Japanese Travel Poll

How many trips to Japan have you made?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. How many trips to Japan have you made?

• Never
    • Only ocne
    • Two to five times
    • More than five
    • I lived there
    • I live there now

Marti make sure you climb fuji you won't regret it.

plus the trip there from osaka and or tokyo is great.

If you go from osaka you will get to ride a great variety of trains. The best is the final train up to fuji before getting the bus to the bottom or the 5th stop if you can't do the whole climb.

See if I can dig up photos of the trains I took might be at a mates who came with me still though.

Martijn Meerts

Marti make sure you climb fuji you won't regret it.

plus the trip there from osaka and or tokyo is great.

If you go from osaka you will get to ride a great variety of trains. The best is the final train up to fuji before getting the bus to the bottom or the 5th stop if you can't do the whole climb.

See if I can dig up photos of the trains I took might be at a mates who came with me still though.

There's so much I want to see in Japan, it'd be hard to plan a trip :)

I guess I should change strategy a bit. I've always thought the first time I go to Japan, I want to see a lot of historical stuff like temples, and mainly the countryside rather than the big cities. However, maybe I should just make sure I got to Japan and get used to a variety of things, which would make a 2nd trip easier. Still, I'll likely have to go there by myself, which isn't really my strong point.

Maybe I should hook up with Shashinka on one of his Japan railfanning trips ;)

Martijn, it seems to me that one major issue is using time efficiently, and one way to do that is to make good decisions regarding transportation.  You can get plenty of info on that here!  Even if the destination is just a place to watch more trains :grin

back in 2000 my first trip to japan i went with my mate.

we planned in 5 weeks of stuff into 15 days.

we got the good stuff done.

BTW we did not book a hotel, only for the first night.

I would not worry too much about planning accomodation but more so what you want to do then list out a bunch of hotels in each area/city you will be in and find one and check in.

Reason we did this is we could change plan to suit how much we enjoyed a single area. Truth is it's not hard to find accomodation in jpn or at least that has been my experience.

Areas i like most, tokyo (of course) Nikko, kyoto, Osaka, Fuji area i.e. the towns are really interesting near here and the trains are old skewl, i would also recommend if in summer going to an island like megi/ogi jima as there is a little beach and a days worth of sight seeing and talking to 90 year old japanese ladies who are farming and having no idea what there saying hahahaha.

I got caught talking to this really old japanese lady who owned more than half the land on ogi jima. didn't have a clue what she was saying but she went on for over 20 minutes with me nodding my head and smiling hahahahaah.

I would not worry too much about planning accomodation but more so what you want to do then list out a bunch of hotels in each area/city you will be in and find one and check in.

Reason we did this is we could change plan to suit how much we enjoyed a single area. Truth is it's not hard to find accomodation in jpn or at least that has been my experience.

Areas i like most, tokyo (of course) Nikko, kyoto, Osaka, Fuji area i.e. the towns are really interesting near here and the trains are old skewl, i would also recommend if in summer going to an island like megi/ogi jima as there is a little beach and a days worth of sight seeing and talking to 90 year old japanese ladies who are farming and having no idea what there saying hahahaha.

I got caught talking to this really old japanese lady who owned more than half the land on ogi jima. didn't have a clue what she was saying but she went on for over 20 minutes with me nodding my head and smiling hahahahaah.

I agree wholeheartedly with all points here.  I think I reserved hotel rooms on a trip to Ehime, which I took after being in Japan only a few months.  After that, never again.  I just found all the 5000yen/night hotels in an area and went.  Never ran into trouble.

LOL. I was thinking the same thing. I was going to mention it when you come out here in a couple weeks if you might want to tag along with me for the great Hokkaido rail adventure.

Martijn Meerts

LOL. I was thinking the same thing. I was going to mention it when you come out here in a couple weeks if you might want to tag along with me for the great Hokkaido rail adventure.

It'd definitely be interesting :)