JR Shikoku KIRO47 Iyo-nada Monogatari

Overshadowed no doubt by the news about JR East's new E235 series, here's JR Shikoku's new cruise train, the Iyo-nada Monogatari.  Based on a two-car KIHA47 set, these have been redesignated KIRO, RO indicating Green Car, as far as I know.  They're still numbered as 47s, 1400 subseries.  Service will start July 26th.  The livery is tasteful, I think, and I really like the interior and bentos :).

http://railf.jp/news/2014/07/02/170000.html

• Like 4

I like it! The livery is nice, two tone colours are always tasteful to the eyes (when done in a right way), like the Ibusuki-No-Tamatebako.

N scale Model please?

It's nice. Kyushu have had success with their old 140s and 47s, so dont see why other companies cannot have the same success.

Given how successful JR Kyushu modified a number of old KiHa 40/47 DMU's into excursion trainsets, I'm actually a little surprised that JR Shikoku didn't didn't do this earlier.

It is very nice! Interior has a sort of classy 60s feel to it. I like the color choices, some care went in them and there is a bit of pearlesence in the paint job that also gives it a subtle pop and class to make it stand out as more of a special train.

A model of this one would be very nice!

Jeff

• Like 1

I like the striping in the livery. and in general i just like the prototypes body shape and design.

I might try ride on it next year.

Well, Microace did the Setouchi Marine View http://www.microace-arii.co.jp/products/img/A6070_p.jpg

:grin

Yes indeed, but having missed it on pre-order it's very hard and expensive to get it now.... The thing about these special 2-car sets from MA is they always seem to disappear very fast and get inflated prices quickly, like the Ibusuki-No-Tamatebako, the former Isaburo-Shinpei, Setouchi Marine View, etc.

So lesson learnt not going to miss these nice 2-car sets now, like the awaiting 'Misuzu-Shiosai' on pre-order..  :)

• Like 1

Shame I missed it by a couple of months. Only saw a head of one poking out of the shop and a ton of posters all over the JR-S stations touting its impending arrival.

like the Ibusuki-No-Tamatebako, the former Isaburo-Shinpei,

Got the Ibusuki-No-Tamebako from hobby search last Feburary for 9,270 yen ($90USD).

Still waiting on my 3 car Isaburo-Shinpei pre order though...

But you are right about the pre orders. Either pre order a train you want, or wait a minimum for 3 years to get it again. OR pay 2-3X it's original value.

Edited by katoftw