5 most scenic routes in japan. Most interesting Shinkansen route.

Steve4031

Hakata is the best.  Only 1 hours from 1h45m from Nagisaki on sonic, 1hour from Kumamoto by Shinkansen.  And it is cheaper accommodation also compared to most Kyushu cities.

Note on the Asoboy, it only runs on weekends.  And it is aimed at kids travel, so expect alot of kids and mums.

If keen on Kyushu.  I would really recommend you reading the thread I linked you to.  It will answer all your questions, as I have asked the same 3 months earlier.

Edited by katoftw
  • Like 1

I saw the kids on the you tube video. It was pretty amazing on one level. I think my Bose noise canceling head phones might help.

Thanks for the weekend tip. It looks like it's possible to still ride the route but with different equipment on a weekday. Is this correct?

Thank you for your help.

Hakata is the best.  Only 1 hours from 1h45m from Nagisaki on sonic, 1hour from Kumamoto by Shinkansen.  And it is cheaper accommodation also compared to most Kyushu cities.

To prevent confusion, Hakata is the station, Fukuoka is the city. Nice place, it's also where I based my Kyushu travel from.

To prevent confusion, Hakata is the station, Fukuoka is the city. Nice place, it's also where I based my Kyushu travel from.

Being that it is two towns merged into one city.  You'll find it called both depending on whom you talk to.

Lots of hotels close to the station are within a 5 minute walk.

Edited by katoftw

Thanks for the weekend tip. It looks like it's possible to still ride the route but with different equipment on a weekday. Is this correct?

Yap. It will be on the Kyushu Odan Tokkyu taking about 70mins. It's a Kiha-185 coloured Red. This seems to be the substitute for lots of other joyful ride trains, like on the Hitsatsu it substitute the SL Hitoyoshi to run from Kumamoto to Hitoyoshi.   

The Asoboy does run on some other days also, but always Sat and Sun.  Public holidays, special events etc.  The Kyushu website has the days it runs.

Edited by katoftw

Each to is own but I do not think you need a base. It is very easy to book rooms/beds last minute in Japan. Back in 2010, I always did my booking one day or two days prior travelling using Internet (hostelworld mostly). And I slept at very comfortable and cheap places, most of them "guest houses/hostels", which are not at all hostels, but one or two level of comfort of what we are used to in the west. And there is always the Toyoko Inns and other business hotels. If you travel light, it avoids a lot of backtracking. Question of taste of course.

And yes, Fukuoka/Hakata is probably indeed the best hub and you can use the Shinkansen to move fast South or North. Nagasaki is a dead end but a nice stay, Kagoshima the same.

Thank you for the information. There is an overwhelming amount of information about japan and its railways. The assistance I'm receiving here is quite helpful. I've subtracted Sapporo, Akita, and niigita and the associated routes and am now focusing on Tokyo, Osaka/Kyoto and Kyushu. I appreciate the input about Nara and will now include that as a day trip from the Osaka/Kyoto area. I prefer 3 or 4 nights in the same hotel. I like Hilton's because of the honors program. And if there is no hilton I'm going to use comfort inns or jr hotels. I prefer booking ahead. I don't like surprises at the end of a long day of traveling. These tend to occur at the worst moment. So I will book ahead.

Since this is my first visit to japan, I'm leaning more towards hilton to get the western breakfast that's included when I'm gold. I know it's great to experience the culture, but I'm not quite ready for immersion into the Japanese breakfast. Lunch and dinner, I'm looking forward to new experiences.

• Like 1

Hello Mr Steve,

As you are arriving internationally, I suggest you try to take a connecting flight direct to Fukuoka on the day you arrive, or consider flying from Fukuoka to Narita on your way home.  This will mean you use shinkansen in one direction only and get more time to do things.

Also, I agree with your plan for Hilton Hotel, but here are a few of my favourites:

Fukuoka - Crown Plaza ANA

Kyoto - Citadines Hotel, at Gojo-dori.  It is handy to the bus, subway, and has a coin laundry in the basement, which is useful for international guests.  The rooms are also enormous by Japanese standards.

Tokyo Marunouchi Hotel - I think the best in Tokyo for under ¥50,000 per night

Are you travelling with wife?  If so, I can help with good restaurant and good Ryokan in Gora, Hakone.

I have a girlfriend. She's not going on this trip. I need to get this train riding thing out of my system this trip. I'm really impressed with japan. I'm

Planning on more trips, so she'll join me on one if those.

I think I'll be paying for flights and thus will use the jr pass if a through ticket from Fukuoka to Chicago is significantly more then nrt-ord. If I get miles from my dad, this will be easier to accomplish.

The kiha-185 is an interesting looking train in its own right. It looks like there might be away to look out the front window without disturbing the driver.

There are some other limited expresses that allow a drivers eye view of the tracks iirc. Which of these are the best to do. I think I read about one out if Osaka.

• Like 1

Around Kansai, I think the best trains for head end view are JR West's 221 and 223. Try taking a shin-kaisoku service from Maibara to Himeji, or anywhere in between, operated with a 223. It's one of my favorites. That model is also on the Hanwa line.

• Like 1

The limited express you read about was probably the Kuroshio, sometimes operated with 381 or 283 series rolling stock. This service connects Shin-Osaka and Shingu. Some formations have a panorama car at the Shingu end.

I definitely say your journey is workable, but you basically riding train all day long and won't have much time visit.

Last year I went on a relative new train to Mito which is quite nice if you are interested. 

If you got a day to spare you could try in E4 Shinkansen to Niigata - Akita - Tokyo back with E6. 

Good idea to scrap Hokkaido since return journey will take 2 days off. 

I am reviving this thread, because the airfare is BOOKED!!!!!!!!!!  As soon as I go the mileage necessary for a roundtrip from Chicago I got my tickets lined up for a week of travel for spring break 2016.  I know 1 week is not enough time for a comprehensive visit, but its a start.  And I's gots to ride those bullet trains and some of the other fascinating trains in Japan.  

So while I am having seizures, foaming, drooling and spasms, and other types of behavior malfunctions contemplating the reality that this dream is no longer deferred, I will commence on efforts to create a saner itinerary that maximizes train rides and limits mental breakdowns.  LOL.  

On a more serious note, I pieced together a day of train riding in Kyushu to start up the dialogue.  My goal is to ride the Aso Boy route and see some of the other scenic highlights of Kyushu.  

Depart Hakata 7:49 a.m.

Arrive Kumamoto 8:27 A.M.

Depart Kumamoto 8:35 a.m.

Arrive Oita 11:27 a.m.

Depart Oita 1:04 p.m

Arrive Miyzaki 4:14 p.m.

Depart Miyazaki 5: 36 p.m.

Arrive Kagoshima Chuo 7:41 p.m.

Depart Kagoshima Chuo 8:08 p.m.

Arrive Hakata 9:43 p.m.

• Like 1

Hohi Line is interesting.  Kyudai Line is similar but with a few different limited express trains.  But Kyudai is closer to Fukuoka.

The trip you have posted up is pretty boring from Oita onwards.  I understand you are trying to travel on many trains in your trip.  But the journey and the destination are just as important.  Enjoy the trains. But also enjoy the places you get off at.

The Kyushu Shinkansen route is pretty boring.  Especially between Kumamoto and Kagoshima.  There isn't also to see except a view nice glimpses of the Yatsushiro Sea.

Kyushu is an interesting place to visit.  Everything is a day trip from the Shinkansen Line.  Almost everything is a day trip away from Fukuoka due to the 1h45m Skinkansen ride from Hakata.

If you wanna travel on the Hohi Line, I'd start and return to Kumamoto.  Traveling up to Tateno/Aso.  Seeing the Tateno Railway etc.  Visiting Kumamoto sights like shopping and castle.  Seeing the Kumamoto Electric Railway and Kumamoto trams.  It is a full day travelling from an origin point like Fukuoka.

Another day can be spent traveling the Kyudai Line which is much busier than the Hohi Line.  And you can access Hita, Yufuin and Oita/Beppu.  And then you can return to Hakata on the Nippo Line on a Blue or White Sonic.

If you have only seven days, then I wouldn't even leave Kyushu except a day trip to Hiroshima/Miyajima.  And example of 6 days in no specific order:-

Hiroshima/Miyajima - trams, hiking, views etc.

Kagoshima/Sakurajima - trams, shopping, volcano etc.

Kumamoto/Hohi Line - as above.

Nagasaki - trams, peace parks, museums.

Kyudai Line/Yufuin/Beppu/Nippo Line - as above (Decide between Yufuin or Beppu, cos you wont fit both in the one day).

Fukuoka - Ohori Park, Canal City, Hawks Town etc.

Edited by katoftw

If it was me, and I was traveling like your situation, I would get a 5 day Northern Kyushu Pass @ 9,260JPY.

Day 1 - Blue sonic to Beppu, return to hakata.

Day 2 - Shinkansen to Kumamoto, Aso boy to Aso, return to Kumamoto, sightseeing Kumamoto, return to Hakata late.

Day 3 - To Kokura, visit train museum, return to Hakata, sightseeing Fukuoka.

Day 4 - Up early to Hita, to Bungomori, to Yufuin, return to Hakata.

Day 5 - White sonic to Nagasaki, sightseeing Nagasaki, return to Hakata late.

*Day 6 - Sightseeing Fukuoka.

* = This day not covered by pass.  Use subway for local travel around Fukuoka.

Of course you have many other options.  You could substitute a day and get a Kyushu All Areas Pass instead and travel to Kagoshima @ 17,490JPY.  But it is a big jump in cost just for a day in Kagoshima.

How many full days do you have on your trip?  If you have 7 full days, then I have an idea.

Edited by katoftw

KaToftW

Thank you. I am flying into Tokyo and out of Osaka. So when I posted earlier I didn't clearly state my intentions. I am thinking of spending two days in Kyushu. One of those daysi think I will do your aso boy suggestion excep it will be on a weekday. The other day I'm intrigued by the ride to Nagasaki. I'm working on the rest of the itinerary before sharing it. I need to rework it substantially.

Oh?  I wouldn't even go west of Osaka if you only have 7 days.  Sorry but you'll lose so much time traveling otherwise.

Off the top of my head:-

Day 1 - Fly in, to Hakata + Fukuoka sightseeing

Day 2 - Kumamoto/Aso day as above

Day 3 - To Kyoto + Fushimi Inari

Day 4 - Arashiyama + Randen + Golden Pavilion

Day 5 - To Tokyo + Shinjuku shopping + Kato shop + Tokyo Tower

Day 6 - Enoshima + Enoden + Shonan monorail + Akihabara

Day 7 - Fly out

But I think you are doing yourself an injustice with your flight scheduling.  I'd fly in and out of Tokyo and just do the Kanto area, or fly in and out of Osaka and do the Kansai and Northern Kyushu areas.  I'd suggest the later if you really wanna ride on the Hohi Line.

What you are doing is achievable in 13/14 days normally.  I know cos I did it last October.  But only 7 days, You'll miss a lot of mornings in traveling and transfers between major locations.

Edited by katoftw

I guess traveling 4 or 5 hours is no big deal to me when it takes 2 night to travel across the USA. Plus I enjoy looking out the windows of trains. I know I need to balance this out more. I'm thinking three nights in Tokyo, 2 nights in Kyushu, and two in Osaka/Nagoya.

I want to ride the Toyama Nagoya line and the line to kochi. I want to ride the trams in Nagasaki.

As you can see I'm still processing this as a work in progressive.

Wide view Hida limited express Toyama to Nagoya = 4 hours one way.

Osaka to Kochi = 4 hours one way. (If it is the Kochi I'm thinking of).

With the limited time you have, you probably need to stay close to the main shinkansen lines and not travel too far away from them.

Since you are flying into Osaka and departing Tokyo - I'd be tempted to do Osaka->Toyama->Tokyo.  3 nights in Osaka/Kyoto, 1 in Toyama (you get to ride trams), and 3 nights in Tokyo.  So do whatever you need to do in Kansai for 3 nights, then travel to Toyama via Nagoya.  A single night in Toyama, then travel to Tokyo for 3 nights.

Edited by katoftw