Modemo spares?

Ken Ford

Nick_Burman

Ken,

Modemo does not offer spare parts. If you need service you are expected to return the car to Modemo for repairs.

Cheers NB

I was afraid of that. It looks like I may need to scrounge broken trams for parts.

I'd like to replace the traction tire equipped wheels with plain ones.

Nick_Burman

I was afraid of that. It looks like I may need to scrounge broken trams for parts.

I'd like to replace the traction tire equipped wheels with plain ones.

NWSL?

Cheers NB

I didn't see anything close. The wheels on the geared axles are an unusual size. The other option would be for me to fire up the Unimat and modify trailer wheels which doesn't sound like much fun at all.

Nick_Burman

I didn't see anything close. The wheels on the geared axles are an unusual size. The other option would be for me to fire up the Unimat and modify trailer wheels which doesn't sound like much fun at all.

Excuse me, but...why bother? My MODEMO cars work like clockwork with their tyres. They never stalled...

Cheers NB

Interesting - four more Modemo trams arrived yesterday from ModelTrainPlus. My first one (with the wobble) was from an HK dealer on eBay and has a few minor problems - I'm beginning to think it may have been a return despite being sold as new. The new four trams from Nariichi-san run much better and are obviously brand new.

I think I'll toss a set of the Kato replacement wheels onto my next order from Nariichi-san and see if they can be modified. I've also contacted the official Hasegawa importer here to see if they can help with spare parts - they don't import the Modemo range but it's worth a try.

Edited by Ken Ford

Ken,

Even in Japan modemo does not sell spare parts, you have to have your hobby shop return the item to modemo for repair.

Btw the one repair I did have from a melted power truck due to a short from a derail on a point that was not discovered for a little bit (not modemo's fault at all) they repaired for like $10.

Jeff

I doubt Modemo repair would be very helpful in this case since I'm trying to modify one of their products. It's not critical, just a nice to have.

I very recently purchased the Modemo Keifuku Electric Railway Type Mobo101 `Randen Pat Train`.  It cannot have more than two hours runtime max.  Today, after extensive reworking of the layout, I went to test the track and the Modemo kept stalling big time.  I looked carefully at the wheels and there appears to be "gunk" on most of the wheels.

My questions are:

1.  Did ALL the wheels have traction tires at one time or the just motorized/geared truck?

2.  Why are there traction tires?  In order to make sure it wasn't the track, I ran my trusty switcher locomotive which runs very well.

3.  Can I remove the traction tires?  There appears to only be two fully intact tires.

4.  What does anyone suggest using to remove the "gunk"?  I've got track cleaner.  :-)

Thanks for any and all help!

The Next Station Is...

I've just cleaned one of my locomotives which appeared to have transferred a lot of 'gunk' from the traction tires to the other wheels. I cleaned the gunk on the wheels using acetone, although this will melt plastic so use it very carefully! You can use other substances such as denatured alcohol for cleaning as well.

>1. Did ALL the wheels have traction tires at one time or the just motorized/geared truck?

Only 1 or 2 traction tires per bogie and only on powered bogies. They are very bad at picking up electricity, so too many tires would mean no pickup at all.

> 2. Why are there traction tires? In order to make sure it wasn't the track, I ran my trusty switcher locomotive which runs very well.

So a lighter unit could pull more or climb steeper slopes. Modemo units usually have 1 or 2 on the whole unit.

> 3. Can I remove the traction tires? There appears to only be two fully intact tires.

A traction tire is different from the normal ones, mainly by having an identation cut into the wheels, so the rubber bands don't lift up the bogies.

> 4. What does anyone suggest using to remove the "gunk"? I've got track cleaner. :-)

A sharp toothpick and two bare wires with track power that could be touched to the wheel flanges to make them turn. Just be very careful around the real traction tires, since you can easily damage them.

From what you write, your tram has dirt on the wheels, not rubber bands. If you are in doubt, then check for the identation on the wheel surface. If the wheel has one and a rubber band in it, then it's a traction tire. Otherwise it's just dirt. Also, you might want to clean the pickups too, since a really dirty wheel usually means dirty pickups.

I just pulled out my Mobo101 to be sure: there are traction tires on both wheels of one powered axle only.  The rest is as kvp stated above.

yeah the 2 car sets would have issues running with out traction. Even some of the single cars. They are just so light.

Kinda like the tomix thomas trying to pull regular passenger coaches up a small hill slip slip slip.

Not that you see it often in japan or on a tram layout in general but they boast sometimes 8% grades.

Never seen a Japanese layout having tram track go on grades like that anyway.

If some one has seen one happy to watch the video always wondered what these little units look like and run like on hills.

I checked my modemo`s I own and all have 2 rubbers on the motorized side except 1.

Edited by keitaro
  • Like 1

I checked my modemo`s I own and all have 2 rubbers on the motorized side except 1.

Two wheels on one axle, or two axles? Both my Mobo 101 and Mobo 621s have two wheels on one axle with tires. I'd love to find replacement wheels without tires.

Just bumping an old topic on a question that comes up now and then. Has anyone had any luck recently contacting modemo about spares? Just thought I would check as the question came up over on the n scale groups.io list.

jeff

I've never needed to or tried, but I don't see many Modemo releases these days, in fact since Kato released the Portram.  Modemo needs a wider radius (R140) than Tomytec or Kato, usually lacks head and tail lights.  Since Enoden and Keifuku have not changed their equipment line up for years they have nothing new to offer.