To my surprize!

katoftw

So recieved my first Tomix Shinkansen.  Is a 800-1000 series.  I flip it over to have a look at the power coupler system.  And smack bang in the middle of the car is a "Made in Japan"

I thought Tomix was make in China?  Or is it only the lower quality stuff and scenery stuff made in China?

Interesting question! Now you got me taking out my Tomix to have a look...

So I realised. Some are made in China, while some are made in Japan. I took just 2 cases for an example, one is the Tomix 92852 JR 200 series Renewal Colour and the other is Tomix 92796 JR 400 series Tsubasa Old Colour. Seems like the 200 series is Made in Japan while the 400 series is made in China. I couldn't find any writing in the manual of either to state whether they are made in Japan or China, just to make sure that the writing on the cases are not just for the case alone and not the model. Please see attached pictures.

Now i'm going to assume the newer models, since my 200 series is pretty new, are made in Japan while the older ones, like the 400 series, are made in China? I need to check all my models though to find out more, and to see if we can determine when is the exact year whereby manufacture factory shifts...

But i'm certain Microace is almost always Made in China and Kato is almost always Made in Japan.

post-819-0-51533100-1409120270_thumb.jpg

post-819-0-64620900-1409120275_thumb.jpg

My Tomix DD51 says "CHINA" on the bottom, but a couple of coaches I picked up 2nd hand say "JAPAN". Don't have any more Tomix stuff (at the moment at least).

Martijn Meerts

I think the more famous models and possible somewhat more limited edition runs are made in Japan, while the more standard stuff that gets regular production runs are made in China. All the scenere and Tomytec is made in China I think.

In the end though, I see little difference between the models. In fact, some of the more detailed shinkansen I have are the made in China MicroAce ones. The 25th anniversary 200 series Tohoku shinkansen for example has a lot of detail and is in general one of the best looking shikansen models I have.