Meitetsu Railway Diorama

Tenorikuma

Tenorikuma

I've completed my first creative endeavour in the field of Japanese trains: a diorama measuring 300 mm by 450 mm, set in the spring and based on an actual river crossing near Inuyama Station, on Meitetsu's Inuyama Line.

About everything I could do wrong, I did do wrong; and I made a lot of compromises during the early stages that I'm not pleased about. If I could start over, I'd plan it out more carefully and copy the prototype with more precision. Still, most of it turned out all right.

Photos were taken with my Nikon D50 and a zoom lens, since I don't own a macro lens.

diorama1.jpg

diorama2.jpg

These sakura trees are the part I am most pleased with. These are the third versions of the trees I made for this diorama, after my first two attempts yielded unnatural results.

diorama3.jpg

My series-7000 panorama train by Tomix

diorama4.jpg

The yellow yellow crossing sign and barrier were constructed from a Green Max kit and painted (poorly) by me.

diorama5.jpg

Update: Added overhead view of entire diorama.

diorama6.jpg

quinntopia

Wow! That looks incredible!  You should be really proud!  The trees are beautiful, as is the grass, ballasting and everything else!  You are being far too modest! :-)

disturbman

If I could do that, I will consider myself as a very good modeller. You're too harsh on yourself, or a perfectionist. :)

I really like it, do you think that you could give us a bird's eye view of your more than nice diorama and, if it's not too much to ask, give us your recipe for the blooming trees.

Nice job, really.  8)

Tenorikuma

I really like it, do you think that you could give us a bird's eye view of your more than nice diorama and, if it's not too much to ask, give us your recipe for the blooming trees.

I'll try taking a better bird's eye photo with a different lens later and add it to the main post.

The Sakura Trees:

I started with a wire "tree kit" that is basically just a bundle of wires coated in brown paper and stuck together at the base. I twisted the wires together to make branches and attempted to bend them into realistic shapes. Then I glued in some extra sprigs of a dried plant from the craft store to add density and gave the whole thing a coating of "bark" — white glue mixed with grey modelling sand and brown poster paint.

For the blossoms, I used some sakura foliage made by a German company under the brand name Mini-Natur. They have a special line of tree and ground foliage made specifically for Japanese modellers. I cut the foliage into small tuffs and glued it piece by piece to the tree armatures I had prepared.

For my previous attempts, I had tried using plastic tree armatures from Kato and pink sponge foliage, but it didn't look right at all.

CaptOblivious

That's a hell for a first go!

I'm curious about the flocking and grasses that you used, could you tell us?

This is your first diorama? Incredible! When I saw your 1st photo my impression was it looks like a real scene and not a model. I've been having problems with water fx, what did you use for your water?

I can't wait to see what you do on your next project, your work is outstanding.

Tenorikuma

That's a hell for a first go!

I'm curious about the flocking and grasses that you used, could you tell us?

High praises indeed from the station master of Akihabara! (Through whose site I found this forum, incidentally.)

I tried several flocking techniques to see what would work. I ended up going with a basic mix of green powdery flock sold by Kato, applied with spray glue. Then I glued down tufts of Mini-Natur spring grass (see link above). For the denser vegetation, I ended up using this wiry "Lucky" brand foliage that resembles a dishwashing sponge; which I pulled apart, spray-painted brown, and dipped in powdery flock while wet. The yellow flowers are meant to be rapeseed (nanohana), a common sight here in spring; the hobby shop had some yellow ground cover stuff that worked perfectly.

Tenorikuma

I've been having problems with water fx, what did you use for your water?

The water was my biggest headache! The first product I tried (a local wax-based water product) looked so bad I tore it up and started over.

I ended up using Kato's "Realistic Water"... which was a huge pain. It took 3 days to dry, and continued to set for another month, shrinking constantly as it did. It looks really good, just like water; but it's extremely delicate and gets permanently nicked and deformed by anything that touches it. I ended up having to touch it up with artist's acrylic medium (which dries fast, thankfully); and then to protect it, I painted on some acrylic floor wax I bought at a nearby drug store. This stuff dries quite quickly with a hard, glossy finish.

Next time, I'm going to try just the acrylic floor wax.

disturbman

I just can't stop looking at the pictures. Really, really nice work.

Other question, what did you use for the street?

SubwayHypes

hahah you are too hard on yourself!    that small diarama looks good enough to be in a Tomix catalog!

those cherry blossom trees look awesome, same with your grass and ballasting.

my suggestion- add a few more cars, people, bikes!

diorama5.jpg

where did you get this grass??  i want me some of that.

disturbman

True, a people or two and a bike would definately be nice additions. But cars, common, there is no need.

Puts my T-trak module of Sakura Jinja to shame. I love how those sakura trees came out. I've tried both the Kawaii and the TomyTec trees and by far these beat those hands down.

Yeah, that's a really nice job. All the details--the vegetation, the walls along the river, etc.--really make it look good.

The trees look great--I wonder if it's possible to home-build wire trees like that.

Tenorikuma

I just can't stop looking at the pictures. Really, really nice work.

Other question, what did you use for the street?

I cut strips of matting cardboard from an art shop and spray-painted it with a rock-texture paint I found at a craft store. Then I used chalk pastels to weather it.

Scott: I'm sure you can make your own trees that way. I've even seen a tutorial somewhere online.

SubwayHype: the tufty grass is that Mini-Natur stuff, so I can't take too much credit.

I cut strips of matting cardboard from an art shop and spray-painted it with a rock-texture paint I found at a craft store. Then I used chalk pastels to weather it.

Your roads came out great. The next time you make a road would you mind posting a step by step photo method of how you made them. I used Creative foam from an Art supply store but I prefer your results.

Also what are you using to make road makings?

Tenorikuma

Your roads came out great. The next time you make a road would you mind posting a step by step photo method of how you made them. I used Creative foam from an Art supply store but I prefer your results.

Also what are you using to make road makings?

For the road markings — which I didn't really finish — I just laid down some masking tape leaving a stripe of pavement exposed, then dry-brushed on some white paint. I'm thinking it might help to make some actual stencils so that my road markings are consistent next time.

Ibriand: the buildings are just two random buildings from Tomytec's cheap town diorama collection.

For the road markings — which I didn't really finish — I just laid down some masking tape leaving a stripe of pavement exposed, then dry-brushed on some white paint. I'm thinking it might help to make some actual stencils so that my road markings are consistent next time.

Ibriand: the buildings are just two random buildings from Tomytec's cheap town diorama collection.

I have to admit dollar for doughnut, those TomyTec buildings are the best model railroading buck out there. They really do look good on the layout.

SubwayHypes

^i used a similar road marking technique, then i got bored and just free handed it lol. 

those tomytec diarama buildings definately are nice, especially since they are usually under 10 bucks.

^i used a similar road marking technique, then i got bored and just free handed it lol. 

those tomytec diarama buildings definately are nice, especially since they are usually under 10 bucks.

They're about $5 at hobby stores in Japan; makes a nice impulse buy when you don't find the other stuff you were looking for.

serenityFan

have to say this looks awesome ... and well done with the photography!

now, I wonder where can I get those mini natur sakura folliages from ....  ;D

CaptOblivious

Scenic Express here in the US carries the full line of Mini-Natur products, even if they aren't all listed on their website. Cue: Shashinka…

Yeah they have them in the print catalog. I order few of the Kawai ones that look similar to the ones on that above photos, and did not care for them myself. I much prefer the look to the Tomytec ones. I find most sakura trees sold are too red, or even rose-pink, and not light pint to white.

(For newer members, my big annual festive thing is sakura matsuri in DC. I tend to shoot abut 500-1000 sakura pictures a year, typically taking several days off of work and going to downtown DC the tidal basin and West Potomac Park on peak days before the leafers get there to shoot)