google streetview becomes google interiorview

miyakoji

This week's episode of Seasoning the Seasons (recommended) on NHK World was about a temple/neighborhood in Osaka called Hozenji, not far from Nankai Namba Station. I had a look at the Google map of the area, and when changing to streetview, I noticed these orange spots on the map. Pegman can be moved to them, just like the blue lines, but these are interiors; in this case, many of them are restaurants.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=loc:34.667858,135.502628&hl=en&ll=34.66798,135.503115&spn=0.002001,0.002894&t=m&z=19

Edited by miyakoji
Martijn Meerts

Hmm.. Best keep my windows shut all day, just in case Google wants to fly a drone into my house to take pictures :D

Google maps already had user generated photos on its maps, together with 360 degree views. Actually these 360 degree views were present on most US maps way before streetview was invented. This goes way back to the times when apple quicktime was required to view them. Streetview is just the google version of these 360 degree pictures taken along certain paths and integrated better than the old external links. In some cities hard to reach places were photographed from bikes for street view. Now there is a backpack version too, so google could have an even larger reach. In japan the streetview cameras had to be mounted lower, to avoid peeking above fences and in the past almost all interior panoramas were user contributed. The news is that these views are now integrated into the street view system. If you go London, Victoria station, you can take a walk inside the station's pedestrian areas. These paths are colored blue, so they are google generated content, while the Japanese images are orange, meaning another source.

Hmm.. Best keep my windows shut all day, just in case Google wants to fly a drone into my house to take pictures :D

They are all shops, restaurants, museums as cteno4 pointed out, public places etc. I was not implying that there are interiors of residences or other private facilities :)

yeah google has already announced google mouse glass. they are putting tiny helmets on mice to get into every nook and cranny of everyone's lives.

jeff

There is a view inside the shopping mall with the Keihan museum that is featured in another thread but you are in a mobile phone store. :sad1: