Japan travel tips

Actually heavier items like books/ catalogues or large box sets like starter sets which you can then dismantle and split them up yourself  will be good since you're carrying yourself so shipping can be saved a fairly large bit. I for one is hoping for the Tomix E259 Marine Odoriko, since it's only available in a starter set....

The excitement is truly brewing, eh?   :)  

I was actually thinking about this the other day.  Alot of the items that can only be shipped using EMS.  Was thinking about only getting those while in Japan.  Nappies and baby formula tins are going into Japan, but by the end of the trip, they will not exsist, and there will be free weight/space in the suitcases.

I also errored on the airline booking and have a extra bag and 15kg on the return trip.  This error might just work in my favour.

And yes excitement is brewing.  First thing the wife said this moring was "14 days to go!"

Edited by katoftw

I am SO excited on the 2nd picture! SL Hitoyoshi ticket in hand! SSSWWWEEEEEEEEETTTTT!!!!

Don't forget the pictures/ videos!!  :)

I think the e233 chuo is the hardest to find, it's been sold out everywhere and there never seems to be a restock. I think I will hunt for that one in the spring when I'm back. Will probably be the only train purchase for me on the trip.

Actually, there's still one readily available at one of our favourite online stores: http://www.loco1hobby.net/en/emu-city-commuting/61-tomix-92392.html

I could swear I would dive in to grab it if it wasn't for the fact my budgets wiped out for commuter trains.....   X_X

Yodobashi Camera seems to have a pretty full range of E231/E233s from various lines available. I shouldn't think finding something would be a particular problem.

(Too modern for me, so I won't be buying any... though I kind of want the Suica E231 Yamanote train)

Actually, there's still one readily available at one of our favourite online stores: http://www.loco1hobby.net/en/emu-city-commuting/61-tomix-92392.html

I could swear I would dive in to grab it if it wasn't for the fact my budgets wiped out for commuter trains.....   X_X

Haha!

Apologizes, I thought you were referring to E233 Keiyo line, but actually you meant E233 Chuo line... Silly me ~

Anyhow, there IS an available set from yet another one of our favourite online stores: http://www.modeltrainplus.net/collections/n-scale-kato-new/products/kato-10-801-series-e233-chuo-line-3-car-basic-set

together with its add-on set!

http://www.modeltrainplus.net/collections/n-scale-kato-new/products/kato-10-803-series-e233-chuo-line-4-car-add-on-set-b

Yodobashi Camera seems to have a pretty full range of E231/E233s from various lines available. I shouldn't think finding something would be a particular problem.

(Too modern for me, so I won't be buying any... though I kind of want the Suica E231 Yamanote train)

Well, there's a Suica Yamanote Train available here: http://www.modeltrainplus.net/collections/n-scale-kato-new/products/kato-e231-500-yamanote-line-suica-10th-anniversary-penguin-train

And at a special price! But there will be a problem finding the add-on though..

Well, there's a Suica Yamanote Train available here: http://www.modeltrainplus.net/collections/n-scale-kato-new/products/kato-e231-500-yamanote-line-suica-10th-anniversary-penguin-train

And at a special price! But there will be a problem finding the add-on though..

The price is in the same ballpark as the shops here in Tokyo. I could very probably find a used one in good condition from Hobbyland Pochi or similar for a bit less. But it's not very high on my list at the moment.

Anway, finding add-ons is a problem I don't have the luxury of having ;) Four-car sets suit me fine. (If I feel the need to see a Yamanote Line train in all its 11 car glory I can do pretty much any time I want :) ).

They way the wife spends money, then yes.

I'll ask the wife what part share of it I'll get.  I'd assume if I'm lucky I'll get one of the 1000JPY notes.

I probably wont spend much on trains themselves.  Maybe one to say, "Hey I got this in Japan."  But then once they are in front of you, then impulse will take over.

But am looking for more layout/scenery stuff.  Hopefully lots of little things like sakuri tress, bells, temples, station surrounds etc.

Edited by katoftw

Number 19 (Vonfong?) will have passed through by the time katoftw arrives, so no problems there. There aren't any others developing at this time.

Typhoons only bring bad weather for a day or two. In between it's nice weather and sunshine. 18 was bad and 19 is said to be worse. For me, they're like autumn storms back home. Just don't go out and stay away from slopes and rivers. Typhoons are a good excuse to stock up on food and booze though xD

During several of my trips there has been a typhoon strke Japan while I was there but I have been in another area and got no more than a bit of heavy rain.

Bear in mind that typhoons generally come in from the west, so Okinawa, Kyushu, Chugoku and Shikoku usually get the worst; they don't usually pass over Tohoku, Hokkaido and the Japan Sea coast. If travelling, it's likely that trains won't be running while the typhoon goes through, so you'll need to adjust plans accordingly. And prepare for lots of rain even if not in the path.

Another thing to bear in mind is that the English-language media loves to overdramatize along the lines of (read in deep stenorian voice) "BREAKING NEWS - MEGASTORM RONGWON, THE WORST TYPHOON SINCE THE LAST WORST TYPHOON IS POISED TO BATTER THE COAST OF JAPAN, BRINGING WAVES WHICH COULD REACH 100 FEET AND WINDS OF 1000MPH AND DEATH TO MILLIONS AND TRILLIONS OF DOLLARS OF DEVASTATION IF THE ABSOLUTE FREAKY WORST HAPPENS AND GODZILLA ARISES FROM HIS LAIR, STAY TOONED FOR OUR UP-TO-THE-MINUTE ARMAGEDDON UPDATES FROM OUR TYPHOON TEAM". Whereas Japanese TV is "here's a guy in a raincoat getting wet, stay clear of coasts and rivers, and keep watch out for evacuation alerts, now for some pictures of people waiting forlornly at stations and airports".

• Like 1

Oh man! Green with Envy!

It's nice to see how the trip started from planning to the actual day! Could see both your kids and you were having great fun at the Kato Shop!

Arrived Narita 6:30pm 17/10/14.  Customs and immigration were a breeze.  Immigration shuffled us through the express/staff checkpoints.  And custom after we said we only had baby food. Just waved us through and didn't even open our bags.

Went do to the station and into the service office.  Railpass sorted with ease.  Reserved seats on the 8:47 N'EX to Shinjuku.  Once arriving at Tokyo, the front 6 cars went on to Ofuni.  The back 6 went to Takao.

Arrived 10:10 at Shinjuku.  Distract was in full party mode being Friday night.  Walked to hotel and got to bed at 11:00.

• Like 1

18/10/14

Somehow awoke stupidly early considering the late night and long travel day before.  Decided to walk around Shinjuku and explore.  Place look liked like a bombsite are Friday night.  Not your usual clean Japan.

Check out a Temple and just familiarised ourselves with the area.  Took the Oedo line up to Ochiai miniami Nagasaki and got a snack from the Family Mart at the South Exit.  Walked to the Cat statue and had a look.  And then onto the Kato Shop.  Arrived 20-30 minutes before open so ate the snacks.

Met a local while waiting for the shop to open.  Asked us if we were American.  Was surprized and excited we were from "Australiee."  Also excited I modelled N scale and Japanese trains.

Some event must have been on that day later as they were setting up the 2nd floor for something.  We were only there for about an hour.  Brought a 3 car basic N'EX as it was the first train we rode while in Japan.  Actually the wife's idea.  I wasn't gonna buy any trains unless something special.  But the N'EX was on the list of wants but right near the bottom.  Also brought catenary bases and poles.

Rode the Oedo line to Akabanebashi and went to Tokyo Tower.  Then onto Shiodome to get onto the Yukimine.  Very busy being a Saturday.  Over at Odaiba the was a drift comp up the back in the unused areas.  And a volleyball comp on the beach.

then back to Shinjuku to chill out.  Too much on our first day.

• Like 2

19/10/14

Chucked 2 days worth of laundry into a machine and went off to breakfast.  Returned to hotel later.  The off to Shinjuku station to reserve seat for Tokyo to Kyoto and Kyoto to Hakata leg of the journey.

Then on the Yamanote line to Ikebukuro to SunCity.  Went to Babies R Us for nappies and baby food.  Then again on the Yamanote again to Tokyo station where we went to the Plarail shop and purchased a EF210 set and a N'EX set for the 3 and 5yo.  The brought some bento boxes and went up to the Shinkansen platforms to watch trains go by, and have late lunch.

The Yamanote again to Harajuku.  Looked at Cosplay which wasn't all that interesting.  Even wife was underwhelmed.  Had a walk up and down Harajuku St.  Very tourist and almost had a Sunday market feel.

Then back to the hotel for a 60-90 minute rest break.  Then took the Sobu line to Akihabara and explored.  Brought a Tomix Family Mart store, a Greenmax crew platforms and both 1+2 of tomix curved mini tracks books.  Has dinner at Mos Burger and returned back to Shinjuku the sam way we came.

• Like 1