Grumpy Railroad

MikeMendoza22

MikeMendoza22

I began work on an L-Shaped layout this weekend.   Last week Santa brought be a ton of Kato track along with my Santa Fe Super Chief.   Santa also brought me a miter saw.   So I got to work building benches for the laout to now be in the gargage.   Things are starting to take some shape, but ideas continue to go through my head.     I am lacking a computer that I could load CAD programs onto, however I am using all kato unitrack, so I am just putting it all together on the benchwork and tweaking here and there.  This morning I decided that I am going to add 6 additional feet to the layout since I still have a lot more track!      

I still have a long way to go,  but thought I would share my progress!!  Would love to get some feedback. 

Edited by MikeMendoza22

Looks like you are having a lot of fun! Great! Amazing how you can plunk down unitrak and some blocks of wood and things run swimmingly!

You going to get bitten by any Japanese trains?!

Keep us posted!

Cheers

Jeff

MikeMendoza22

Yes well so far I do love the unitrack, it is so easy to work with.  As for the trains, I am taking it slow.  I love the Santa Fe Super chief,  I might purchase some more cars to go with the set.    The we shall see,  I do want some industry,  so I might got with more engines like this to keep in the same time period.....right now I'm going to start work on scenery and then we'll see whats left in the wallet for more trains.  

I would also like to add DCC....

Wow that was quick getting up your bench work! The great thing about Unitrack is you can get trains up and running fast.....How do you plan on making your inclines?

MikeMendoza22

what you dont like my inclines?? LOL    J/K

I have some foam risers on order,  plus i have some extra foam laying around that I can use for long runs!      Hey I am all new into this,  but I have been motivated/obsessed!!   I cannot wait to get home and seeing what I might have in the mail.  

(I cannot believe how much money I have spent alreadY)  Yikes!!   

thats whats fun with unitrak just keep trying things and find out what works and doesnt work, what you like and dont like!

jeff

Martijn Meerts

(I cannot believe how much money I have spent alreadY)  Yikes!!   

Welcome to our little "oh my god, I spent HOW much?!" club ;)

• Like 1
MikeMendoza22

Last night I added lights to my passenger cars!!   Success!  haha   I also added a bridge, and replaced some of my marvelous wood blocks with some foam.  It seems to run smoother on the foam!   Nothing is close to being permenant yet, still want to add one more section to go with the track I have. 

I'm consididering the Digitrax Zepher DCC start system.  Any thoughts??  

MikeMendoza22

Welcome to our little "oh my god, I spent HOW much?!" club ;)

Yea NO kidding!!    Good thing it was money from MY account or the wife might be kicking me out!    Luckily she is "On Board" with my project.....

Layout is looking good Mike, and so does that Super Chief - Santa Fe and Alaska have always been my favorite US roads.  But I have been resisting getting into Santa Fe in N Scale, so far...

Alan

• Like 1
MikeMendoza22

Layout is looking good Mike, and so does that Super Chief - Santa Fe and Alaska have always been my favorite US roads.  But I have been resisting getting into Santa Fe in N Scale, so far...

Alan

Thank you very much Alan!  I am really enjoying it so far, it runs very smooth and is in my opinion a gorgeous train!   I'm saving to get more passenger cars. 

Mike, you also might consider the NCE powercab. It upgradable with power booster (SB5) and easy to interface with a computer so you can use JMRI.

Dave

MikeMendoza22

Mike, you also might consider the NCE powercab. It upgradable with power booster (SB5) and easy to interface with a computer so you can use JMRI.

Dave

Dave,   Thanks for the info,  I was actually just looking at that and.....I actually have one in my "Cart" over at my favorite online store!   Just waiting to "pull the trigger"  

I like hooking things up to my computer...does it work with a Mac.?

MikeMendoza22

Oh I just love when the mailman comes!!    

I ordered this track weeks ago,  final came in today!!  I love the tight turn radius!   

MikeMendoza22

Update and Questions for Kato experts!

I am now up and running with two trains, with two Kato controllers and a double crossover.  The layout is begining to take shape, though I keep tweeking it to make it even better!   I'm now running my Super Chief as well as a Union Pacific frieght train.   (I need more box cars)

My question is,  the inside track seems to be a lot faster, I keep throttling back the power and it still flies by the outside track?   Is this due to a slightly shorter track??  

Mike

mike,

Have you switched controllers on the inside and outside line? if it goes with the controllers then its just a difference in the voltage output of the controllers. slap a voltmeter on each to see if they match. also sometimes the controller handles may be rotated a notch or two on the pot stem so the same clock position is actually different settings.

do you notice any part of the outside track where the train speeds up or slows down? if you only have one or two power feeds and you notice a speed change somewhere in the outer loop then you probably have a few track connections that are not quite perfect and getting a little voltage drop. with regular dc controllers usually with unitrak after 10-20' you will notice a voltage drop due to the nickel silver rail and its impedance. Dirty or loose track joints can make this shorter. of course there will be a little bit of difference due to the length (20.7cm or 8" for a simple loop with 33mm kato separation). if the lap gap is more than that then its a voltage drop in the outer or different controller outputs.

cheers

jeff

• Like 1