Japan travel tips

Oh yes, not sure if you already know this, but the Supermarkets tend to place their foods, especially the sushi, on heavy discounts AFTER 8pm. At around 750pm, one can see crowds of people around the sushi sales area awaiting the staff to roll out heavily discounted sushi trays (some as much as 70% off) to be placed on the shelves, and once the trays touch the shelves they're in someone' hands.

I had Fun 'snatching' with them!   :)

Not looking to start a flamewar, but Japanese bakeries could add a some whole grain items to their repertoire. Otherwise, I agree.

Hello miyakoji-san,

After scientists devoted their lives to developing white flour?  I think not !!! :D

• Like 1

I did lotteria, mos burger and mcd for the proof.

If there were a mos burger near me in canada, I think I would die that much faster.

I think I gained weight while I was in japan lol. the food is so good. If I ever win the lottery I'd go to japan for a weekend just to binge eat.

• Like 1

SL Hitoyoshi booked and confirmed for Oct 25.  Very happy.

Great news! That also confirms that the tickets can be booked one month in advance. Very nice!  :)

Great news! That also confirms that the tickets can be booked one month in advance. Very nice!  :)

Yes but you have to be quick.  The seats for Oct 24th were sold out by mid afternoon Sep 24th.

Someone mentioned a model train/hobby shop in Shinjuku west a little of the South Exit.  Somewhere around 14/15/16 chrome?

edit// found it - Nishi-Shinjuku, Shinjuku, Tokyo 1-15-6 NASA Building 3F

Edited by katoftw

Yup hobblyland-pochi was the one I was thinking of.  But didn't know that Popondetta was there also.  So thank you, it is added to the list.  And Yodobashi Camera was already on the list.

Staying at the Washington so hobbyland is between hotel and the station.  Easy assess.

Is the Popendetta shop in the Sompo weird curved building?  Or is google maps leading me astray?

Popondetta is in the Keio department store, 7th floor at the back.

As I pass through Shinjuku a lot, Pochi, Popondetta and Yodobashi are now my "regular" stores. I checked earlier to see if the two big Labi/Yamada Denki stores in Shinjuku have model railway supplies (the one in Ikebukuro does), but evidently not.

Edited by railsquid

Yes, I don't trust Google at all for locations. In Japan at least, Yahoo maps is way more reliable.

Googling speculatively, I found a couple of other potentially interesting places:

- Karamatsu Trains (west exit, behind Yodobashi towards the skyscraper district)

- Tavasa (in Okubu/Shin Okubu)

And a bar (east exit).

I haven't checked these out but will be sure to do so in the next few days.

• Like 1

Tokyu Hands? That's in the Takashimaya building on the south side.

The Karamatsu store is here (third floor, Google street view). Taking another look at the website, it seems to be quite memorobilia-orientated.

flights - paid
railpasses - paid, arrived
passports - paid, arrived
kyoto hotel - booked, paid
toyko hotel - booked, to pay on arrival
hakata hotel - booked, to pay on arrival
airport parking - booked, to pay on arrival
travel insurance - paid
travel card - 50,001JPY loaded

travel money - 50,000JPY ordered

sl hitoyoshi tickets - paid, awaiting arrival :)

17 days to go. :)

Now is definitely a good time to be visiting Japan - the Yen just hit something like a 10 year low against the dollar.  Your purchasing power will be about 30% higher today than it was just 2 years ago.

Not so good news for those of us getting paid in Yen, but definitely good for travellers! :)

Pics will come regularly.

Do I have a shopping list ready?

TomyTec 228714 Kumamoto City Tram

Mirco Ace A7890 Yufuin No Mori

Mirco Ace A8262 Aso Boy

Mirco Ace Keisei Skyliner

Tomix 92821 N700-7000 Sanyo/Kyushu Shinkansen

Tomix 92925 N700-7000 Sanyo/Kyushu Shinkansen (Kumamon/Kurochan)

Tomix 92836 800 Kyushu Shinkansen

Kato 10-590 787 series

Kato E259 basic + add on

Some form of Kato E231 Yamantoe line train set

Some form of Kato E231 Shonan/Shinjuku line set

Some form of Kato E233 Yamantoe line train set

Some form of Kato E233 Shonan/Shinjuku line set

Any Keifuku Randen Railway tram I can get my hands on

Edited by katoftw

Oh ho! Tasty list~~

Sorry but a E233 Yamanote? Not sure if I see this before...

Try searching for a E233 Keiyo line or even better a 209 Keiyo line. The 209 is really rare now and the E233 is quickly becoming rare, if you're searching for nice commuter trains by JR East. They're about the same yes, but the red lines just seems kinda more attractive to me...  

Actually heavier items like books/ catalogues or large box sets like starter sets which you can then dismantle and split them up yourself  will be good since you're carrying yourself so shipping can be saved a fairly large bit. I for one is hoping for the Tomix E259 Marine Odoriko, since it's only available in a starter set....

The excitement is truly brewing, eh?   :)  

lurkingknight

I think the e233 chuo is the hardest to find, it's been sold out everywhere and there never seems to be a restock. I think I will hunt for that one in the spring when I'm back. Will probably be the only train purchase for me on the trip.