Amagasaki Train Crash 2005 documentary

Hi all:

Tried searching for this in the forum but I think it has not been posted before:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHF_LpI8B84

A nice documentary looking into the deadly Amagasaki Train Crash back in 2005 which killed 107 and injured 562 people... It shows the side of JR human resource management which I really didn't know about. Whenever I look at Shinkansen or train drivers now, there'll be upmost respect and salute in their profession.  

• Like 2

In the end, that accident happened with a combination of improper management of train operators and the lack of an on-track ATS sensor near that critical curve just south of the Meishin Expressway that caused that accident. Had there been an ATS sensor installed properly, the train would have come to a stop well before that curve.

I remember JR West actually translated from the Japanese and published online a long report on that accident, too.

Does anyone know if JR West has changed this?  I can't see how this truly improves safety or performance of the railway.  Rather, it seems purely punitive.

I guess. It's about 60 minutes long, to give an indication.

I've been way too busy though so I haven't watched it yet but I plan to do so tomorrow.

The summary says it's about a recent change in law that makes it possible to bring heads of governmental organizations into court.

bikkuri bahn

For forumers in Japan, there will be a documentary about the accident airing on NHK BS1 on Tuesday night, 10~10:48pm.  It is a joint production of NHK and the BBC.

It was a great documentary that highlighted much of the issues which I am totally unaware of... Especially the part of 're-training' of the staff.. Really terrible and stressful and definitely frightening to go through. Well, behind all that glory and smart uniform and neat peak hat with white gloves lies much physiological pressure inside to meet the schedule and adhere to all signals in fear of entering 're-training' again.  

Salutes all JR train drivers.  

For forumers in Japan, there will be a documentary about the accident airing on NHK BS1 on Tuesday night, 10~10:48pm.  It is a joint production of NHK and the BBC.

Bikkuri, did you have time to watch this? How was it?

bikkuri bahn

Bikkuri, did you have time to watch this? How was it?

Yes, it was on a few minutes ago.  It was a more episodic production, with a focus more on the passengers eyewitness accounts, which probably reflects the BBC producers influence.  Nothing really new, though I was disappointed that little mention was made of the latest ATS-P not being installed on this line, with the curve in question only being governed by ATS-S, which lacks overspeed control.  Though the "nikkin kyouiku" system and the extremely tight scheduling in the face of competition with the private railways (Hankyu) contributed to the derailment, it really was this lack of proper ATS with fail-safe being installed (a fault of management), that was very important, IMO.

lurkingknight

I get a little twinge when they mention the retraining system and what in entails.. I'm not sure if westerners understand on a cultural level what most asian cultures mean by admitting to one's guilt whether they are or not, or if there are other factors into play. The documentary doesn't explain it very well, and the way it's presented doesn't really do it justice.. maybe some other asians here can help me elaborate on it.

To me the "retraining" indoctrination to force the admission out of the one who made the mistake is nothing special in terms of unusual punishment... chinese culture is the same way, you were 'responsible' for the task, you should admit the fault to safe the face of the others who may have been partially to blame. I mean, the rail company couldn't possibly be partially to blame for not having an automatic braking system installed, the overall culture of no late exceptions and whoever caused you to be late. none of that matters, you were the one driving the train, so you should own up to the entirety of the situation, so the rest of us aren't shamed for a perfect storm of events.

Edited by lurkingknight

maybe some other asians here can help me elaborate on it.

To me the "retraining" indoctrination to force the admission out of the one who made the mistake is nothing special in terms of unusual punishment... chinese culture is the same way, you were 'responsible' for the task, you should admit the fault to safe the face of the others who may have been partially to blame. I mean, the rail company couldn't possibly be partially to blame for not having an automatic braking system installed, the overall culture of no late exceptions and whoever caused you to be late. none of that matters, you were the one driving the train, so you should own up to the entirety of the situation, so the rest of us aren't shamed for a perfect storm of events.

Hi lurkingknight:

Coming from an Asian like myself, we do admit to our mistakes at work, be it minor or major. However, it then depends on the company on the 'disciplinary' action required for the employee who committed that mistake, based on the severity of the mistake performed. I'm lucky mine doesn't do disciplinary actions, but believe in discussing issues and solving problems together.

Getting back to the topic, the train driver was really stressed when he committed that over-speeding mistake. Yes if the ATS was there before the curve the incident would not have happened and that is no doubt a management lapse. The curve was reduced from initial (XXX - sorry I forgot the exact dimensions) larger radius to a much smaller one to accommodate for another track, which should have prompted the management to install a ATS in case drivers couldn't get used to the smaller tighter curve.  

Also, he was only 11 months experience when the accident happened, and within that 11 months he had already had a 're-training' session which left a seriously deep impression on him. He was determined NOT to get into that again, but somehow or rather he was running late when he first began the trip. That made him beat a 'red' signal, and overshot Itami station by 6 car length. These are already contributing factors to his stress level and he already knew he was again going for 're-training'. Thing that puzzled me was why he wasn't replaced when the train first pulled into terminal station before moving off in the other direction. I thought drivers were always exchanged at terminal stations to reduce fatigue?  

He probably also needed this job badly, as with any other job, if he was really unhappy with his job he could have left the job easily.

It's kinda a compilation of various events that contribute to this accident. Now the records look really bad on JR West.  

JR 500系

14 years down the road, this accident has not been forgotten as we pay tribute again to all the unfortunate on that ill-fated day of 25th April 2005

Das Steinkopf

The accident certainly left emotional scars on a lot of people and can be a very sensitive issue, Tomix produced models of the 207-1000 in the Tozai Line livery up until 2002, after the accident Tomix stated that they would never produce a model of the train again as a mark of respect to the victims. The worst thing to come out of this whole incident is JR West's refusal to give full answers to cause of the accident and try and squarely lay the blame on the driver and absolve itself of any blame for the role that it played in the disaster.