The Railway Museum (鉄道博物館) in Saitama

Hello,

In my last trip to Japan I visited The Railway Museum of Saitama. It preserves a lot of material from JR East and the JNR privatization. Reminds me a lot the Cité du Train of Mulhouse (France) in the way all the material is exposed, but it's smaller and has less real trains. On the other hand, it has a huge HO gauge layout running a lot of trains, and seems more educational. I found it a must see spot for railway enthusiasts.

The easiest way to arrive there from Tokyo is traveling to Omiya Station (there is a direct Shinkansen, 25 min.), and there you take the New Shuttle (not covered by JRPass, but cheap) and its first stop is in the museum.

I had a lot of fun talking to the person in charge of the layout and rolling stock maintenance and viewing his workshop.

pano-002.jpg

JAPO14_0389.JPG

JAPO14_0352.JPG

If you want to see more photos I published a lot in my blog (http://www.clubncaldes.com/2014/05/the-railway-museum-tetsudou.html).

Cheers,
Dani
  • Like 3

Hello Mr Dani,

Did you purchase a Tomix Oyama Railway Museum Koki 50000 container car?  It is only available from the museum shop and makes an excellent souvenir.

Hello Mr Dani,

Did you purchase a Tomix Oyama Railway Museum Koki 50000 container car?  It is only available from the museum shop and makes an excellent souvenir.

Oh noooo! I didn't see it!!!!!

But I bought the small book of the museum, key holders of my favorite stations, a Yamanote line hankachi, E6 chopsticks, .... XDDDDD

If I buy something else, my girlfriend fires me....

4975588520102.jpg?_ex=128x128

Next time I'll get it!! Thanks!

Dani

Edited by Dani