What countries are we from?

alpineaustralia

alpineaustralia

Out of curiousity, what cities, countries are we from?

I'll start us off:

I am from Sydney Australia

CaptOblivious

Currently, St Louis, United States. As soon as I graduate, who knows?

I'm of Cajun heritage, and was born in Baton Rouge; I've lived up and down the Mississippi River, but spent most of my time growing up in northern Mississippi (the state, not the river).

Martijn Meerts

I live in Oslo, Norway at the moment.

Was born and raised in Venlo, The Netherlands (and will likely move back there later this year.)

Venlo is known for 2 things, both of them related to it neighboring to Germany. The first one is the drugs tourists. With soft drugs being legal in The Netherlands, a lot of Germans visit the coffee shops ;)

The second one is a lot more fun though. Venlo actually has a rather large freight yard. Reason for this is that practically all freight transport to and from Germany went through Venlo, and large parts still do. I used to sit on the train station all day long when I was a kid, looking at all the trains =)

bikkuri bahn

Currently live in Sapporo, Japan.  Nearest subway line is the Sapporo Transportation Bureau's Toho Line. Nearest railway is the JR Hokkaido Hakodate Main Line.

Originally from the Los Angeles, CA area.

Claude_Dreyfus

I'm from a small town called Pulborough in the south of England. Milepost 50 from London is on my local station platform, but despite the close proximity to the city I am in the middle of the countryside. And as of 2010/11 my town will be right on the border of the UKs newest national park.

A born and bred Sussex man.... ;D

Darren Jeffries

Wow we really are international... well this was always going to be, it started off an anglo-american setup with Bernard and I starting the forum.

I was born and raised in London but now live in the cotswolds in a medium sized town called Cirencester. The nearest City is 18 miles and that is Gloucester.

Fenway Park

Born in Croydon Surrey and have lived on the England Wales border for the past 21 years overlooking the Wye Valley.

Boy do I love this thread! I glad you started it Alpine.

I'm from Glen Cove, New York, USA... work in NYC, but also grew up in Rutland, Vermont.

Well born and spent 1/3 of my life in Hong Kong, Hong Kong (now China), grew up and working in Toronto, Canada.

People usually find the first third of my life more interesting!

Also, it is more fun to ask people to guess where I am from on my annual month long trip.

Leo - Can you also speak fluent Chinese? I never developed an ear for languages and I am so envious of people who can speak in multiple languages.

California boy transplanted to Washington DC about 7yrs back. British isle, french, and german mutt with a splash of american indian (the amount depends on which relative you talk to in texas).

cheers,

jeff

Boy do I love this thread! I glad you started it Alpine.

I'm from Glen Cove, New York, USA... work in NYC, but also grew up in Rutland, Vermont.

Get the hell out of here. My mother was born in Glen Cove, out on the Island.

Leo - Can you also speak fluent Chinese? I never developed an ear for languages and I am so envious of people who can speak in multiple languages.

I speak Cantonese but write Chinese.  Unlike English, you cannot really write Cantonese down.

Hey Bernard, I also find ppl who speaks multiple languages to be an interesting bunch.  I think I am attracted to their desires to explore and learn from different cultures.

quinntopia

Let's have some left coast love here....Snohomish Wash., about 30 minutes north of Seattle, Washington, 90 minutes South of Canada.

SubwayHypes

^ Also from the left side, SAN FRANCISCO NATIVE.....now currently living in oakland.  I have lived alot in Tokyo too, mostly in the Hiro-o Ebisu area..now my grandpa lives in Shinjuku where i plan to visit him.

disturbman

I'm born and bread in Paris, France. I've seen a lot of this country as l lived in many places outside Paris to and I've also lived in Crete, Greece, for some months and right know I'm settling down in Berlin, Germany.

I will stay there some years and hopefully find my way to some over places in Europe or, I hope, Japan.

Get the hell out of here. My mother was born in Glen Cove, out on the Island.

Aaron - Ask your mother if she's heard of the Suozzi Family, for 3 generations they have been the mayors of Glen Cove, Long Island. I think they win the elections because no one wants to change the names on the signage around town.

I'll ask her sometime today, thoguh it's been like 40 or 50 years since she lived there. I guess in her teens the family moved to Nyak.

Tenorikuma

I'm born and bread in Paris, France. I've seen a lot of this country as l lived in many places outside Paris to and I've also lived in Crete, Greece, for some months and right know I'm settling down in Berlin, Germany.

I read your introductory post in another thread with great interest. French and German are my two favourite languages, and I admire anyone who speaks both. :)

bikkuri bahn

Currently in Canberra, Australia.  Unfortunately the place has no trains!  For the previous 20 years I have lived in Sydney which has been my inspiration in rail.

http://www.conceptmodeltrains.com.au

That's surprising that a national capital has no trains...and unfortunate for a resident who likes them.  My condolences ;)