Shizuoka Hobby Show May 15-May 18, 2014

A heads up.

The hobby shows of new fiscal year kick off this Thursday with The 2014 Shizuoka Hobby Show It starts this Thursday with 2 days of trade only and the then two days open to the public. Shizuoka is not exclusively model trains, but new products do get announced.

Shizuoka is followed by the Matusya Ginza train show in July which is manufacturer only.

This is followed by JAM (Japan Associaton of Model Railroaders) in mid August (8.22-8.24 in 2014).

Links are Japanese language.

• Like 1

I've talked myself into it.  I can leave Narita at 0759 I can get to Shizuoka at 1050.  I was planning to try and get to the Kashima Rinkai Railway but that can wait for another trip.  The hobby show looks like too much of an experiance to miss.

• Like 6

if you can get in the door haha.

have fun!

Yes, if I read the poster correctly they get over 70,000 through the door, the organisers of the major model train show in Brisbane a couple of weeks ago were pleased to get 6,000 over two days.

Still it will be an experience to see how the Japanese run a hobby show and I've been wanting to go to one since I saw a poster for the show in the Kato shop in 1990.

Have fun.

I am going as well but on tomorrow for business...

My recommendation is to take Shizuoka Railway (or Shizutetsu) train if you have time.  They have small train depot at Naganuma station, which can be seen from platform.

JR Shizuoka station > (about 5min walk) > Shizuoka Railway's Shin-Shizuoka station > (Shizutetsu line) > Naganuma station > (about 5min walk) > JR Higashi-shizuoka station > (JR Tokaido line) > JR Shizuoka station.

Both Shizutetsu and JR has very frequent train services, so not much waiting time.

This route works for backward also.

• Like 1

I'll be coming from Narita where the tour is staying for two nights, while they spend the day riding the Chiba Monorail and the Choshi Dentetsu which I have been on before I will head for Shizuoka.

My tentative timetable is

0759   dep Narita (Narita Exp #4)

0903   arr Tokyo

0936  dep Tokyo (Kodama #463)

1050  arr Shizuoka

1105  Catch a 20 or 22 bus (departs from stop 11 at the north exit of the station every 10 minutes), 6 stops/190 yen.

1113  arr Hobby Show

I might take in the Shizuoka Railway after I visit the show if I have time, the last time I rode it was in 1994 and that was after dark.

Edited by westfalen

Yes, if I read the poster correctly they get over 70,000 through the door, the organisers of the major model train show in Brisbane a couple of weeks ago were pleased to get 6,000 over two days.

Still it will be an experience to see how the Japanese run a hobby show and I've been wanting to go to one since I saw a poster for the show in the Kato shop in 1990.

I think that they should not have big issues, with japanese organization 70.000 people are a breeze

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comiket here they handle half a million people

looks similar to Nuremberg fair in Germany were most of the news for the European market are shown

The Hobby Search blog has a report on the 2014 show.  Its Tomytec items including a 1/12 bus shelter, a working cable car and previously announced items.  There is a couple of pictures of the box car locomotive and its power chassis.

I just have to say this for the cable car: "Are we there yet?"   :)

Seems really slow, but it looks kinda nice ~ Interesting to see how much the set will go for...

Interesting its just a back and forth operation reversing it looks like not the continous roundy round like the faller.

Cable and connector looks very klunky, maybe not final.

Jeff

• Like 1

I won't be able make it.  Have be back in Narita by late afternoon an wouldn't have much time at show.

Just found a blog on TamTam website (in Japanese though) for the show:

http://tamtamtetsudoubu.blog96.fc2.com/

Quite a lot of pictures! interesting is there's another painted train, what looked like a Keihan 600 series, but it doesn't seem like the one done by Tomytec:

http://blog-imgs-63-origin.fc2.com/t/a/m/tamtamtetsudoubu/platz_002.jpg

Is this a different train from the Masume one?

And HO fans rejoice for that's a release of HO scale Girls and Panzer train, to accompany the Tomytec HO scale Girls and Panzer bus!

http://blog-imgs-63-origin.fc2.com/t/a/m/tamtamtetsudoubu/platz_001.jpg