Sign in to follow this  
bikkuri bahn

Ueno-Tokyo Line inspected by local residents

bikkuri bahn

This Saturday local residents were invited to walk a 800m section of the Ueno-Tokyo Line between Akihabara and Kanda. The line is scheduled to open next spring.  ANN news report:

Ibaraki Shimbun report. High quality raw footage.  According to this, test train runs will begin later this month. Note at 1:36 the diagram showing the steep grade on this line, 34.38 permils, or 3.438%.

Edited by bikkuri bahn
  • Like 1

Sacto1985

It'll be interesting to see what trainsets they'll use to test the new line. My guess: E233's normally used between Ueno and Takasaki/Utsunomiya, E531's normally used between Ueno and Iwaki, and E657's normally used between Ueno and Iwaki on the Hitachi service.

miyakoji

I think we discussed that 211 series won't make it up this grade. Does this apply to any types less than 15 years old?

bikkuri bahn

I think the newer types can negotiate the grade, as long as there are enough motor units in the consist that can handle the weight under crush load conditions.

kvp

The number of powered wheels on a 50% powered train should be more than enough, so the sets won't slide backwards. The power required to reach 120 km/h should be enough to move them up this grade at 20-40 km/h. They won't be fast, but i think even a fully loaded 103 series could make it. Power consumption on the ramp is another matter, but it's only a short distance and motors could be loaded to their hourly rating, which is much higher than their continous rating. (of course, for a heavy winter or a rainy season, i would add sanding equipment to all powered bogies, just to be sure)

Guest ___

It would be a major embarrassment if they start testing only to discover that half the test-type trains can't climb the grade, forcing JR-E to figure out some sort of power change to use the line.

Darklighter

According to Wikipedia trains on the Sōbu Main Line have to climb up a 33 permil grade after leaving Ochanomizu station. I guess JR East have some experience with steep grades. ;)

Sacto1985

I do think the E233 and E531 commuter trainsets and the E257 limited express trainset should be able to negotiate the grade on the Ueno-Tokyo Line. That will allow trains from Iwaki, Utsunomiya and Takasaki to make it at least as far as Shinagawa and eventually Yokohama.

Guest ___

According to Wikipedia trains on the Sōbu Main Line have to climb up a 33 permil grade after leaving Ochanomizu station. I guess JR East have some experience with steep grades. ;)

Until said train try to run the new line and start having issues, right :) ?

Guest keio6000

every step that child takes = $10million of track? :)

kvp

Does this mean the commuter trains that are now terminating at Tokyo station would also go north? (mainly Tokaido line e233-s)

Btw: What are those rust colored spots where everything is painted brown within a rectangle, including the brand new ballast?

bikkuri bahn

Does this mean the commuter trains that are now terminating at Tokyo station would also go north? (mainly Tokaido line e233-s)

Btw: What are those rust colored spots where everything is painted brown within a rectangle, including the brand new ballast?

Yes, some of the trains running on the Tokaido Line will continue on north, much like the Shonan Shinjuku Line operations.

Likely to designate location of signal cables or the like.  Notice the sleepers are a different type- probably designed to be easily removable to allow access to the underrunning cables.

bikkuri bahn

every step that child takes = $10million of track? :)

More like $35,000 per step, given the $400 million pricetag of the line. :glasses11: