Tokyo Tower.

I want to add the Tokyo Tower and/or the Skytree to my layout, but it seems impossible to get them in the 1:160 size. What brings me to my next question. Could it be that the Skytree would be almost 1 meter or more tall? Should I just go with the Tokyo tower?

Are there any other sizes that would be accaptable ? My table is 8x3 foot in size. Thanks in advance.

Sascha,

When you build your layout you are tasked with fooling the eye with perspective views. When you bring devices (building, structures) they provide

a perspective that can disrupt your layout.

N scale is 1/150.  Here is the Tower

tokyo-tower-2007-sega-toys.jpg

That is pretty big and it is 1/600 scale.

You are better off having the tower as an image backdrop and work your layout into the image. 

Inobu

• Like 1

I want to add the Tokyo Tower and/or the Skytree to my layout, but it seems impossible to get them in the 1:160 size. What brings me to my next question. Could it be that the Skytree would be almost 1 meter or more tall?

More! Way more! Almost 4m in 160, and 4,22m in 150. Tall like that, you could probably build some sort of helix ramp around it.

• Like 1

folks, folks, i think we're missing the bigger picture - we've actually found somebody who thinks the skytree is not an eyesore :)

LOL. Eyesore? The Skytree is one of the coolest buildings I have ever seen. Its impressive if you stand at the bottom an look up.

4,22 m? Never mind that. I stick to a picture like Inobu suggested. The Tokyo Tower 2007 is sold for around $400. Way to much for a model.

And like always, thanks for the info!!!

Edited by Sascha

Sascha,

Remember you are trying to create an illusion of vastness in a confine area.

• 1 mile in N scale is 33 ft. 
  • .5 miles is 16.5 ft
  • .25 miles is 8.25ft
  • .125 miles is 4.125ft.

So a layout of 8x4 represents in Quarter mile by eighth mile

Here is a 6x3 woodland scenic layout that is 6x3.

st1482_f_1.jpg

They have done a great job of placing a town and mountain within a real world 960 ft x 480 ft.   

Here is the Tehachapi Loop which is .73 miles as it is looping around a hill.

tehachapi_loop.jpg

With this you can see how the eye can fool the brain in its perception.

The game you want to play is fool the brain into seeing vastness.

Inobu

Edited by inobu
  • Like 1

Adding them as background images is usually a better option unless the building is an important part of the layout (more important than trains). In case of the skytee, there is a station under it, so it could be modelled proportionally and that means two tracks and an island platform for approximately 8 cars. With the storage yard next to it, you would have a 4 meter long ~1.3 meter deep and 4 meter high module. If you have the space, you can build it, but imho it's better to do it as part of a club layout. (where you can build a 20 or even 100 meters long layout) Also from a railfan perspective it's not as exciting as it is big, so there won't happen too much interesting action at the station.

Personally my tallest structure now is 50 cm tall, making it only 75 meters high in 1:1, which is good for a Sinbashi area office building without cheating. The club layout where it will be used is 50 cm wide with a single row 3d of buildings and a planned nice backdrop. (maybe with a thin layer of low relief buildings glued onto the backdrop) So by choosing the right scenery, it's possible to model without compression, but you have to find a part of the prototype which fits your available space.

• Like 1

Thanks for the scale measurements Inobu. Never really thought about that, but I can't see the first picture. It will not load for some reason.

kvp.I only have 8x4 foot, so a building that tall would make the whole layout look weird. And I couldn't build something like this anyways.Its way to complex. The low relief buildings are a interesting suggestion. I look into that.

Thanks guys.

Edited by Sascha

Another option is to build a portion of the base of the Sky Tree next to a station (say, one of the "legs").  You'll need lots of selective compression, but the point of a lot of model rr scenery is to suggest, not replicate exactly. It helps that there actually is a station next to the Sky Tree. 

• Like 1