Derailment on Odakyu

bikkuri bahn

bikkuri bahn

This evening at approx 18:10, an out of service (no passengers aboard) train leaving the rolling stock depot in the vicinity of Sagami Oono Station derailed, causing a widespread power failure, affecting trains on the Odakyu Main Line.  The train was a 6 car consist, among which the third, fourth and fifth cars derailed.  A number of other trains were no longer able to move on the mainline, forcing passengers to disembark and walk along tracks to the nearest grade crossing or train station.  Apparently full operations will be restored by 23:00.

Edited by bikkuri bahn
bikkuri bahn

According to a news report now, six trains on the line were stopped, affecting approx. 4000 passengers.  The derailment occurred on a switch, but Odakyu still is determining why it occurred.

The sky was full of helicopters last evening very noisy (yes, Sagamiōno is our home station). I was thinking about jumping on the bicycle and take some pictures at the station, but then decided to stay home with the family. 't Was probably the right choice. There are actually a few good places there to snap some pictures of the trains rolling by.

Edited by Toni Babelony

What tipped me off when I got outside of Shinjuku Station around 7:00 was the presence of TV cameramen. But there weren't a lot of passengers waiting outside of the ticket gates. At 7:30 there were no trains listed as running. By 8:30, there were only two trains listed as running, an express and a  local, and by 10:00 about four trains were listed as running. The local that I took wasn't so crowded until Yoyogi-Uehara station. 

Best wishes,

Grant