A sad ad

railsquid

Apologies if this is off-topic, but for the last few days this advert has been popping up all over the various sites I view (I guess Google has been tracking my viewing habits):

post-1206-0-99497600-1407930063_thumb.png

The bit in green says "My wife is making me sell my beloved model railway collection" and below that "For people who at least want to  get a good price for it... " (ad leads to this site).

Haha ~~ That's actuallu quite funny, and innovative for an ad ~ Good one!

* Why do all the wives / girlfriends hate trains?

Guest keio6000

Mine likes trains and lets me buy as much as I want, more or less.  But she doesn't let me build a layout - she says let that wait until we're old...

Probably not bad logic, and also convenient, given my utter lack of layout building skill :)

Maybe it's the apparent "childishness" (toys!) combined with the money, space and time/attention-sucking aspects?

I guess I'll find out soon how my wife will take my "new" hobby. Mind you when she saw my initial purchase, a single car from our local line, she was all "Ooh that's cute, where did you get that? Oh, it doesn't have any destination blinds? Pity. Can you join more than one together? And the rails too?" so I am quietly optimistic. Also she has her own collection of erasers-as-models-of-food so she can't blame me. Except the erasers are cheaper.

Haha ~~ That's actuallu quite funny, and innovative for an ad ~ Good one!

Well they are something you sink a load of money into.

My wife is neutral with the trains so far. She likes them but not overly enthusiastic with them.

But in general they don't like them because:

1) Its addictive! You should only have one addiction: her. 

2) Its time consuming. Less time for her. 

3) When you do your carpentry/layout building it is often her "job" to clean after you. (even if you clean your mess, it's never ok for her, so she does it again)

4) It consumes a lot of space and also money. 

5) It is usually a danger zone near the layout! "don't touch the ...... " "be careful with the ...." "that is very fragile! careful where you put your hands!"  

6) It's not (most of the times) perfectly in sinc with the rest of the decoration :)

7) ... the list goes on and on and on :)

• Like 1
Mudkip Orange

I think some proportion of women are just inherently down on men having any hobbies/activities that don't involve them. You try to open a guys-only gym and you'll last about 6 months before you get a civil rights lawsuit. But Curves for Women has over 3,000 US locations.

Personally this is all moot as my girl thinks trains are cool.

Edited by Mudkip Orange

Haha sorry for making this into a thread where the partners come in, hehe ~~

This thread should be made hidden in case there are wives standing behind our cpu screens...

Mine likes trains and lets me buy as much as I want, more or less.  But she doesn't let me build a layout - she says let that wait until we're old...

Probably not bad logic, and also convenient, given my utter lack of layout building skill :)

Lucky you bro! Well that's alright, but how would you run your trains when you like to? At least you got 'green light' to go ahead with buying them..

Maybe it's the apparent "childishness" (toys!) combined with the money, space and time/attention-sucking aspects?

I guess I'll find out soon how my wife will take my "new" hobby. Mind you when she saw my initial purchase, a single car from our local line, she was all "Ooh that's cute, where did you get that? Oh, it doesn't have any destination blinds? Pity. Can you join more than one together? And the rails too?" so I am quietly optimistic. Also she has her own collection of erasers-as-models-of-food so she can't blame me. Except the erasers are cheaper.

Another lucky bro here! Her eraser model foods hobby is interesting too, saw those and I know they look REALLY cute... Minute bowls of Ramen with floating chopsticks, mini plates of curry rice etc.. Mine first impression was like:" Why they look really good", but now she is also open to my buying (though most of the time she doesn't know what and when the new trains come in)...

Well they are something you sink a load of money into.

Actually, not much as compared to branded handbags and shoes.... I've got friends with branded watches collection like Rolex and stuff....

Am I seeing girlfriends/wives selling model trains on that website? 0_0

Yap! Those are the ones who took their husbands/ boy friends trains and sell them off when they're at work! Haha ! The guy will be like: "Where the heck is my Tobu Spacia 100 series?" when he gets home....

My wife is neutral with the trains so far. She likes them but not overly enthusiastic with them.

But in general they don't like them because:

1) Its addictive! You should only have one addiction: her. 

2) Its time consuming. Less time for her. 

3) When you do your carpentry/layout building it is often her "job" to clean after you. (even if you clean your mess, it's never ok for her, so she does it again)

4) It consumes a lot of space and also money. 

5) It is usually a danger zone near the layout! "don't touch the ...... " "be careful with the ...." "that is very fragile! careful where you put your hands!"  

6) It's not (most of the times) perfectly in sinc with the rest of the decoration :)

7) ... the list goes on and on and on :)

Nice summary! Quite true to a certain extend...

I think some proportion of women are just inherently down on men having any hobbies/activities that don't involve them. You try to open a guys-only gym and you'll last about 6 months before you get a civil rights lawsuit. But Curves for Women has over 3,000 US locations.

I have to say I don't really understand the "my wife allows me/lets me X but not Y" type statements. Most of the guys who say this are the primary breadwinners... when did they relinquish so much control over the house that they're paying for?

It seems like a lot of guys are just ridiculously conflict-avoidant when it comes to the womenfolk. But this is backwards to me. Women thrive on drama... so it's good to start an argument now and then. Be stubborn. I've always thought trains are an optimum subject to fight over... beyond the time/space/money aspect, there's no other negatives. You're certainly not going to meet the "other woman" at a train meet.

Personally this is all moot as my girl thinks trains are cool.

That's interesting and true to a certain extend too... Well, it's like the women folk will never say 'there's too much money in the house' as compared to 'there's too much trains in the house'... There's a certain thin line that we all thread on, and I think life is all about balance right?   :)

Mine is fine with my trains, and I was surprised she actually asked me 1 month ago: "Have you stopped ordering trains? I don't see new parcels coming in. You should order some once in a while'  I was like !!! 

Though I actually ordered in more than she ever imagined, just that the parcels were always delivered when she was out at work ~~  :P

Yap! Those are the ones who took their husbands/ boy friends trains and sell them off when they're at work! Haha ! The guy will be like: "Where the heck is my Tobu Spacia 100 series?" when he gets home....

I haven't even had a girlfriend ever so I'm not really one to talk, but if she would do things like that I'm not sure she would be the one. If you don't even have mutual trust, how the heck can you have a normal relationship?

Or am I taking things to a whole new level we can better discuss on a different forum? :grin

Guest keio6000

Lucky you bro! Well that's alright, but how would you run your trains when you like to? At least you got 'green light' to go ahead with buying them..

I have over 1000 pieces of unitrack.  I just make a giant floor layout whenever I feel like it.

I like miyakoji's good natured take on mudkip's "insights" :)

Densha:  I have no idea what your life status and situation is, etc, but it's important to understand, especially when you are "dating", that not everybody will be perfect.  Finding a partner is more about finding out where your imperfections nevertheless fit than trying to find somebody "perfect."   When and if you do start dating, don't wait until the "perfect" one comes along.  you have a very healthy and mature overall view of relationships, but remember that experienced gained during dating with a variety of people can help you make a better relationship when and if the right one comes along.

The Next Station Is...

Mine likes trains and lets me buy as much as I want, more or less. But she doesn't let me build a layout - she says let that wait until we're old...

My partner is the opposite - I am being 'encouraged' to finish the modules I am building before getting any scenery or parts for new modules...

I'm quite lucky that my partner is of the hobby and collectors mindset, so she's quite understanding aside from not being interested in trains at all.

OK, it looks like my wife is a keeper - I just introduced her to my nascent layout and she was fascinated by it. More by the accessories than the trains (as I expected), but she was flipping excitedly through the Kato catalogue and looking around the room to see how to make a longer track etcetera. So looks like I am good to go ;).

Oh, and apparently I need some freight wagons. And a Yamanote line. And a mountain.

Edited by railsquid

OK, it looks like my wife is a keeper - I just introduced her to my nascent layout and she was fascinated by it. More by the accessories than the trains (as I expected), but she was flipping excitedly through the Kato catalogue and looking around the room to see how to make a longer track etcetera. So looks like I am good to go ;).

Oh, and apparently I need some freight wagons. And a Yamanote line. And a mountain.

Oh that's nice to hear! Enthusiasm in the Mrs. almost mean a green light to your hobby! But it can be a double-edged sword as since she is enthusiastic and very into it, she might be able to find out the micro details of the layout and know exactly which are new. This could mean; "Dear did you buy a new train yesterday?" test... Haha ~~ :)

Mine knows nuts about trains, so in a way, that's cool since she wouldn't know when the new ones arrive.  :)

My wife doesn't mind it and occasionally joins me. We set a budget and stick with it. It's quite simple for us :)

Same here, we have setted up a budget for each of us that we can spend with no question asked and we stick with it

That's nice ~ Usually I plan the budgeting in the family and lets her keep all her salary, so that at least one of us is saving much.

So aside from utilities and misc bills, remittance, and home and food/ groceries, I still cater a few for modelling so that I can have some fun aside from working all the time and solting my lungs out for money. This hobby really gets me interested and excited to go onwards in life~ Perhaps that will change when the little ones come along?

Have boys.  That way it is an excuse to get more.  Works in my household.

Around here, it's my daughter that is more interested on the trains. The boy likes to play but gets tired very fast. The girl plays with the trains more often and during more time. 

Maybe it will change with time but for now it's like that. 

As for expenses, that remains to be seen. So far I've bought trains and track and had no problems with it, but the value was low and covered by the sale of my H0 stuff.