and Tomix/flex for PROW.

No one's saying you MUST use a certain type of track, it's just that people have their preferences, and sometimes like to make those known in multiple threads. There's not really anything wrong with that, it's pretty much the same as someone always mentioning they prefer the 500 series shinkansen over the 0 series, or prefer the C61 over a C62. That's just the nature of forums.

In the end though, you should pick the method that works best for you. There's nothing wrong with using multiple track systems, and in fact, as you said, you do get the most flexibility when using multiple systems. If you enjoy track bashing, and have the time and skills for it, then you should definitely do so. You'll end up making some unique track arrangements that would never be possible with standard sectional track. And unique/complex track arrangements are always fun :)

No one's saying you MUST use a certain type of track, it's just that people have their preferences, and sometimes like to make those known in multiple threads. 

Thanks Martijn - that seems like a strange compulsion to me, but I'll accept that as the reason.

If you enjoy track bashing, and have the time and skills for it

I do have the time, but don't think it requires any particular skills.  Perhaps a little patience, which I'm not normally known for  ;-)

An interest choice of words using negative connotations again.  Complaints about being suggested something multipe times is an interesting one.  You have multiple threads all with the same kit bashing subject matter within them.  So you might find that you get multiple of the same response.

Have a conversation 5 days in a row on the same subject, would you get similar responses 5 days in a row?

You have to ask yourself if a community based form is what you really want to express yourself in.  A thread is like a conversation.  The messages are sent and the receivers give responses.  If you don't like recieving responses, then dont send a message.

Maybe a Blog with the "Responses turned off" feature activated might be more suited to your liking.

And my personal apologies to you velotrain if I have repeated myself multiple times.  I really do not remember what I posted 14 days ago.  I only respond to what I am reading in front of me at the time.   I also I didn't realize this would aggravate a grown adult in the way it did.  I see it a trivial matter, but I understand it may not be a trivial matter to some.

Many of us don't have the time and extra money to waste kitbashing something that has a simple and cheaper solution to it, so I made a suggestion to ease the difficulty.  I didn't realize the difficulty was welcome as in your case. 

Edited by katoftw

> You have multiple threads all with the same kit bashing subject matter within them. 

Not so.  One thread is about designing my tram terminal, and has no kit bashing content that I'm aware of.  You should like that one, as it uses all Tomix track - outside of some planned flextrack.  The thread on modeling Harumi Cement does include some kit bashing, because that is what modelers have to do when they wish to represent something for which there are no commercial kits that work in an un-bashed state.  Actual modeling does consist of more than buying stuff and putting it on a table just as it came out of the box.

> You have to ask yourself if a community based form is what you really want to express yourself in.  A thread is like a conversation.  The messages are sent and the receivers give responses.  If you don't like recieving responses, then dont send a message. [sic]

I'm happy to receive responses and engage in discussion, and frequently have.  What I objected to was your continuing to harp about something that was a dead horse.  If you were more perceptive, it would have been obvious that I was committed to using track elements from multiple manufacturers, and your suggesting that I only use one brand  was about as likely to happen as  . . .  you not using Tomix track for everything.

> Many of us don't have the time and money to waste kitbashing something that has a simple solution to it, so I made a suggestion to ease the difficulty.  I didn't realize the difficult was welcome. 

You're free to feel I'm wasting time and money, but to say "kitbashing something that has a simple solution to it" betrays your lack of comprehension.  It's precisely because there is no simple solution that I have to kitbash some of the things that I need.  I don't consider it difficult, and do welcome the challenge when I need to do it to get what I want.  Many modelers find it a very satisfying activity - there are even books about it.

Tell me what the simple solution is to a 90 degree, two track, three-way junction?  It was actually no big deal to create one from a combination of UniTram and Tomix track - a few hours work.  As I demonstrated, trying to do this with only Tomix track is much more difficult and clumsy.

What do you create?  Or - do you find it easier to criticize those who do build things?

Edited by velotrain

Again, my personsal apologies for mentioning the "T" word multiple times to you.

As for the rest of the presumptuous opinions of me.  They are unwelcome.

Edited by katoftw

I received my Atlas 60 degree turnout today, and tried the Lisbon-style junction again.

As with the Tomix 30 degree, the 60 degree fits right in with the Tomix track geometry.

post-941-0-38021600-1411443694_thumb.jpg

post-941-0-92458100-1411443716_thumb.jpg

If I really wanted to build this, it would require shortening two legs of the crossing.  I should mention that I have a short segment of Tomix straight (6 ties worth - from a previous project) after the curved track, and just before the crossing.  You could also trim the crossing before the curved track on the far side of the crossing - if the street was exceptionally narrow.  Trying to fit in more curved track before the crossing would only serve to ruin the geometry. 

I suspect that adding another "right" curve track, or possibly a straight section in the S-curve, might allow you to fully complete the turn and use the 90 degree crossing.