JR Passenger Car Type KAYA 27-500

Matteo_IT

Matteo_IT

Hello,

I found this model on the web:

post-929-0-82086300-1399198135_thumb.jpg

but I don't well understand what is its function...

I understand replace the lounge coach in the Cassiopeia train, ok, but... also I think the model is powered!

Then:

- it's a hauled coach or it's with motor, then self propelled?

- It's a electric power generator (like Talgo trains) for train services? 

- why is used? the old Cassiopeia lounge I think had a power generation too...

Can somebody tell me more infos?

Regards everybody.

Matteo.

Sacto1985

Using Japanese designations, KaYa means a locomotive-hauled railroad car weighing over 47.5 metric tons that is used for departmental/inspection work--in short, it may be a crew dormitory car.

bikkuri bahn

It's a converted kani 24, equipped with diesel engines and generators for train hotel power.  The freight compartment has been converted to an office/storage space for in-train merchandise sales, etc. The car serves as a back-up for the kahafu E26.

• Like 1
Matteo_IT

Many thanks...

so it consist in a generator car... it's hauled, then not motorized...

But... for what reason has replaced the original coach? There is an original luxury lounge coach, with power equipment and it's replaced by a lower quality coach... it seems italian railways... :dontknow:

Nick_Burman

Matteo,

I guess that JR weighed the cost of hauling two lounge cars around and found out that it was wanting. Only hard-core rail enthusiasts would appreciate riding a lounge while looking at the hind end of an EF81. Also, adding the generator car meant that the lounge must have become a much quieter place, and it also allows a heavier hotel load.

I believe that the Kato model is indeed powered, so as to give a help to the locomotive on the typical grades and curves of a tatami-floor layout...

Cheers NB

Krackel Hopper

I guess that JR weighed the cost of hauling two lounge cars around and found out that it was wanting. Only hard-core rail enthusiasts would appreciate riding a lounge while looking at the hind end of an EF81.

Since the Cassiopeia consist is not turned around (that I'm aware of) the lounge car will be on the loco end during either the North or South trip. Eliminating one of the lounge cars implies that the trains lounge car does not have a view going one direction. Unless the generator and lounge car are swapped between runs...?

Edited by Krackel Hopper

Afaik one of the end cars on the cassiopeia is not a lounge but a luxury bedrooms car. Replacing the lounge with a generator/gift shop car seems to be logical if they have too much free capacity, not enough profits and they plan to haul the train on a route without energized catenary.

Edited by kvp
Davo Dentetsu

I did wonder about these myself.  So these are still used to this present day?

Perth Plane Spotting HD

The KaYa 27-500 is a replacement for the lounge car because the lounge car generates electricity. If that fails, then they need any sort of source of electricity otherwise the Cassiopeia can't continue service until a replacement or to be fixed. I don't think it is self propelled but it may be a slug.

Edited by Perth Plane Spotting HD
scotspensioner

It is a Power Generator coach used in place of the end lounge car.Similar vehicles were used on most of the sleeping car trains such as the Hokutusei and Twilight Express to supply power for lighting and heating.

They were not self propelled .The real one was out on test in the Omiya area recently sandwiched between two locos  -- Train Pochi on YouTube has film of it at an exhibition at Omiya works  over the weekend.

To get it there an EF 65-1000 was coupled to one end and EF 81-139 to the other end

Edited by scotspensioner
Additional information you need

The model is powered, to give the loco a hand with a full twelve coach Cassiopeia on gradients. There's a tiny potentiometer to adjust its speed to match the loco.

As I understand it the real thing was a backup for when the combined generator van/lounge needed servicing, and possibly for out of season use as well.

9 hours ago, Welshbloke said:

The model is powered, to give the loco a hand with a full twelve coach Cassiopeia on gradients. There's a tiny potentiometer to adjust its speed to match the loco.

Only the Tomix version has that feature.