Tomytec and Tsugawa Yoko

vlakci

Hy 

I am doing some modification on local locomotives. I already did the housing and am searching for motorised chassis. I saw that several good basis are made in Japan:

- Tomytec TM-03 to TM-24

- Tsugawa Yoko TU-7T and TU-TMC100

If any one knows for a seller who ships overseas, takes paypal payment and has on sell at good prices Tomytec (TM-18 or TM-16...) or Tsugawa Yoko (TU-7T or TU-TMC100) it would help me a lot.

On ebay the prices warry quite a lot and after some search I found that direct order from Japanes shops would be the mest solution. But I didn't found any shop that has the webpage in english, or it already has the details for internationals shipping. The biggest concern is to find the chassises under 3000YEN+shipping, as this is the limit for tax free in my country. Otherwise I get 22% tax + some paper fees (min1500YEN surcharge on each parcel -  around 30-50% of the chassis value). Even if the amount is higher none of the sellers I asked, had the option of tax free order, as the tax is payed in the delivery country. After some old orders from Japan I found that is cheaper to send each item alone if the shipping is under 1300YEN

----------

Second I can't find any info if it is possible to order only the trucks (boggie) from an Tomytec TM18. I have already 2x TM-16 which are 2mm longer between trucks, but the axle space is only 14mm. The TM18 has the axle space 15.4mm - I would like to order min4 trucks so that I can mount them on the TM16, as the original model I am making has the mid truck lenght at 95.5mm and trucks axle space at 15.5mm. Even if the wheels/gears are hard used I can swap them from the 14mm trucks.

Edited by vlakci
Guest keio6000

I recommend buying on ebay from ukpartsdeal

(that's a joke)

seriously though, although it's 10% better than it used to be, the japanese seem to be committed to not integrating their online economy with the world's.  "Please don't take my money" is their motto.   I recently contacted a hobby shop that was selling a set of decals I wanted - at 3x the original price but it was the last place to get them.  Sorry, no foreign orders - we don't have the ability to ship it.  Really?  you don't have an envelope and a post office?  crazy.   But japan as always is a mix of old and new - how many companies still insist that you 'fax' them, and let's not talk about japanese banks and post offices :)

Nariichi-san at modeltrainsplus perhaps can help you?

I too don't understand. PlazaJapan which I used already some times on ebay has 6.8$ shipping economy, but now that I checked it I can find 20-30% offers from other shops in Japan. As to the seller there is no difference where he send as the buyer pays the shipping cost and the parcel is only different on the written adresse.

@katoftw - thanks. For now I got in touch with AmiAmi which is at 26$ in YEN as to Plazajapan at 33$. Now I wait for the answer if/when they have in stock the TM-16, TU-7T or TU-TMC100.

Edited by vlakci

I'm not telling you whom to buy off.  But if you cannot find it in their search function, then they probably dont have it.  If it is a rare item, dont waste you time trying to save a few dollars, buy from someone that has it.  Otherwise the wait could be huge.

Tip with PlazaJapan, always buy a few items and request combined shipping.  Evens out the heavy costings a little.

Edited by katoftw

If shipping is low (<7$) I rather buy in multiple shipping as in the end I pay less as if combined and 22% tax and 4.5% customs. My country has a 0 to 22€ item value tax free import, item value 22€-150€ +shipping is subjected to 22% tax, anything over 150€ has additionaly 4.5% customs. If the item/s value is over 22€ the post office while doing the tax and customs adds to the bild from 4€ up to 10€ for paper filling and other administrative costs  :cussing:

If I get a 28$ item and pay 5$ shipping, I don't have any other costs other than 33$. In the case an object is 31$ and shipping 5$ I pay 36*1,22+5=49$(!!). For the difference of 3$ on th eitem value, I get 16$ total customs fees. Same goes on multple shipping: two chassis of 25$x2 + 6$ shipp. => 56*1,22+5=73,32$. Single order, two parcels (25+6)x2=62$.  And this is without taking in calculation tha the shipping can be higher as higher weight or because of higher value insurance is demanden by the seller.

----------------------------------------------------

Back to Tomytec - where to get wheels without trackion tyres? Some if the chassis will be modified (cut, lenghted) and only one truck (boggie) will be powered. The other boggie will have the middle gear removed, but to gain in better contacts I would need wheels without trackion tyres. Is there low cost waggon that has the same wheels of 6mm and that can be reused with the powered units?

Edited by vlakci

If shipping is low (<7$) I rather buy in multiple shipping as in the end I pay less as if combined and 22% tax and 4.5% customs. My country has a 0 to 22€ item value tax free import, item value 22€-150€ +shipping is subjected to 22% tax, anything over 150€ has additionaly 4.5% customs. If the item/s value is over 22€ the post office while doing the tax and customs adds to the bild from 4€ up to 10€ for paper filling and other administrative costs  :cussing:

You get taxed 4,5% over 150€? That is strange since model trains have 0% tax, and that is common over all EEC, since the rules are the same for all countries. 

Probably the goods come declared as toys (if they come as toys they get 4,5% custom tax and may even require the CE conformity mark, but if they come as model trains they get 0%)

As for "administrative costs" I pay a flat rate of 8€ per package. Tax is  23% (at least for now, may come to 24 or 25% on a near future) and we get a nice waiting time of around 2 months for the goods to clear from customs. 

I guess if you really want something, then paying the extra is worth it.  But I understand that is a huge add on cost.

Edited by katoftw