Tomytec moving bus

Pauljag900

Pauljag900

Hi guys,does anyone have the tomytec bus system on their layout? If so how long does the bus run for on a set of batteries?i ve just recieved two sets and they run for about 5 minutes!!!

Can anyone confirm this is right? Or am I doing something wrong? Any info would be gratefully recieved.

• Like 1

Hi,

I have, not in a layout but I can tell you the bus runs for more time... may be you use low quality batteries or old batteries...

JNRModelsNick

Ah small world! Hi Paul, this is Nick from JNR models. I just so happen to be on this forum as well ;)

5 Minutes is indeed much too short a life span for this system. All I can tell you is plenty of people run these buses at shows and don't need to change them over nearly as often. For example I was just at the Shizuoka show in Japan and saw several micro layouts at the Tomix booth running buses. There was no one even remotely near them watching them making sure they were running ok, and the buses just trundled around happily for ages. I know you've mentioned you got store bought batteries, but all I can suggest is that they might not be so great. Perhaps some longer lasting alkaline batteries are in order.

In any case thank you for flagging up the issue, I will be sure to watch out for it in any of the mechanisms we sell in Australia.

• Like 1

I have the sets, not on my layout, but I used it a lot. I think a bus can run for hours without replacing the batteries. I think if you replace the old ones to new, you will experience longer running. If it will run only 5 minutes again, than it is some technical error in the bus.

Pauljag900

Thanks to you all for your replies,and yes nick a small world it certainly is! Ha ha,the batteries I bought were Duracell,allegedly the best and long life,I bought them from eBay but when I realised there may be an issue I went to the local supermarket and bought one pack from there for £4,approx 6usd,but they were the same,so I contacted a few of you guys and did a bit of thinking(not easy at my age)I came to the conclusion that as I d bought two different sets,a2 and b3, I'd be really unlucky to get two faulty chassis as the two chassis are different. Last night I went to the local pound store and purchased some really cheap batteries,I bought 8 for less than 2usd!came home fitted them and ran them for two and a half hrs continuously!after they d stopped I left them for 30 minutes and they ran again for about another forty five minutes! Seems I ve either been really unlucky or the buses just do nt like Duracell batteries for some reason.Any way it looks like problem solved.

Many thanks to you all for your help and advice.i m now off to buy some more batteries other than Duracell!

I should have mention that I use also some extra cheap batteries for the bus system. I found the Duracell ones too expensive, so searched for cheaper solution and those are working perfectly, so for me no need to use the expensive batteries.

Pauljag900

Thanks ist,that certInly seems the case here aswell,i bought twenty yesterday fo approx1.5usd and they ve both run for 4hrs!! I ve just ordered 60 from amazon fr 7usd so thats wot i ll be using from now on,obviously the diracell ones were not really duracell,at least thats wot i m guessing anyway!

Help! I ve lost a tyre from one of my buses,does anyone know where I can get some spares please? I ve tried plazzajapan and they do nt have them,regards,paul

Help! I ve lost a tyre from one of my buses,does anyone know where I can get some spares please? I ve tried plazzajapan and they do nt have them,regards,paul

Please be aware of which bus is missing the tyres, as the 6.6mm and 7mm tyres are different and if you wouldn't fit into the tyres if they're wrong, or they wind up getting rubbed against the wheel arch of the bus and it doesn't move.

HI Guys

I have to build a japanese module for my club layout and I wanted to include a small bus lane

I prefer to build it by myself using guitar string and using some magnet for stops accelerate, decelerate functions

Currently I don't have any bus kit so I need your help, can you kindly post me some photo and dimension of the magnets and explain in brief what they are used for

so I can replicate their use?

I plan to buy some magnet online

Thanks for your help

Melandir,

There is another moving bus thread somewhere here where I think ken gives a bunch of info in the road and magnets. I haven't played yet with my tomy bus yet and have to get some road to figure out the same things eventually.

Search around on tomytec bus magnet

Cheers,

Jeff

welshdodger

Hi Guys

I have just invested in tomytec figure of 8

2 bus units plus 4 way crossover

I two have problems with duracell batteries L44  bought from amazon don't last

I will try other makes

i might a try at some point see to find a way of replacing the L44 for a better 3volt system

thanks for the info Guys

welshdodger

• Like 1

https://youtu.be/lpYaryP0ikg

This layout is how did you make?

안녕하세요!

Hello and welcome to the forums!

For that layout, it is made using the layout A or the basic set, and plastic were placed under the road tracks to elevate the track. Please be careful of the gradient as if it is too steep the bus will have problem climbing up the slope...

Have fun!

They're out of understand me. in detail

In pictures will be easier to understand:

10130252a2.jpg 

In a nutshell, road pieces are snapped together as shown. With some elevation is possible like in the video. Then place batteries into the chassis and press the button on the bottom of the chassis. Place the bus on the track and it will start moving, following the track due to a magnet below on the bus chassis and a metal strip below the road plate.

How about a video for an even easier understanding here:

Edited by JR 500系
  • Like 1

Hi,sorry I m a bit late joining in here,did nt realise there was anything to see.The you tube layout looks like a basic set with a few extra curves and straights added in.If you got a basic set you would quite easily be able to work out what extra pieces you need.

The magnets are positioned just before and just after the bus stop and there is a magnet on the steering axle of the bus,I do nt know for sure but I m guessing the circuit board inside the bus is activated by the two magnets which causes it to slow and stop for 7 seconds,when it pulls out it passes over the second magnet and speeds up again,may sound a bit confusing but it's really quite simple.

This was the one I made a while ago,no inclines tho,just a boring oval,hope this helps

• Like 5

Nice layout!! I like that acrylic cover you made!  :)

Look at the Chicken Ramen Tram fly!

Japan is always looking for faster, safer and on time, so they made some adjustments to a city tram. That was the first proto-type.  :P

It's not a turbo, just the old high voltage controller managed to weld itself shut in full parallel...  :)  Actually this was a real possibility if the traction overcurrent circuit breaker was faulty or got bridged. Considering the traction system in the old Hiroshima tram the model was inspired by, it's prototypical.