Designing my tram terminal module

velotrain

Another Japanese speciality is the single track terminal on double track lines with an Y turnout.

This reminds me of a photo that has puzzled me.  I'm aware of the single-track lines, that go double-track at stations.  This photo appears to show a situation where it's single track at the station, but then becomes double track just after the station?

post-941-0-90427800-1409766495_thumb.jpg

I also had a model operational question related to your situation, having to do with automating it.  I was thinking that with a sprung switch set for the departure track, you wouldn't even need to throw it, merely reverse the current when the tram is on the single track section.  I noticed an older thread of someone working on automating the single track line / double at stations scenario, but the single track terminus seems like it would be even easier - it could make a great narrow shelf layout, with an ability to expand in the middle.  I suspect Circuitron makes such a circuit, but wondered if you know of others?

There was a circuit for exactly this in an old Berliner TT Bahn electronics book. It used two diode isolator tracks at the end, so the train stopped when it reached the end, but could reverse out. Polarity was switched with a double pole, double throw, bistable relay driven by a bimetal timer (both were easy to use off the shelf BTTB circuit blocks). The circuit could run either a simple shuttle or a two track, switches at the ends layout ( --<===>-- ). What it made it interesting was that the two tracks didn't have to follow the same route and the train didn't back out immediately, but waited for the timer to switch. A more simplistic method, with the train reversing out immediately could be done by connecting a bistable dpdt relay's two coils serially with the power feed of the end tracks (isolated, without diodes). There are more advanced circuits, like the Tomix TCS automated operation unit, that is programmed for various patterns and track layouts and could control up to 3 trains and multiple turnouts, depending on the layout.

Mudkip Orange

This photo appears to show a situation where it's single track at the station, but then becomes double track just after the station?

They actually manage to run 4.5-minute headways on that line.

CB4E3YD.png

• Like 1

They actually manage to run 4.5-minute headways on that line.

But why is it single track in the station, and double track outside it - or, is there something going on that I'm not seeing?

But why is it single track in the station, and double track outside it - or, is there something going on that I'm not seeing?

It's a terminus on the line. One track in, other track out, buffer at the back. The driver has to walk from one end to the other while the passengers get off and new ones board. This is a good example of the Y ended double track line i was speaking about. It makes sense, since if the turnaround is fast, you only need space for a single train. The more common solution is the two track terminus with a crossover, that lets you have two trains in the station at the same time. (they usually run the two tracks with a first in first out, local/express or primary/storage schedule)

Trackplan: (reds are the stops)

post-1969-0-07691200-1409775148_thumb.png

Edited by kvp
  • Like 1

I've mentioned that some Boston LRT terminals have internal loops, so I thought I'd show two examples, and also two interchange situations that offer interesting modeling possibilities.

First is the Mattapan terminal, which is the terminus of a rather unique line.  Among other things, it's running PCC cars - in 2014!  This is an essentially isolated trolley line, which connects to the Red Line subway at Ashmont station - more on that later.

Incoming cars can be switched to either of the top two tracks, one leading to the outbound platform, and the other to the storage yard / shops.  I love the way the two really tight loops intersect, which would be a challenging track bash.

post-941-0-59643700-1409774596_thumb.jpg

Next is the Cleveland Circle terminal for the C route of the Green Line, the latter being the only non-subway route outside of Ashmont-Mattapan.  At the bottom of the photo is the station of the D - Riverside line.  At the top left corner is a connecting track to the nearby B - Boston College line.  The B and C routes run on Commonwealth Avenue and Beacon Street respectively, which I have always found confusing, as to me it would make more sense to have the route letter correspond to the major avenue they run along than the destination.

post-941-0-30805300-1409774629_thumb.jpg

Now for the modeling potential.  Here is a detail of the D line station at Cleveland Circle, showing the exits to the bus station above the tracks.  In the past, some cars would turn around here, using ramp tracks parallel to the main line, and crossing over the main on a really tight loop at the bus station. 

post-941-0-21145000-1409774653_thumb.jpg

I was thinking this would be an interesting way to have an operating tram-bus interchange without the possibility of collisions, and give your layout some relief from a totally flat surface.

The other modeling potential is at Ashmont, with a similar physical situation, but this time with tram and subway (or commuter line - as you wish).

post-941-0-70812700-1409774706_thumb.jpg

The trolley line uses ramp tracks along the Red Line, and crosses over it with a tight loop, also connecting with a bus station.  This could give you a real intermodal hub, with all three lines operating if you wish, and no level crossings.  You could actually do this as a fairly small layout, with much of the subway/commuter line in a tunnel (underground station?), and the bus and tram lines exposed - but hopefully following different routes.  

No doubt there are similar situations to these in Japan.

It's a terminus on the line. One track in, other track out, buffer at the back. The driver has to walk from one end to the other while the passengers get off and new ones board. 

Thanks for explaining that - you'd think I would be more conscious of a terminus ;-)

However, if the car just reverses from the platform, what is the function of the two tracks?  Maybe "buffer" covers it, but I'm not understand this sense of the word.

Mudkip Orange

However, if the car just reverses from the platform, what is the function of the two tracks?  Maybe "buffer" covers it, but I'm not understand this sense of the word.

Basically the entire line is double track, but with single-track terminals.

The Setagaya Line (the one in your picture) is about 3.5 miles from end to end. At rush hour the scheduled run time from end to end is 19 minutes. Thus at 4.5-minute headways, a given tram must pass no less than five trams in the opposing direction, but - crucially - only one need occupy the terminus at one point in time.

A two-track line with single-track ends is operationally simpler than a single-track line with five separate passing loops.

Mudkip Orange

Let me explain with a badly-drawn MS Paint rendering.

At time 1, the Red and Green trains are about to leave their respective terminals.

At time 2, Red and Green have left and Purple and Gold are preparing to to arrive.

At time 3, the Purple and Gold trains are about to leave their terminals. We are now 1/6th of the way through a complete rotation of vehicles.

Q5XVjaE.png

Thanks Isambard -

For whatever reason - and against all logic - I was looking at the photo backwards, thinking the tracks in the foreground were beyond the terminus point, used perhaps for layover.

railsquid et al -

About 3/4 of the way down at this link:  http://24621953.at.w.../article_3.html

There's a very tiny image of what looks like an urban-themed micro.

Would anyone recognize it, and know where I can find some larger images of it?

It's a miniature take on the recently closed Shibuya Toyoko line station.

Google Image search showing some larger images.

It's a miniature take on the recently closed Shibuya Toyoko line station.

Google Image search showing some larger images.

Before I realized that you were giving me the results of your search, I tried my own and found an interesting site and a couple of photos.

http://pingmag.jp/2013/11/13/tokyo-overground-infrastructure/

post-941-0-88377100-1409784085_thumb.jpg

post-941-0-64043400-1409784146_thumb.jpg

What I like about the model is how 3-dimensional it is, making good use of vertical space.

I don't know if this is Japan or not, but it's a distinctly Western-style pass-through terminal.

attachicon.giftram terminal under building.jpg

I think it's Hong Kong.  Check out the rolling stock and the pass readers: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light_Rail_%28Hong_Kong%29

On near end of the platform on the right, there are some destination signs, the second character on the top sign looks like 門.  Pretty difficult to see, though.  If this were in mainland China, I think it would be written 门, the simplified form.  I'll click around on that wikipedia page until I figure out what station it is. :)

Thanks guys - I really like that track arrangement.

I knew Hong Kong had a lot of the double-decker trams, as well as busses.

I found this shot of rush hour; I'll confess I'm just presuming that it's H.K., but think I'm safe.

post-941-0-24979500-1410486777_thumb.jpg

I'm imagining a micro layout built around a terminal like this with a big building on top of it.

Make it a module instead and you have built in expansion possibilities on either side!

You would be kept busy throwing turnouts  ;-)

Did you check out the tram network in the area? It's very complex, like the streetcar networks of the pre war US. The area was built in the 1970ies as a residential city (new town) a small distance from Hong Kong and it looks like they actually designed the commuting patterns around trams, buses and ferries. The other end of the tram network connects to the commuter heavy rail network at a similarly large tram terminal. The rolling stock is also interesting, more PCC like than the British style double decker ones in the downtown area.

Indeed - it looks like the unofficial system map was drawn by a German.

The variation in routes seems quite slight, apparently related to the location of housing developments.

post-941-0-01869700-1410626418_thumb.png

post-941-0-86928300-1410626539_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Mudkip - I like the cars on the HS links, especially the crimson and cream one; the paint scheme reminds me of classic British coaches.  I'll have to watch for the next offering.

Both cream and red schemes restocked at HS.

Well - I bought some Tomix R280 turnouts, thinking I'd use them for the access to the Express track near the entrance to my terminal.  I might have been able to work with the extra length, but the track center distance of 55 mm is a deal breaker.  My main lines will have widened to the Tomix (tram) standard from Kato UniTram track just to the right of this junction, and there's no way I can get them to this spacing.

I'll most likely stick with this design using the R140 turnouts, largely as I've become quite attached to the physical appearance of it. 

If the Keihan Series 800 cars won't work with it, then I'll find something else to store on this track. 

There is another possibility, but I'm not enthusiastic about it.  That is to only have one R280 turnout connecting to the lower (inbound here) main, and omitting the crossover to the outbound. 

Hmmm . . . I wonder if I could incorporate that with an R140 crossover, giving me maximum flexibility?

The upper crossover is for the internal terminal loop.

post-941-0-75673800-1410650707_thumb.jpg