Sign in to follow this  
bikkuri bahn

BR Class 800 IEP interiors TV report

Mr Frosty

More seats = less comfort.

I think trains in the 70s & 80s were far more comfortable with their deeply padded seats and opening window's.

• Like 1

E6系

The seats look so  uncomfortable.  They remind me of my dentist's chair ... I hate my dentist !

miyakoji

They do look somewhat like a dentist's chair.  But looks can be deceiving, maybe they'll be comfortable and have no relation to dental problems :grin

bikkuri bahn

Hopefully the seats will be more like Narita Express and less like Keisei Skyliner.

E6系

Perhaps they should offer an on-board dental service ... ;)

• Like 1

dabsan

Shame they didn't go for a more interesting design shape such as the E5 or E6. Also a more interesting paint scheme would have been nice, minus the compulsory yellow front end. But I think they will be a vast improvement for the UK's aging rail system.

Densha

I don't think the maximum speed of these will be much higher than 250 km/h so I think that's not necessary. That's the reason the E7's don't have such long noses either.

I think the paint scheme is only an example, my guess is they will all be painted/stickered in the colours of the franchise operators.

• Like 1

Ochanomizu

Shame they didn't go for a more interesting design shape such as the E5 or E6. Also a more interesting paint scheme would have been nice, minus the compulsory yellow front end. But I think they will be a vast improvement for the UK's aging rail system.

Hello Mr dabsan,

The shape of the E5 and E6 is designed to help reduce the noise created when entering tunnels at speeds over 300km/h.  This comes at a significant cost to seating capacity.  I believe that BR Class 800 will not be travelling at such a speed and would therefore not benefit from such a design.

• Like 1

dabsan

Hi Densha and Ochanomizu, thanks for the interesting details, it all makes perfect sense now!

Yes I hope to see some colourful designs from the franchise operators.

;)