Visiting Japan (Kansai Area) during New Year help and advice?

lurkingknight

(´◕Д◕`)

well.. if you stay there maybe you can look down on what's left and make choo choo noises to yourself....

Edited by lurkingknight

Hello Mr Jensen,

Please consider adding the Osaka Aquarium to your list of things to do.  It is difficult for me to explain, but the aquarium features a huge rotunda (is that the correct word?) tank.  Inside this tank is a whale shark, schools of rays, fish, crabs, and many other interesting marine animals.  Also, the jellyfish collection is excellent.

I have only visited a handful of aquaria but I must say, Osaka Aquarium left me speechless.

If you choose to attend, I recommend arriving around 4:00pm on a weekday to avoid both the peak hour and school visits.  You will find a number of restaurants in the area open around 6:00pm.

http://www.kaiyukan.com/index.html

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e4004.html

http://www.kaiyukan.com/language/eng/index.htm

• Like 1

I'm sure they are under threat of dismissal for having an unauthorised personnel in the CAB. He also say no to pictures too!

You can seat in a small area consist of 2- 3 rows and watch the driver cab if the window is not tainted.

Its nice area to sit and watch, one end is first class other is second class. 

The driver was chatty on my journey.

Yes, sadly the days of railway enthusiasts being invited into the cab (even for a quick look at a station) by a friendly driver are gone in today's knee jerk reaction health and safety world.  Luckily there is plenty of opportunity for an 'out the front' view without it in Japan, just one of the country's many attractions.

I managed to get a seat behind the driver of an ICE on a few occasions in 2008 including from Stuttgart to Frankfurt Airport when the only time the driver tinted the window was while we were stopped in Mannheim so he could have a smoke and another trip coming into the dead end terminal at Munich Hbf with the driver talking on his mobile with one hand and driving with the other. Sometimes you see things you wish you hadn't.

anything south of umeda would be a better choice I think, there's a lot more food at dotonbori and nanba I think. They're only 3-4 stops from umeda on the midosuji line. I enjoyed the area we stayed in so I could be a bit biased since it was my only stay in osaka, it was right off shinsaibashi and a short walk from most of downtown. You can easily spend 3 or 4 days wandering around the shopping arcades... they all butt against each other so it's hard to differentiate between them... we got lost numerous times and every time would always end up at nanba, like it was a black hole that kept sucking us in.

If you like trains I think the westin at umeda has some views of the train yards. You might get some better deals on hotels farther from the station though.

I'm sure nearly if not all people here like trains. I welcome your opinion, that is why I asked. Southern part is more active then the north part (Umeda).

I been to Osaka before in 2007, for 2 nights but didn't spend much time there. Umeda underground shopping was a total maze at first! I got similar experience last year in Tokyo. Worst thing in underground you can't use your GPS. I just been told to buy suitcase full of food for someone, so I expect several luggage each so I'm picking one that is above or next to a transport to the airport, taxi to airport is very dear.

Hello Mr Jensen,

Please consider adding the Osaka Aquarium to your list of things to do.  It is difficult for me to explain, but the aquarium features a huge rotunda (is that the correct word?) tank.  Inside this tank is a whale shark, schools of rays, fish, crabs, and many other interesting marine animals.  Also, the jellyfish collection is excellent.

I have only visited a handful of aquaria but I must say, Osaka Aquarium left me speechless.

If you choose to attend, I recommend arriving around 4:00pm on a weekday to avoid both the peak hour and school visits.  You will find a number of restaurants in the area open around 6:00pm.

http://www.kaiyukan.com/index.html

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e4004.html

http://www.kaiyukan.com/language/eng/index.htm

I was thinking to go or not to go there. You just swayed me to go! Looking forward to the visit, since I going during holiday period do you think I should go early?

Yes, sadly the days of railway enthusiasts being invited into the cab (even for a quick look at a station) by a friendly driver are gone in today's knee jerk reaction health and safety world.  Luckily there is plenty of opportunity for an 'out the front' view without it in Japan, just one of the country's many attractions.

I managed to get a seat behind the driver of an ICE on a few occasions in 2008 including from Stuttgart to Frankfurt Airport when the only time the driver tinted the window was while we were stopped in Mannheim so he could have a smoke and another trip coming into the dead end terminal at Munich Hbf with the driver talking on his mobile with one hand and driving with the other. Sometimes you see things you wish you hadn't.

Well the tainted window is there for the privacy so they can do whatever they like. I pretty sure they not suppose to talk while driving like one of many thing people do. It just like going to restaurants, sometime you just don't want to know what they put in your food.  Wish you good trip in Germany!

I heard from NY Kintetsu , that guy weren't so sure. He said I don't need to pay the train fare, but I need to pay the express separately not sure about Shimakaze special fees yet. Save me 2000 yen each now, so happy, that money will contribute to my next train set!

• Like 1
lurkingknight

well I think trains are cool and all, but I'm not so extreme that I have to ride specific trains or watch them pass by.  So there's different levels of appreciation. :P

The aquarium is pretty cool to check out. It was the only time I've been to one so I don't have much to compare it to. I picked up a stuffed whaleshark as a momento of my visit. It's pretty awesome. Here he is sitting on top of the tower of stuffed things in the back corner.

DSCN2039.JPG

The first week I was having orientation issues... we'd leave the subway and I'd be so turned around I didn't know which way was north.... we'd end up walking the wrong way for a good 5-10 minutes before we'd figure it out... but getting lost in japan isn't so bad. I have a watch with a compass on it now for my next trip lol.

Hello Mr Jensen,

Regarding Osaka Aquarium:

I strongly suggest you attend on a work day rather than public holiday.  If it is a school holiday only then opening time is also reasonable.  Also, I believe they let school groups in before regular opening time, so late afternoon to early evening is best on a school day.

well I think trains are cool and all, but I'm not so extreme that I have to ride specific trains or watch them pass by.  So there's different levels of appreciation. :P

The aquarium is pretty cool to check out. It was the only time I've been to one so I don't have much to compare it to. I picked up a stuffed whaleshark as a momento of my visit. It's pretty awesome. Here he is sitting on top of the tower of stuffed things in the back corner.

The first week I was having orientation issues... we'd leave the subway and I'd be so turned around I didn't know which way was north.... we'd end up walking the wrong way for a good 5-10 minutes before we'd figure it out... but getting lost in japan isn't so bad. I have a watch with a compass on it now for my next trip lol.

I like train moderately, I would try and ride specific train model especially new or special one. I'm more into modern high speed train!

Nice collection of mini figures and lovely soft toys. Your glass case look very familiar, is it from IKEA? I think I had exact or similar one, but my was broken with some my Gundam models inside last year :<

I will need write down to bring a compass with me too!

Thx for the pictures of many people lining up, I'm so amazed every time in Japan people lining up. Last year nartak was nice and took and guide me to Tobu open day, I saw a huge queue of people like thousands. As always people lining up to go on train orderly unlike in UK we just stand randomly on the platform.

Hello Mr Jensen,

Regarding Osaka Aquarium:

I strongly suggest you attend on a work day rather than public holiday.  If it is a school holiday only then opening time is also reasonable.  Also, I believe they let school groups in before regular opening time, so late afternoon to early evening is best on a school day.

Thx for your guidance in avoid the crowds, that is one of few thing I don't like. Then I'll go towards the latter half of my journey. 

lurkingknight

I felt it odd that in many places it didn't seem crowded at all, but in other spots, it was downright claustrophobic. The aquarium visit was close to my breaking point of being too tightly packed in. I was quite surprised as I'm not normally bad with tight spaces.

and yes, it's an ikea detolf, very popular among figure collectors and modellers.

Edited by lurkingknight

I felt it odd that in many places it didn't seem crowded at all, but in other spots, it was downright claustrophobic. The aquarium visit was close to my breaking point of being too tightly packed in. I was quite surprised as I'm not normally bad with tight spaces.

and yes, it's an ikea detolf, very popular among figure collectors and modellers.

Yeap, the exact same one as mine that was broken. Luckily my gundam model were recoverable.

Jensen, you probably know this, but just in case, many things are closed January 1st to 3rd.

I only been told about it after I booked my air ticket. Feel so dumb now, been told major department store open on 2nd. I still trying to see what to do on 1st, maybe some shrine or something. Does anyone know if train run normally or on reduce service?

It may be a reduced schedule, but if you're going to be in Osaka, service is so frequent you won't notice the difference. Visiting shrines would probably be a fine idea, many people visit one on the first day of the year. The only downside to that plan is that they'll probably be crowded, especially major ones. I was thinking more along the lines of shops, attractions like castles and museums, and banks (including some ATMs, a very important point). Scheduling a trip to Japan can be difficult, I think, best to go when you can. I haven't been back in years now. This won't impact your trip much, just plan for it.

It may be a reduced schedule, but if you're going to be in Osaka, service is so frequent you won't notice the difference. Visiting shrines would probably be a fine idea, many people visit one on the first day of the year. The only downside to that plan is that they'll probably be crowded, especially major ones. I was thinking more along the lines of shops, attractions like castles and museums, and banks (including some ATMs, a very important point). Scheduling a trip to Japan can be difficult, I think, best to go when you can. I haven't been back in years now. This won't impact your trip much, just plan for it.

I'm lucky that I've been to Japan the last 2 years. 2012 stayed in Kyushu Island and travel round(Hakata, Nagasaki, Matsumoto, Kagoshima, Miyazaki and Kokura), last year stay in Tokyo and went round Tohoku (Tokyo, Nagano, Matsumoto, Sendai, Akita, Hirosaki, Aomori, Morioka and Mito).

It was fun with lots of trains journey in all variety still really love the 800 Shinkansen! If there is a good price I might buy one this it this time. This time in Kansai area there don't seem to have huge variety of trains or tourist trains like JR Kyushu or JR East, really disappointed. At least the Shimakaze and 500 Shinkansen will be my main targets for this trip. 

I totally agree since working you can't really schedule any holiday to suit you. So go whenever I can, since I finish work on 24th, have family gathering 25+26+27 Dec, and jet off on 28th and arrive 29th morning.

Hello Mr Jensen,

Where do you expect to be on January 1-3?  It may help us decide some good activities for you to do during the public holidays.

That would be very nice of you E6系.

I'm basically staying in Osaka those between 29th Dec 2014 - 3rd Jan 2015. I planning to stay in Umeda. (either the Granvia or Hilton). Want stay close to the a central station to keep travel cost down and save time. 

Thanks you for your help and advie

I just tried searching for a few places that I'd be interested to see, here are the results, which surprise me a bit:

According to this http://www.himeji-castle.gr.jp/ENGLISH/visitor.htm Himeji castle is closed on the 29th to the 31st, but otherwise open.  The Japanese page http://www.city.himeji.lg.jp/s60/2851146/_6909/_6912.html says closed on the 29th and 30th, otherwise open.

Similarly, Hikone Castle is closed the 25th to the 31st, but otherwise open: http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e7001.html  Note that is not an official page.

Osaka Castle is closed the 28th to the 1st: http://www.osakacastle.net/english/museum/

Have you been to the JR Central museum in Nagoya?  It's not that far.  It's closed from Dec 28th to Jan 1st also.  http://museum.jr-central.co.jp/en/facilities/

Just a few ideas.  For those castles, I'd email them to confirm.  I don't think you'll have any trouble.  Plus other things in Kyoto, Nara, Kobe.  A visit to a shrine on the 1st.  Trains to ride, hobby shops to visit, etc etc.

• Like 2

Thx Miyakoji

I will e-mail them regarding exact dates and their opening.

As for JR Central museum is must must go places!

I missed the chance of going to the JR East one last year in Tokyo. 

I'm thinking of travelling on Shimakaze from Osaka to Iseshi or Toba then return to Nagoya to stay a night. Go to Railway museum first thing in the morning. 

I still worried that I'm might not be able to book the Shimakaze so thats why I'm trying to leave it to mid January on a weekday.  

Here is my plan

29th Kyoto, hotel in Osaka (must catch the last day of Sagano train)

30th Kyoto, or Hikone, hotel in Osaka

31st Kobe, hotel in Osaka

1st a shrine or Okayama, hotel in Osaka 

2nd shopping in department store? hotel in Osaka

3rd Rinku Town and sky view observation hall in KIX Fly to Hong Kong

4-12th Hong Kong

12th not confirmed might still be in Hong Kong or flight to KIX

13th not confirmed flight to KIX

14th Iseshi or Toba and Nagoya hotel in Nagoya

15th Nagoya hotel in Osaka

16th Nara hotel in Osaka

17th no plan (may be somewhere with kintetsu since it still valid)

18th Kinosaki Onsen hotel there too

19th Osaka 

20th Osaka 

21st Sad day, returning home on 12.00 flight 

It would be wonderful anyone provide some input to my rough plan, as I need to book my Hong Kong ticket as well as my hotel in 2nd part of Japan!

I recommend a visit to the Den Den Town area in Osaka, it has a few model railroad shops that are worth having a look at.  The neighborhood is mostly toy and electronics shops and if memory serves they have at least 3-4 model railroad shops within about a 10 minute walk of each other.  This is one of them (if you can read Japanese, if not there is some info about the nieghborhood in English here and there):

http://www.cwk.zaq.ne.jp/fkcuk706/index.html

• Like 2

There is indeed a lot of model train shops in Den Den Town, I think I note down some on the Hobby Shop map. Also, if you keep going south on the main road, you will end up at the terminus of the Hankai Tramway line.

I recommend a visit to the Den Den Town area in Osaka, it has a few model railroad shops that are worth having a look at.  The neighborhood is mostly toy and electronics shops and if memory serves they have at least 3-4 model railroad shops within about a 10 minute walk of each other.  This is one of them (if you can read Japanese, if not there is some info about the nieghborhood in English here and there):

http://www.cwk.zaq.ne.jp/fkcuk706/index.html

There is indeed a lot of model train shops in Den Den Town, I think I note down some on the Hobby Shop map. Also, if you keep going south on the main road, you will end up at the terminus of the Hankai Tramway line.

Will do that is pretty high in my list higher then Osaka Castle. It would be my first target if I don't need to catch the Sagano Train in Kyoto.

What sort time do those shop open and close? like Akihabara 10-10? 12-10? 

Thx for the link Sean, can read some Japanese that share same character to Chinese! 

I take it all those shops are surround the Nipponbashi Street?

Does anyone know which shops look cheaper and have wide variety of stocks?

Just wondering have anyone been to the Kato Hobby Centre on Osaka by Esaka Station? worth going there?

Disturbman have you still got a copy of the hobby shop map? if some can you scan it send me a copy? if me time looking for them.

Hello Mr Jensen,

Here is a thread mostly about Kyoto.  Please consider:

http://www.jnsforum.com/community/topic/8125-japan-shuppatsu-shinko/?hl=kurama&do=findComment&comment=89739

thanks E6

the link is really informative. 

The shop that I linked to is open from 10AM to 8PM.  I`m not sure about the others, I visited Den Den Town last year and took in the shops during the afternoon.

For price and selection, Kid`s Land is pretty good.  It isn`t actually a specialty model railroad store, its more of a mega-shop that also sells video games and other toys but they have a lot of stuff.  I have a bit of difficulty remember which other shops were good, but if you have an afternoon to spare they are close enough together that you can just spend a couple (few) hours wandering from one to the other, it was a really fun day for me!

• Like 1

Thx Sean for the opening hours.

I think I should get in to those shops before having dinner if it shut around 8pm. 

It seem shop close earlier in Osaka then Tokyo. 

Kid's land sound fun, I should be stuck in their for at least half a day if it has other toys and models as well!

Cool!

If you do get a chance to stop by Kobe, I recommend having a walk around Sannomiya station (the main station).  There is a really cool shopping arcade built directly underneath the elevated Hankyu and JR rail lines which runs all the way from Sannomiya to Motomachi and then Kobe stations.  There aren`t any model railroad shops in it, but the whole neighborhood, being built directly under the tracks, is a sight to see. It has been there since the 1940s and a lot of it is original, it is kind of an inspirational sight (at least for model railroad enthusiasts) and kind of a fun neighborhood just to explore.

• Like 2
lurkingknight

order a chef knife and pick it up in person? lol.

I'm researching some makers in the osaka area right now. I'm looking for a chef/kitchen knife and would love to pick it up in person next spring when I'm there. That'd be a neat story and I'd have a fine knife to cook with . Anyone have any recommendations about that?

The inner nerd in me really wants a custom knife hand forged by a smith with sword making lineage made just for me, on top of picking it up from the workshop itself. That makes for a cool story.

Edited by lurkingknight