Tomix All wheel Power Pick Up

katoftw

When did all wheel pick for tomix shinkansens first start. Is there a specific year, or is it random depending on model?

I can look at pictures (from hobby search) and see the copper wiring on the clamps. Just curious if there was a specific year it came about if looking at Tomix Shinkansens for future purchases.

Edited by katoftw

Interesting... I reckon you're referring to the power coupler? Or are you referring to the all wheel pick-up as in all wheels of every carriage has electric pick up? I'm sure the all wheel pick up came before the power coupler, and the older Tomix models doesn't even have al wheel pickups, like in the instance of my 500 series. The bogies are missing the springs and metal contact slips to conduct the electricity and pickup from the tracks, which mean the interior lights won't even work (since there is no current pickup)  

While i'm not entirely sure when it came out, the power coupler system is a marvel. You can find out if the model has power coupler system by looking for '通電カプラー' or 'power conducting coupler' in its description, like in the case of the 200 series, N700/ N700A series, the newer E2 model, the recent 300 series, E5, E6, etc. There are also 2 types of power coupler, the ring/ hock type 'フック&リング式' as seen on E2 and the newer U-shaped type 'U字型' as seen on E5.

With and without the power coupler system, one can really see the difference, in terms of really low speed running and non-flickering interior lights that would often happen in Kato models...

I'm in the process of figuring and changing my Tomix fleet to have power couplers, since most/ all of my shinkansen are going to be interior lighted. Definitely interesting to change them ~~   

Edited by JR500 のぞみ

yeah the power couplers is what i was referring to. the name eluded me at the time of originally posting.

all the current models i'm looking at seems to be fairly new releases, 800-0 800-1000 700-8000 sanyo/kyushu and 700-7000 kumamon shinkensens.

the newly released last month 300 sets also interest me.

so considering the kato shinkansens like their freight stuff is always low stock, out of stock etc. or just not the range available compared to tomix. i'm probably gonna switch my shinkansen fleet to tomix. but only if they have the power coupler, others without they ain't no better than kato.

Edited by katoftw

Firstly, let me try to answer your queries based on the models you've listed:

Tomix 92836 800-0 series - YES powered coupler '通電カプラー' http://www.tomytec.co.jp/tomix/products/n/92837.htm

Tomix 92837 800-1000 series - YES powered coupler '通電カプラー' http://www.tomytec.co.jp/tomix/products/n/92837.htm

Tomix 92981 / 92986 N700-8000 series - YES powered coupler '通電カプラー'

Tomix 98925 N700-8000 Kumamon/ Kurochan series - YES powered coupler '通電カプラー'http://www.tomytec.co.jp/tomix/products/n/98925.htm

Tomix 92869 300 series Latest Version - YES powered coupler '通電カプラー' http://www.tomytec.co.jp/tomix/products/n/92869.htm

Seems all those you listed comes with powered coupler. Usually the later released Tomix shinkansens come with them, but I haven't seen powered couplers out of the shinkansen range yet. It would be nice if they were....

Lastly, I have to disagree with your statement regarding Kato and Tomix. It's always a long and hard argument about these two brands, and each have their own advantages, plus points and minus points over the other. It's an endless struggle, but a good one for consumers to decide on which they like better.

Personally, i'm a Tomix man, because of the power coupler, and the ability to use third party interior lights like illumi. I only buy Kato models when Tomix doesn't make them, like in the case of the Super Hitachi and E655 Nagomi, or when there is the tilting mechanism which I like too and the model i'm going for, like E351 Super Azusa.

The first n700 tomix was the first with the power couplers for all wheel pickup.

It really is a feature I love as it makes the trains run soooo well even on really dirty track and wheels (can make you get sloppy) and with lighting can really reduce flickering. I've moved to mostly tomix for all my Shinkansens, but still have some kato Shinkansens. As jr500 noted the brands are very competitive with each other in many aspects. Kato has nicer diaphragms on the shinkensens but no power coupling. I've found some of the newer kato Shinkansen coupling mechs like on the n700 (and some older ones like the e1) to be cranky runners in my experience but others have not had issues. Generally I rarely find the simple tomix diaphragms to be any running issue except when one gets pinched for the body betting bent in a little along the side (easily fixed by adjusting the side bend and just a tad of dry silicone lube on there.)

All wheel pickup for consists is really one of the best improvements I've seen in n scale for a long time!

Jeff

Seems all those you listed comes with powered coupler. Usually the later released Tomix shinkansens come with them, but I haven't seen powered couplers out of the shinkansen range yet. It would be nice if they were....

The non rapido versions, like the drawbars in the Hakone-Tozan sets or the close coupling shibatas in the high grade sets could have conductive connectors relatively easily, since the all wheel pickups are already in place, even on cars that doesn't come with factory installed interior lights and the couplers are connecting rigidly in the middle. This is also the case for some modemo sets.

I dont wanna debate Kato vs Tomix.

Using Tomix for my freight cars. Availability and cost made this decission.

Using Kato for my communters. Kato has what I want that Tomix does not.

Using Kato for my DE and EF/H engines. Prefer Kato modelling finishes.

I would prefer Kato for Shinkansens as I think their product is slightly better quality (in my opinion, lets not debate here), but they do not offer products that I want.

8 car Sanyo/Kyushu 700 series Shinkansens. 800 series. 8 car 500 series (pantographs on car 2 and 7).

Sure Kato had DCC friendly models, but none of the above are, or have been updated by Kato in X number of years. 10 years in the case of the 800s.

So DCC friendly comes out of the equation when making a decision on which to buy. So power couplers is the only decision maker. And Tomix have those.

I'm not gonna buy a Kato 800, a Tomix 800, a Kato 700 and a Tomix 700. As there will be differences in the modelling. So I'll pick a manufacturer for my Shinkansens now, and stick with it. Easy enough to sell off my Kato 4 car 500 series, or keep it around for a while as Tomix's version seems out of stock everywhere recently.

The reason for the original question when I go looking online at other models not exampled above, I may know if they have power couplers from their release date or not.

My next few purchases are gonna be Shinkansens. And I only have 1 Kato 500 series 4 car Shinkansen. So now is the time to make the decission to switch. I hope that all makes sense to those reading.

Edited by katoftw

No worries. Competition and comparison between brands always makes products better and more choices for the consumer.  :)

It is also what makes each product unique and different from the other, like the power coupler for Tomix and Tilting Mechanism for Kato. Thing to note also I like the printed destination roll signs on the shinkansens that Tomix always lack, and there's this ugly transparent glass where the roll sign is... (unless of course you apply decal on them)

For Shinkansens, you wouldn't go wrong with Tomix. There's a wide range of them around, and the power coupler really helps especially in very long trains like the Shinkansens (if you're going to run 16-car full lengths). There's sometimes also 2 motor cars in Tomix meaning you can get even better traction and power when running the long beast. Lastly, the ability to use cheaper alternative interior lighting like the illumi certainly helps if you're thinking of running full consists as 16 numbers of interior lights do cost a fair bit and the price difference really stands out then.

Probably why i'm buying a lot of shinkansens from Tomix, and changing my fleet to all Tomix for the same reason of being uniform. Adding on, Tomix does the 400 series which means being uniform one can run almost all available variations for JR East, like 200 + 400, E4 + 400 etc.  

Going back to the topic of the power couplers, i'm really hoping to see if anyone has a really good solution to convert normal ones to electric conducting types. The video I posted in the other thread is kinda interesting, but I think there are issues with the cars turning.

NuclearErick

Sorry for the delay, this post is long so next week i will post the E-Series

0系

•        92913 Special 20 Century Edition              NO

0-2000系:

•        92704 with 2855/2858M/2859                     NO
  •        ?? Gare De Passage a special edition Good Bye Tokaido Shinkansen with 5 Pins NO
  •        92355/92356/92357                                    YES

0-7000系:    

•         92702 with 92703 West Hikari                     NO
  •         92752 Fresh Green Color                           NO
  •         92393 30th Aniversary                                NO
  •         92963 Last Run Hikari                                 YES

100系

•         92929 Last Run Hikari 09/16/2003             NO
  •         X:         92286/7/9M/90T                             NO
  •         G:        92286/8/9M/90T                             NO
  •         92755 Fresh Green Color                          NO
  •         92823 Fresh Green Color                          YES
  •         92987 Revival Color K Set                         YES        

200系

•         92999 30th Aniversary Tokohu                               YES
  •         93512 30th Aniversary Joetsu                                 YES
  •         92852/3 Renewed Design                                       YES
  •         92641 + 92121 can be couple with 400 or E3         NO

200-2000系:

•         92625 6 Cars SET    
  •         92206 3 Cars SET
  •         adds: 2824M + 2825T + 2826 + 2830 Double Deck NO

300系

•         92991 Limited Edition 300-3000                               YES
  •         92997 Last Run 03/16/2012                                     YES
  •         92939/92124 adds 2862+2863+2864                       NO
  •         92808/92809/92810                                                 YES
  •         92869/92870/92871                                                 YES

400系

•         92640 add 2839                                                         NO    
  •         92733                                                                         NO            
  •         92758                                                                         NO
  •         92795                                                                         NO
  •         92796                                                                         NO

500系

•         92082/92083/92084 Adds 2872+2876M                     NO
  •         92306/92307/92308 Adds 8835+8836M                     NO
  •         92968 Last Run Nozomi 02/28/2008                           YES
  •         92815 Kodama                                                            YES

700系

700-3000系

•         92264/92265/92266/92267                                         NO

700-7000系 RailStar

•         92276/92277                                                               NO
  •         92751                                                                          NO
  •         92822                                                                         YES

Doctor Yellow

•         92227+92228                                                              NO    
  •         92918                                                                          NO            
  •         92429/92430                                                              YES

N700系

N700 Z0系

•         92314/92315/92316/92317                                         YES

N700-3000系

•         92351/92352/92353/92354                                          YES

N700-0系

•         92431/92432/92433                                                     YES

N700-1000系(N700A)

•         92486/92487/92488                                                     YES

N700-7000系

•         92821                                                                            YES

N700-8000系

•         92411+92412                                                                YES
  •         92981 R2                                                                      YES
  •         92986 R10 Rainbow Color                                            YES
  •         92925 Kumamon & Kurochan                                       YES

800系

•        ?? Kyushu Kyosk Tsubame U001                                    NO
  •         92935 U005                                                                    NO                    
  •         92279 + 92280                                                               NO

800-0系

•         92836                                                                             YES

800-1000系

•         92837                                                                             YES

edit: If i miss any set feel free to add to the list thx :D

Edited by NuclearErick
  • Like 1

Fantastic information Erick! Wonderful! I've nothing more to add on cause you have way more Sanyo Shinkansens than I do ~~

NuclearErick

ok second part: E Series this is was much easier :D

E1系

Old Color:

• 92059/92060 + 2840M or 2847T + 2843 + 2844 + 2845     NO
  • 92212/92213/92060 + 2840M or 2847T + 2851                  NO

New Color:

• 92273/92274/92275                                                            NO
  • 92834/92835                                                                       YES  
  • 98903/92835                                                                       YES

E2系

Asama:

• 92759                                                                                  NO
  • 92805                                                                                 YES

Hayate:

• 92073/92074/92075                                                            NO
  • 92268/92269/92270                                                            NO    
  • 92360/92361/92362                                                            YES

E3系

Komachi:

• 92725                                                                                  NO
  • 92803                                                                                  NO
  • 93519 (Arigato sticker)                                                        NO

Yamagata:

• 92726                                                                                 NO
  • 92804                                                                                 NO

E4系

• 92764/92767                                                                      NO
  • 92765/92766/92767                                                           NO

E5系

• 98910 Limited Edition                                                          YES
  • 92501/92502YE                                                                   YES

E6系

• 98907 Limited Edition                                                           YES
  • 92489/92490                                                                        YES

E7系

• 98926 Limited Edition                                                            YES
  • 92530/92531/92532                                                              YES

edit: once again if i do miss any set fell free to add to the list please, i didnt post any of the Starter Sets because i dont have any sorry for that

Edited by NuclearErick
  • Like 2

The TOMIX all-wheel pcik up is one of the very few selling points TOMIX has going for me. Frankly, I wish more of the product line included this feature.

• Like 1

Thanks Erick for the valuable list information! That would definitely be useful when selecting used sets to purchase! Also, amazing list of shinkansens you have!  *Salutes*

The TOMIX all-wheel pcik up is one of the very few selling points TOMIX has going for me. Frankly, I wish more of the product line included this feature.

Aside from that, there is also the fact that Tomix is able to use the illumi (by FModels) or Tort (by TamTam) interior lights, which are third party lights and much cheaper than the original Tomix interior lights. Also they are also way much easier to install than Kato, just simply dropping them into the cars, as compared to Kato which requires more steps. I do wish Tomix has more of their products with power coupler too cause it's just way awesome how the train can even move on low speeds through dirty tracks, and the interior lights always stay on.

Though many do address also the issue that the Tomix is harder to DCC than the Kato.

Hi all. I'm a newbie to model railroading, and recently picked up my first Tomix set with the ring and hook style power coupler (N700-7000). Although most folks seem to agree that the power coupler is great for maintaining consistent interior lighting, I've noticed that my Tomix set equipped with the Tomix LED interior lighting flickers quite a bit at low to even low-moderate speeds - which is something that I don't notice with my Kato E7 set equipped with the Kato LED interior lighting. In fact, my Kato set runs surprisingly flicker-free at fairly low speeds. I use Kato track with Kato power packs, but I doubt this would account for the difference. Perhaps it's the very different interior lighting mechanism used by Kato and Tomix, or that the Tomix sets simply require significantly more power causing the light flickering at low speeds. I'm definitely interested in picking up some more sets which are exclusive to Tomix, but was wondering if the low speed flickering is pretty typical, or perhaps atypical, for Tomix power coupled sets. Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I only have one Tomix I recently purchased also.  I failed to see a improvment in a known weak spot in my track layout where the trains slow down 25% due to voltage drop.  Only got one Tomix to comment, so I'll wait until I have another to really make a good assessment.

The Tomix sets are designed for Tomix Constant Lighting controllers. They require a bit higher base voltage and if driven from a linear voltage source or worst an unfiltered linear voltage source (like a Kato pack), they could flicker if driven near the turn on voltage. This flicker could happen even while standing still without a motor car. In Kato trains, this is offset by a higher starting voltage, so the trains usually don't start moving until the lights are up, while Tomix trains need the CL circuit to stay lit, but they could do this even while stationery. I suggest a Tomix CL equipped controller or other similar PWM controllers. (Rokuhan makes a similar CL equipped one, while Maerklin/MiniTrix/Lego are good filtered linears)

The all wheel pickup only helps if your train is longer than the section with the voltage drop and the train could bridge this gap. If the train is shorter, then all of its cars would get the same lower voltage. The same is true if the whole track is very dirty, then the all wheel pickup won't help much either. The all wheel pickup is good if you want to drive over small dead spots, like small unpowered sections, like switch frogs or uneven track joins. Also, i noticed that connecting the cars mechanically not always connects the power feeds completly and you have to adjust them a bit to get a good mechanical and electrical connection through the whole train. You can test this with a piece of isolated track by slowly moving the train into this section, all cars must stay lit and the train should keep moving until the last car enters the unpowered section.

Thanks so much for the explanation. Since it doesn't appear I'll be able to take full advantage of the Tomix power couplers without a CL equipped controller, I'll definitely be looking into a Tomix controller - perhaps the wireless one I saw in the Tomix catalog, which apparently permits the ability to wirelessly control switches as well. I'll likely post a query about the Tomix wireless controllers in a separate thread to see if anyone has any experience with these units, especially since all my switches are Kato and it appears doubtful that the Tomix units would be able to wirelessly control the Kato switches as well.

I brought the N-WL10-CL wireless units up in conversation yesterday or day before in the electrical section.

I am too interested in the compatibility of powering the turnouts using other companies switches.  I wanna use Kato switches on Tomix tram track.

Edited by katoftw

I believe the Tomix wireless unit should be able to control a Kato turnout, and Kato control switches should operate Tomix turnouts. The actual control mechanism (along with the connection socket for the turnout's cable) is in the fixed base unit to which the wireless unit transmits.

Both the Tomix and Kato turnout control boxes simply have a moving, bare stiff wire inside that flicks past a fixed bare wire, making momentary contact. They are simple, and one is about the same as the other. You would have to cobble together "Frankenstein" cables from turnout to control, with one manufacturer's connector at one end, and the other's at the other end. The wireless unit probably has a relay or equivalent solid state momentary on/off logic instead of a moving bare wire.

Rich K.