Masterpiece single arm pan for an ARU work motor?

Ken Ford

I have an ARU Nine Randen-style work motor kit coming in from MTP. The kit comes with poles, but I need a single arm pan. The pan off a Modemo Randen tram would be perfect but they aren't available as spare parts.

I see lots of dummy pans sold as parts, but I can't get a sense of their size - most of them seem to be for heavy mainline electrics. I'm thinking a pan off a Kato Portram would be about the right size, but I've had no success finding a part number for them.

I did see an out of stock pan kit on HS - the manufacturer is Masterpiece, part number 190066. It appears to be very similar to the Randen pans, much closer than the Portram pans.

Is anyone familiar with Masterpiece that can suggest alternate sources? I'd like to try and find one before looking for a spare Randen tram from which to salvage the pan.

I did some cut-and-paste Googling and found the Masterpiece website. I sent them an email, let's see what happens.

The tomix portram pantographs would be the right size. The new three section ones come with a fixed one and have to be replaced with a movable one. This can be obtained from any shop that sells tomytec trains.

Thanks - if the Portram ones are the right size, the Kato ones should work if Masterpiece doesn't pan out. (Groan). I can always surface mount a Portram pan using canopy cement and change it out for Masterpiece later if I find one.

I think the nearest hobby shop offering Tomix or Tomytec is a few continents away. I rely heavily on web purchases, and Kato is much easier to find.

I'll keep looking for a nonoperational Modemo Randen tram to use for parts, too.