Hello from Tokyo!

ote-m

I have been living in Tokyo for many years, and have always been fascinated with the trains that run throughout Japan. I recently decided to start modelling and am looking into building a small setup for B Shorty trains, which are (relatively) cheap from hobby shops in my area. Been lurking around and have finally decided to make an account. This seems like a great community, I'm happy to be here!

Hey there! Welcome to the forums!

B-trains are a great way to start and to set up a small layout. However, you might want to step up to something more regular sized quickly. B-trains look cheap in the beginning, but relative to 2nd hand sets, they are not so well detailed, plus you need to get quite some extra parts for it. I think a complete 4-car train will set you back about the same as a normal 4-car train ¥1200*2 = ¥2400 for two B-train sets + ¥2100 for a power unit + ¥1300 for bogies (4 pairs) = ¥5800 for a simple powered train. Then you can also opt for detailing parts, like more realistic pantographs, extra weights for the cars, which adds another ¥1500 or so. You can easily go to ¥7500 for a simple powered and detailed 4-car B-train. Sure, it's cheaper than a finished and new full-size N-scale 4-car train, but more expensive then a 2nd hand one (which is good to start out with, I think).

Longer trains are even more expensive, since sets usually come with only one middle car and one front car. This means you will have to buy two more sets for only two extra cars in one consist, leaving you with two spare front cars. The costs for 4< trains can easily go through the roof if you're not careful.

However, if space is an issue and you're not planning on taking your trains out on rental layouts, B-trains are awesome. I have a few myself, but I'm more interested in full size N-scale trains, because I also run at a friend and on rental layouts.

To show you what awesome stuff can be done with B-trains on a relatively small space:

Not necessarily a cheap layout (DCC, consists longer than 4 cars, etc.), but surely small.

Anyway, not trying to talk you out of it, since I like them myself as well. It's all about personal taste and so on. :)

Welcome ote-m,

Btrains can be very fun and great for little layouts. Checkout the great layout nick yee did

http://japanrailmodelers.org/pages/modelingjapan/btrainshorty-pt1.html

Toni does have a point oce you trick them all out they do start to get closer to the price of full size trains. But you can do them in small bits to spread the costs out. They are also quite fun to assemble and trick out!

Keep us posted on your progress

Jeff

hello ote-m
i think Shorties are a good start
since you are from Tokyo you have a price advantage to most of us ;-)

so it shouldnt be to expensive to start with a shorty on something like the Kato CV1

Anyway, not trying to talk you out of it, since I like them myself as well. It's all about personal taste and so on. :)

Thanks for the welcome! The main reason I was looking at the B shorty trains is because I need to make some sharp turns in the setup I'm imagining. I have a very very small space to work with, and for this reason I'm thinking the shorty size might be best. You do have a good point about the price, though, I will definitely look into that more. Thanks for the pointers!

Hi ote-m, welcome to the forum. What's your favorite line in/around Tokyo, and why? :grin

Ooh, this is very difficult. The Chuo line is incredibly interesting, with the multitude of rapid trains and limited expresses. The Shonan-Shinjuku Line (or service) is impossibly convenient for coming up to Shinjuku and beyond from Yokohama. Plus the green cars on the Shonan and Tokaido are comfy and far cheaper than any Shinkansen service. If you'll let me move away from the Tokyo region, the Moonlight Echigo, running between Niigata and Shinjuku, is another great service. It's like a time machine back to before the Joetsu Shinkansen. Good question, though. I guess I don't have a single favorite.

• Like 1

I apologize in advance for the double post...

Keep us posted on your progress

Yeah, his layout is gorgeous. Until I have space enough for a layout with detail, I'm going to string track around a corner of a room. Hopefully it won't look too shabby. I'll post once I've made a couple purchases and further decions about the design. Thanks for the welcome! :)

since you are from Tokyo you have a price advantage to most of us ;-)

True, but I haven't done enough scouting around to various hobby shops to confirm that yet. I'll be visiting one today, and I'll be sure to compare prices.

Ote-m,

Just playing with some track is a great way to start! Take a look at what Barrie lovel did with his temporary layouts. He makes little scenery bits to fill in on temp layouts. Great way to play around with layout ideas before you nail anything down (and no rule you ever have to!) and also a great way to experiment with scenery techniques a little bit at a time!

http://japanrailmodelers.org/pages/modelingjapan/tempoary.html

Cheers

Jeff

• Like 1

Ote-m,

Welcome to the forum......there was a recent post of a layout that is suspended from the ceiling and with a pulley system is pulled down when in use.....I'm not saying to do something like that but it is interesting how some people solve space problems with layouts......BTW if I did that type of layout my wife would nix it in a heartbeat :)