kiha 58 to be released by Tenshodo, re-issue for Kato

bikkuri bahn

bikkuri bahn

For fans of JNR era express dmus (count me as one), Tenshodo is releasing a new production of kiha 58 railcars (and associated types), fitted with quantum sound.  Release this summer, prices TBD.

http://www.tenshodo.co.jp/models/product/release/kiha58_p/tabid/879/Default.aspx

Also, Kato is doing a reissue of their kiha 58 series, I'll certainly pick up a couple, especially the kiro 28, I don't have that one yet. (also this summer)

http://www.katomodels.com/ho/kiha28_58/

quantum sound on a Tenshodo kiha 52:

*I like the idling sound, not so crazy about the sound when running though, too tractorlike, not the sound of the dmh17h under load.

Edited by bikkuri bahn
  • Like 2

Bugger! I just got a couple of the Kato kiha 28/58s secondhand from Jauce.com, and they're in very good condition. I don't think they've ever been run. But I could still be tempted by the Tenshodo models. Like you bb, I'm a fan of the JNR era DMUs. 

Incidentally, the kiha 65s appear to differ in almost every detail from the 28/58 series cars. What where they intended for?

All the best,

Mark.

Edited by marknewton
  • Like 1
bikkuri bahn

Mark, the kiha 65 was a later model, with a more powerful engine (a 500hp flat twelve with intercooled turbos, displacing 30 liters) to replace the underpowered dmh17 used on the kiha 58 and others.  They were designed to mu with the existing kiha 58, working on the more demanding routes with grades, while having airconditioning (which you know saps alot of power).  That engine, the DML30, was pretty impressive, and one of my favorites- riding a kiha 181, you could feel the power underneath the floor, as the railcar accelerated from a station stop, at seemingly near-emu speed, coupled with a refined roar- good times...

• Like 2

Thanks bb, I knew you'd have some answers. I think I'll be getting at least a pair of 65s when they are re-released, I think they're very attractive units. At this rate I'll have a good selection of JNR DMUs to play with.

I envy you having experienced the 181s. They're another DMU I rather fancy.

All the best,

Mark.

Bikkuri, interesting, I didn't know the background on the KIHA65, or that it had the same family of engine as the KIHA181.  I remember seeing 181s depart Okayama on Super Inaba services, they certainly did move out, and make a lot of smoke in the process.  I seem to remember KIHA187s having strong-looking acceleration, also.  I wonder where KIHA181-22 is now... :(

post-286-0-95791800-1403141336_thumb.jpeg

post-286-0-55818900-1403141346_thumb.jpeg