Coupler question

dottney

I need to pick up a pair of kato 10-704 or 721 type A couplers (I think those are the ones). I've found them on ebay from plazajapan but was wondering if there's a US vendor who might carry them. I figure a domestic vendor might get them to me quicker.

Thanks for any help guys.

Dave

dave,

modeltrainplus carries them cheap to ship 200 yen sal 2 week. i think his epacket is airmail probably under a week at 700 yen.

not seen those types sold here in the us.

jeff

nscalestation

I'm in a similar situation with a broken coupler on the power car for a Kato N700 set.  Wish Kato USA in Chicago would offer parts for the Japanese prototypes.  Kato seems to use several different coupler types on their sets and some are rather fragile.  Last time I had a broken coupler it was on my 283 set, also on the power car.  This is a tilting train and part of how that is done is in the coupler so it's a bit special.   I ended up taking the unit with me on a trip to Tokyo as I figured showing what I needed would be easier than trying to explain.  When I showed them at the Kato Hobby Center they were great about it and actually replaced the coupler right there, and did not charge me for it.  It did take a few minutes for me to explain I also wanted to purchase a couple of spare coupler sets.

Kato USA usually does take part orders if you fax in the instruction sheer with the part circled you want. It can take months to get and the last part i got in late 2013 took 2.5 months and was like $8 shipping for a small padded envelope from Chicago! Others have been told over the phone from them they won't do non kato USA parts, but I have not had that experience. Check some of the shops like modeltrainplus and loco1hobby as they can sometimes order parts for you.

Jeff

nscalestation

Thanks for the suggestion Jeff.  I called Kato USA last week and they had me send them a copy of the parts list with the parts circled just as you had.  I did this by scanning it and attaching it to an E-mail to parts@katousa.com.  Yesterday I got an E-mail from them confirming my parts order and with an estimated arrival date in late July.  

I still think they should keep a small stock of at least the couplers for the Japanese prototype trains that they are distributing in the US that you could order on line.

Good to hear they are still taking parts orders.

Yeah you would think the couplers would be in stock for the trains they brought over.

Always seems an odd relationship between kato Japan and Katousa.

Jeff