Dutch comedy sketch on rail fanning

Densha

Actually didn't really think about that, but Dutch people say often 'yes' nowadays. Influence of the English language. Not that this is a new one though, somewhere from the late '90s methinks

I think that was filmed in the lunchroom near Woerden station. It is now long gone because of the elevation and quadrupling of the tracks... I used to go have coffee and a popsicle a few times with my father IIRC. ^^

Nice story Toni! I often passed by Woerden in a Koploper to the eastern outskirts of the country, good memories. Now it's a view of dull concrete, sound barriers and ugly Dutch modernistic architecture. :( (at least the elevated parts in Utrecht are)

Toni,

Sure they didn't model this character on you licking your Popsicle and yessing at trains going past?! ;-p

Very cute.

But flip the coin. Ever watch sports fans watching a game? They make this chap look mundane...

Always nice to find the thing that trips your trigger!

Cheers

Jeff

I actually was a pretty (and still am) silent and restrained train watcher. I would just stand and watch. Capture the glory of the passing trains. Back then still hauled by impressive locomotives (1100, 1200, 1300 and 1600 series). Even with a group of friends nowadays, we tend to be quite restrictive in our behaviour. We don't want to profile ourselves as the spergburgers that we actually are xD

You can say I'm jealous that you were able to see all those locos in action. ;) Unfortunately the 1700 (only 20 years in service) are now also being phased out in favour for the boring Traxx locos (http://www.railcolor.net/index.php?nav=1411433&lang=1&id=92631&action=portrait). The positive thing is that the 1200 are still going strong! I saw one at Rotterdam pulling a sleeper train a few months back. :)

Edited by Densha

You can say I'm jealous that you were able to see all those locos in action. ;) Unfortunately the 1700 (only 20 years in service) are now also being phased out in favour for the boring Traxx locos (http://www.railcolor.net/index.php?nav=1411433&lang=1&id=92631&action=portrait).

To be honest, I don't hate the Traxx locomotives and I'm sure if the NS wasn't in a hurry when ordering this series, they would have opted for a different front design (as per tradition. Kind of...). They do make an awesome VVVF inverter sound when they accelerate. The standard NS livery on them look a bit weird in that sense... NS colours don't match such a blocky German design very well, plus it's an IC coach livery. Not for locomotives. What were they thinking?

Ahh but Toni you don't see yourself! You might think you are being reserved but really looking like this dude! I'm sure many sports fans think they are being reserved!

Jeff

Nice stories Densha and Toni!

Pretty funny and there were no one else in the restaurant... The waitress must be thinking: "what a strange guy'. If the guy were to work in that restaurant?

Side track - What are the trains featured in the video? They looked pretty strange, being 2 carriages each and coupled together...

Even after becoming a Rail fan, I still couldn't get excited looking at our crappy MRT system. Still doesn't look nor feel anything like a train...

To be honest, I don't hate the Traxx locomotives and I'm sure if the NS wasn't in a hurry when ordering this series, they would have opted for a different front design (as per tradition. Kind of...). They do make an awesome VVVF inverter sound when they accelerate. The standard NS livery on them look a bit weird in that sense... NS colours don't match such a blocky German design very well, plus it's an IC coach livery. Not for locomotives. What were they thinking?

Exactly to the point. I just don't really like the Traxx' design; it just doesn't do it for me. Probably mainly related to the front which they solved in the newer Traxx 3 series: http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bombardier_Traxx#Traxx_3 But NS got the older version. :P IC coach livery doesn't make sense either, here's my bad photoshop into standard NS livery (photo is NOT my property): http://www.jnsforum.com/community/uploads/gallery/album_94/gallery_638_94_45174.jpg

Yup. The first is probably based on the JNR 485/489 series, at least I've been thinking that because the NS ICM was designed later than those Japanese EMUs. Just look how much it looks like the Japanese equivalent:

The Plan V trains will be withdrawn in 2016 according to schedule to make place for new EMUs by either Alstom or CAF (the NS is deciding which now).

Edited by Densha

The only thing I could pick was the guy is drinking milk instead of that nice bottle of wine ... oh ... or is that the joke? .... .... .... I don't get it ...

What is he eating?

IIRC it's called a 'Blankenburger'. Buns, beef patty, bacon and eggs with fries on the side. Calorie-bomb.

Ahh but Toni you don't see yourself! You might think you are being reserved but really looking like this dude! I'm sure many sports fans think they are being reserved!

That's very true, but my level of self reflection is quite present. However, usually when I'm acting like a hooligan I'm drunk and I couldn't care less. My friends can tell, as well as some security personnel at a few certain clubs and bars. xD

Train watching on the other hand is serious business, so no drinking until the seriousness is over (which is: favourite train seen, ridden and photographed - time to pop the cans). You wouldn't want the pictures to get all blurry, now would you? ;)

P.s. that doesn't mean that I'm a hooligan when I drink though... It wouldn't be possible to sustain a balanced family/life/world/universe xD

Edited by Toni Babelony

IIRC it's called a 'Blankenburger'. Buns, beef patty, bacon and eggs with fries on the side. Calorie-bomb.

I actually think the waitress said that. ;)