new SNCF cars too wide for some stations

miyakoji

It seems the adjustments of the platforms was actually planned for the delivery of these new trains: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-05-21/french-rail-to-shrink-platforms-for-new-too-wide-trains.html The narrowing of the platforms is only 1,5% of the budget, so it's actually no big deal.

IMHO, this is nothing compared with the Amtrak Acela being too hamburger to negotiate curves because of the tilt overhang.

But this is so true:

"When you separate the rail operator from the train company," he said, "this is what happens."

• Like 1

It seems the adjustments of the platforms was actually planned for the delivery of these new trains: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-05-21/french-rail-to-shrink-platforms-for-new-too-wide-trains.html The narrowing of the platforms is only 1,5% of the budget, so it's actually no big deal.

IMHO, this is nothing compared with the Amtrak Acela being too hamburger to negotiate curves because of the tilt overhang.

I don't see anything there implying that the platform modifications were actually planned.

• Like 1

I don't see anything there implying that the platform modifications were actually planned.

Ah, I got that from an anonymous source. Might have been planned or not, it's just 1,5% of the budget. No big loss in financial terms. More so the loss of reputations and efficiency. Also, the media a hyping it up like it's the end of the world.

I've also heard this on another board.  Outside train crazy places like Japan this doesn't seem to be so radical to have to modify infrastructure for new equipment.  Of course the political types see it as "waste" rather than improvements.

Edited by bill937ca

I've also heard this on another board.  Outside train crazy places like Japan this doesn't seem to be so radical.

That makes me wonder how Tōkyū and Sōtetsu are going to overcome the difference in width of their rolling stock when the through service from the Tōyoko line to the Sōtetsu network will commence... :P

Not like Amtrak never pulled a boner like this before with the Acela. Engineering upgraded the tracks but failed to take in consideration that tilting trains need more clearance when corning. Oops, forgot to move the cantanry and bridge abutments out when upgrading. *palm smack!

Then when PATransit ordered the SD400 for Pittsburgh, Siemens misread the spec sheet requiring the LRVs to climb an 18% grade as 1.8% grade.

So, I'll cut SNCF a pass.

When Hungary ordered new french made metro cars, they forgot to add the width of the externally mounted doors. Fortunately we only had to modify two platforms. For country platforms, there are no width problems because they are usually track level. (they only go up to the level of the rail surface) :D And yes, most new trains are low floor because nobody wants to fix 150 year old stations. (the very first station is still in use and even have part of the original building /the royal waiting hall/ built into the 'new' Eiffel designed buildig)

ps: The japanese solution for width difference can be flip up boards, like the ones the mini shinkansens are using.

When I think of the fact that at the moment they're changing the loading gauge of the whole tram network here in the Hague, I'm not surprised by anything. It was actually the politicians that found 10cm wider trams would be good for a nice change of pace and the wasting of millions of euros of tax money. Thank you very much. Not.

The new trains in the Netherlands feature a more elegant solution than the Shinkansen boards, with a simple retractable board.