New Type: JR East E5 Shinkansen

JR East unveils Series E5 trainset

East Japan Railway has unveiled the pre-mass production Series E5 trainset for 320 km/h operation on the Tohoku Shinkansen. It will undergo performance and endurance tests later this year, ready for the series-build trains to enter service on the high speed line extension from Hachinohe to Shin-Aomori when it is completed in December 2010.

The Series E5 incorporates features developed using the two Fastech 360 experimental trainsets. These include the 15 m 'arrow-line' nose to minimise noise and micro-pressure waves as the train enters tunnels, bogie shrouds, smooth inter-car fairings, a low-noise pantograph, body tilting and full active suspension on all cars.

The eight motor and two trailer cars have aluminium bodies. According to JR East the colour of the upper body represents evergreen trees and the bottom white clouds, with a line of pink azalea in between.

Series E5 trains will be running at 320 km/h by the end of 2011, the highest speed in Japan, giving a Tokyo - Shin-Aomori journey time of 3 h 5 min.

Source

Have look at this 10 Minutes video on youtube. Some great pics, and lots of new views of that fantastic new Shinkansen. The best part of the video starts around Minute 6.

Shooting at midnight can't be fun. The cameramen having to be in position to set up their shot in the dark and because the train moves so quickly to be able to pan with it, not easy.

My favorite part is showing have they transported the train. Nice video!

Yup, it will be on public display today at the Niigata Shinkansen Depot.  Anybody in the Kanto/Joetsu areas that are interested had better hurry- the event will open in a few minutes and will be today (Sat.) only.

The E5 is ok, but it isn't really doing it for me.

I'm not a fan of its looks either, but it's the technology "under the hood", so to speak, and the operational usage that interests me.

The E5 is ok, but it isn't really doing it for me.

I'm not a fan of its looks either, but it's the technology "under the hood", so to speak, and the operational usage that interests me.

.... and for the first time in many years JR East introduces a new 'cabin'-class: Super Green Cars (the official brand name is not yet known). Just 3 seats in a row!

[/img]

For the looks of this train: The 500 series was the only one I liked instantly. All others took a while. Even the 0, 100, 200, 300 series.... My favourites at the moment are the N700, 800, E4 and especially the THSR 700T.

post-206-13569923309897_thumb.jpg

alpineaustralia
My favourites at the moment are the N700, 800, E4 and especially the THSR 700T.

Couldnt agree more except for the THSR 700T. What does that train look like?

The E5 still looks like a modified 700, it has a semi-boxy look to it unlike the 500 Nozomi which is very smooth in design.

The interior seating looks like a very comfortable ride with lots of space for the passenger.

Shinkansens are quiet, comfortable, smooth and efficient!  Can't wait to get on it in November!  :laugh:

I will never like E5 design but I will definitely appreciate the improvements and be wow at the interior design.

I am with a lot of people here, 500 is my fav.

JR East, Tokyo E5 organized S11 leading vehicle production system [3]

Taken on 2009 December 09. Commissioning goals for sure stops. Overall this is a day of Shinkansen Vehicles → Sendai → → Tokyo → Ueno → Oyama Shinkansen train running in the root of the Tokyo Center.

Call me old fashioned, but these are Shinkansen. Hakata 19 1/2 years ago. I think they've gotten progressively uglier after the 100 series, that was a nice looking train.

post-218-13569923561471_thumb.jpg